Halflings 101: How to Apply

Started by Sanvean, June 07, 2006, 04:58:39 PM

We've had a few applications and are looking for some more.  Send the description and background to myself, Nusku, and Olgaris, and cc mud.

Some tips:

Halflings can be rangers, warriors or merchants (crafters). Vivaduans and Rukkians are possible, but in order to keep these roles proportionate with the rest of the tribe, need to be cleared beforehand.

Valid subguilds are: acrobat, archer, armormaker, forester, general crafter, guard, hunter, jeweler, physician, scavenger, stonecrafter, thief, and weaponscrafter.

Use simple names that do not have meanings or fictional counterparts. The names Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, or Bilbo are right out. Here are some sample names: Abla, Bitta, Eibi, Guinni, Kita, Ninki, Vanyi.

Like all PC descriptions, halfling descriptions should be at least four full lines, free of typos, and not impose interpretation on the viewer.

Unlike regular PC descriptions, sdescs should start with "a" or "an" in order to make PCs feel like part of the overall tribe.

Avoid using uncommon words in sdescs, such as "maiden", "lass", "urchin", "scallywag", "hedge-trimmer", etc. The preferred form is "a/an (adjective) halfling". If you feel it is necessary to include your gender in the sdesc, indicate it with "female" or "male".

Do not refer to concepts or creatures that don't belong in the Grey Forest. For example, "a mouth full of enough teeth to scare the meanest templar" would be out of place and jarring.  

Do not describe your character as child-like unless you mean child-like by halfling standards.  

Halflings start as full adults.

Do not describe tattoos in the main description. A halfling tattoo artist with a repertoire of halfling-themed tattoos in a specific style exists in-game and is free to use. Similarly, warpaint is available in the game and should be left out of the description.

Here's an interesting read:

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=97892&highlight=halfling#97892

This was posted when the last Halfling group was started up:

Quote from: "Sanvean"Halfling culture and mentality is very different from what we'll call human culture, despite the fact that it contains elves, half-elves, dwarves, half-giants, muls, etc., on Zalanthas.

It's just too alien - just as communication with a mantis, for example, is a case where the human mind simply cannot comprehend the patterns comprising the communication.  When halflings speak with non-halflings, they might communicate in flashes of images or emotion, but that is about the extent of it.  That's what I've urged the halfling players to stick with.

OOCly, we had a sudden rash of players doing "contact halfling" as soon as the clan opened, and I found this irritating.  They are not tiny humans, they don't want to come visit you, and they don't want to bring you baskets of delicious cookies and grubs from the Grey Forest.  You are not a person to them - you are meat on the hoof. On the positive side of my irritation, this did lead to interesting discussions and clarification of what such communication should look like, which I appreciated, and the halfling players have been swell about it, as far as I can tell, since then.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Are halflings going to be open for play for awhile?

I know I'd like to try one, but am in the middle of a role that I don't want to retire.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Barring any serious problems, yeah, they will be for a while.

Reading that OOC explanation of what human's are to halflings ("meat on the hoof") does that mean they are out to hunt humans and the like as meat? Or was that just over-emphasizing that they dont look at humans as friendly?

Being hunted has a certain RP appeal to it :)

Then again, not sure about the tied to a spit and roasted over and open fire part....

Quote from: "Vynestra"Reading that OOC explanation of what human's are to halflings ("meat on the hoof") does that mean they are out to hunt humans and the like as meat? Or was that just over-emphasizing that they dont look at humans as friendly?

It doesn't mean that they are just out there to hunt humans, but humans, dwarves, elves, and etc, are a part of the food chain.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Why do halflings attack humanoids? It seems like they would just prefer simpler creatures that couldn't fight back as much as a humanoid.

Then again, maybe it's the same reason that some people eat alligator meat and the like.

jcarter wrote:
QuoteWhy do halflings attack humanoids? It seems like they would just prefer simpler creatures that couldn't fight back as much as a humanoid.
Maybe they don't want you cutting down their trees, poaching their game, and stealing their stuff?
Eating the intruders is just an added bonus, I'd say.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Well, I'd say you're average half-elven ranger is a far more appetizing meal than a tembo anyday.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: "jcarter"Why do halflings attack humanoids? It seems like they would just prefer simpler creatures that couldn't fight back as much as a humanoid.

