Noob Tutorial

Started by Cavus, May 13, 2006, 07:50:47 AM

Quote from: "Larrath"I am very much in favor of an optional Tutorial area.

It could have one room dedicated to every major area in the game to help newbies actually understand what the Sea of Silt, or the 'rinth or Red Storm are like.
When I started, I thought the 'rinth was a giant maze carved into a mountainside a few leagues to the north of Allanak.  And I had no understanding of the Allanaki vs. Tuluki hatred.

So I really do believe it could be great.  People could go from section to section and learn inside the game, which is much easier (in my opinion) than reading all of the documents.  The new players' area could have something like 50% of the documents, only the bare essentials to be able to play and not die.

Not all new players come back asking for more after being killed by a templar.  Some of them don't even understand why they died and get frustrated and go elsewhere.

Wow, I like this idea too.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Quote from: "Gaare"IMO if a player is that lazy for even reading a couple of quickstart pages, then visiting bazaar.. then spend some coins to buy a bone longsword. There is little chance ARM addiction virus will affect her.
I don't think that's really true.  Some players will come to Arm and 'get' the game no matter how little help was given to them.
I didn't know the GDB existed and wasn't able to access the Armageddon main page until a couple weeks or so of playing.
I'm still here, so what?

For the sake of the few players who need an extra push to get started, why is having an optional add-on harmful?  An optional tutorial that can be skipped isn't going to turn anyone away as long as it doesn't take two hours to go through.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

The original "mud school" for RPI mud idea that I had was PC independent...

You could select to go through it and you would briefly possess the body of some other NPC who was set to go through a set of scripted events that epitomized the world, politics, and gameplay of the realm in some way.

For example, for zalanthas:

... you briefly posess the spirit of the green-eyed human male.

Type "stop" at any point to return to the main menu...

You are forced to "look".

A crowded marketplace bazaar [NESW]
there is a description here, indicating many people and a lot of bustle.  There is some weather and other echoes that kind of show what the city might be like as well as the region in which it is located.
There are some NPCs here.

You are forced to "emote walks up to ~NPC and humbly lowers his head."

the green=eyed human male walks up to an NPC water merchant and humbly lowers his head.

The NPC water merchant says something and does something...

blah blah blah stuff happens... maybe you are invited into the back of the water seller's tent to work a little because you have no money to pay for water and you're attacked and enslaved.

You wake up (almost immediately), and find yourself in a dirty slave wagon.  The wagon rumbles... a couple of slaves talk to you about whatever is relevant..

The wagon stops, you're unloaded, and a templar addresses you (so you know what law enforcement is like)... then a group of Tuluki-backed Rinth rebels attacks the templar and his men and rescues all the slaves, shouting appropriate propaganda... blah blah blah... and takes you to a "safe" place where you are given food, water, clothes, a place to sleep, and shown something like:

You are forced to type "quit test"

Yep.  You can quit here.

Please type quit to exit and go back to the main menu.

Or, alternatively, it goes badly, and you die - then you get to see what happens to your body and some sign that it is decidedly a permanent death.

I'd rather have it done using rooms.

You have one room to represent each city:

Tutorial - Red Storm Village
Red Storm is positioned to the south of the city-state of Allanak, and is unique for not having legal slavery.  Perhaps the southernmost settlement in the Known World, Red Storm is positioned close to the immense Sea of Eternal Dust to the south, where the terrible silt horrors lie in wait of prey.  Red Storm's surroundings are almost completely desolate, and most of its denizens buy their water by sifting spice--a drug--out of the sands or by doing tailoring work.  Red Stormers are very reserved as a whole, possibly because Elementalists are allowed to reside there as long as they don't disturb the peace.  The mentality is to turn a blind eye and to not stick one's nose where it doesn't belong, and those who fail to grasp it are dealt with harshly.  Red Storm is managed by a mysterious entity called the Sandlord, and it is his Militia that keeps the peace.
An escaped mul is here, drinking some ale.
A slender, pale-skinned magicker sits alone at a secluded corner.
A dusty half-elven hunter is here, talking to some whores.
A dwarf stands here, sifting for spice.

Looking at each character would give a summary of who the PC is and what they do for a living.  The magicker, for example, lives in Red Storm out of fear of Allanak's templarates, sacrifices small children and dreams of turning the Grey Forest into a rock-filled valley in tribute to his element, Ruk.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

The reasons I never settled on a static room description approach were:

1) It's largely just a static extension of the help files, which makes little sense.

2) It gives no practical introduction to game mechanics for those who are not already familiar with DIKU mud syntax (much less the Armageddon-specific code nuances that modify that syntax)

3) It gives little real sense of gameplay for people who have never gamed

4) It gives little real sense of how gameplay on THIS game is different from other muds with static descriptions, NPCs, etc.

5) Without some active context, it's