Have you seen the average Zalanthan animal?  Most of the larger ones are far more dangerous than the average humanoid.  I'd wager that halflings either have large appetites or they don't eat very often but gorge themselves when they do.  Thus, they need to hunt big game.

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"jcarter wrote:
QuoteWhy do halflings attack humanoids? It seems like they would just prefer simpler creatures that couldn't fight back as much as a humanoid.
Maybe they don't want you cutting down their trees, poaching their game, and stealing their stuff?
Eating the intruders is just an added bonus, I'd say.

I think that is probably it.  I've never played a halfling, but I don't think they go out of their way to hunt humanoids.

The problem is that Tuluk has a crushing over-population problem (from halfling standards) and those people would just love to spread out across the grey forest and raze everything.  Humans have a huge sense of entitlement and think they own everything they touch.  Just look at the charming affect Allanak has had on its local environment.  The halflings aren't about to attempt to go to war with Tuluk over the issue, but when they find intruders in their territory they discourage them from coming back again by killing them.  It is a pretty effective strategy.  Leaving carcasses lying around in the forest can encourage disease, and it is wasteful to boot.  No point in letting 100 or more pounds of meat rot in the forest when you can put it to good use.  Waste not, want not.

If they could talk to those intruders they might try telling them to go away and not come back, or else, but they can't talk to them.  Making shooing motions is generally ineffective.  The old poisoned spear trick seems to be the only thing that works consistently, so that is what they use.

It isn't that halflings are rabidly aggressive, they are just protecting themselves from aggressive neighbours.  If people kept breaking into your home, and then helping themselves to whatever they find in the fridge or your closet, wrecking stuff they don't steal in wanton displays of vandalism, killing your cat, your kid, and your houseplants . . . and they did this on a weekly or daily basis, you might get a little militant about protecting your home too.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"It isn't that halflings are rabidly aggressive, they are just protecting themselves from aggressive neighbours.  If people kept breaking into your home, and then helping themselves to whatever they find in the fridge or your closet, wrecking stuff they don't steal in wanton displays of vandalism, killing your cat, your kid, and your houseplants . . . and they did this on a weekly or daily basis, you might get a little militant about protecting your home too.

I somehow doubt I'd be inclined to eat the neigbors regardless.  Maybe a simple reason as well, plenty of meat, and has an interesting taste.  Humans will eat mantis meat, athough they don't go out of their way to get it.  Humans are to the halflings, what mantis are to humans, alien.  Otherwise known as my 'tastes like chicken' argument.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Quote from: "jcarter"Then again, maybe it's the same reason that some people eat alligator meat and the like.
I'd say it is. If I was a halfling I'd have certain tastes. Perhaps I like plump humans, or perhaps I prefer muscley ones, or perhaps I prefer elves. If I played a halfling I'd definitely have humanoids be a part of my diet (assuming that was okay by the staff), but it wouldn't be all of my diet (and might be considered a delicacy).

And hmmm... I wonder if I can create a char who eats mantis...... Are mantis skinnable? I believe humans/dwarves/half-giants/elves/half-elves/gith/halflings aren't (in order to avoid having your average PC Allanaki go and eat a 'rinther half-elf because they've run out of their starting coin), but I wonder if Mantis are.....

Can halflings codedly eat people (I.e skin a humanoid PC/NPC and get meat)? I think that would be really neat.

"The skinned body of the tall, muscular man lies crumbled on the ground."
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Hymwen"Can halflings codedly eat people (I.e skin a humanoid PC/NPC and get meat)? I think that would be really neat.

"The skinned body of the tall, muscular man lies crumbled on the ground."
I think they can actually use the command "eat" whereas humans/etc. can't.

Oh, I have some questions:

Are there a couple of "sample halfling descriptions" somewhere?

Do they have a sort of community? Is there a Halflingville or do they all roam wild?

Can anyone give me an example of a viable halfling character concept?
b]YB <3[/b]

Just a little something...

Quote from: "http://www.armageddon.org/general/races.html#halfling"Halfling

Halflings appear to other races as children with very wise faces. Standing between 42 and 50 inches in height, halflings are indeed the smallest of the humanoids. Skin and eye colour among halflings tends to vary between a pale cream and a muddy brown, although other colour- ations are not uncommon: pale blue, greenish, or coppery skin can all be found. Halflings are virtually hairless except for the typical unruly mane of hair which tops their heads.

Halflings are often far more agile than other races (assuredly moreso than humans and dwarves), and their peculiar culture renders them somewhat more wise as well. Due to their diminutive size, their strength is much lower than human norms, and their endurance is somewhat lacking as well. After existing for centuries alongside poisonous forest creatures, halflings have developed an extremely high resistance to poison. In addition, possibly due to the nature of halfling culture, they are highly resistant to magick. The halfling diet consists primarily of fresh kills from the hunt (halflings regard all animal species as potential food stock, including the other intelligent races but excluding other halflings), but they are well able to subsist on food which humans, elves, and dwarves find palatable as well.

Roleplaying: Halfling culture is extremely different than the societies of elves, dwarves, and men. Among the attributes stressed in halfling society are tolerance, learning, and a oneness with nature. Aggressiveness, a desire to steal, or a will to decieve would be foreign qualities to a typical halfling. While seemingly an eminently desirable race to befriend, there are several aspects of halfling life which set them forever apart from other races. Foremost, halflings are extremely carnivorous and will readily consume nearly any freshly killed creature--a practice which tends to turn the stomach of others. Also, by the standards of other races, halflings are a backward and savage people (not to mention dangerous). Finally, halflings do not learn the languages of other races very well, as the concepts contained within the tongues of others are foreign to the halfling.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

are there more docs about halfling philosophy and/or role play that are available to prospective applicants? The information about halfings, both in fiction (submissions) and in the docs seems to be light on this topic.

I'd e-mail the Halfling Imms, they may not read the website. There are clan docs for halflings but I personally don't know if you can get access when deciding if you want to play halflings.

If people want to mail us, we can send a copy of the Halfling "What You Know" and some sample descriptions.

Heh. Do we have to be interested in playing a halfling to get those docs? I'd just like to see more about what Arm halflings are like.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: "Cale_Knight"Do we have to be interested in playing a halfling to get those docs? I'd just like to see more about what Arm halflings are like.
Find out IC. :)

You'd probably get much more information that way anyhow.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Are the Halfling documents listed in the current helpfiles going to be updated along with a fresh perspective on halfling culture, or is the information in help race_halfling still applicable?

I'm asking this because currently it states that halflings are tolerant, learning creatures with a love for nature, they also do not have it in their nature to deceive or steal. How and more importantly why would such wise and learned creatures not attempt to communicate or trade with the other sentient races.. or for that matter, eat them.

As it stands it seems that this culture would isolate itself so completely that it would have no need to interact with the rest of the world outside the grey forest..

:arrow: If they aren't deceitful and they don't steal, there would be no halfling raiding parties.

:arrow: If they are tolerant and learning, they would not savagely murder those they found wandering in the forest.

If the previous two statements are true, why can there not be tribal halfling representatives sent into the major cities to establish trade? A halfling outpost open for trade to outsiders?

If they're not true, then let's allow halflings to be truly savage and primitive, form raiding parties and murder and eat whoever's slow enough to get caught. Give the forest some real sharp teeth...

I'm tossing these questions and ideas out because I love the fact that halflings have been reopenned and I'm curious to see what direction they will be taken in as far as adding Roleplay to the greater story of Zalanthas. Savage or tolerant, trusting or deceitful-tricksters.. let's pick some brightly coloured objectives and make it either or but not both.

For what it's worth, I'd love to see gith and mantis remain as alien cultures that are too savage to befriend.. Halflings however, the little tolerant learning nature-lovers that they are... let's open the door and let them in as a new race to RP with on a regular basis. Maybe they will teach us peace and understanding, love and unity... or maybe they'll just eat our babies. Either way, I hope they aren't going to be a self-contained eco-system of isolated roleplayers.

And that my friends, is my unsolicited two 'sids :)

Quote from: "Vox"stuff

You just want to play a halfling whiran with your half-giant buddies in tuluk...
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one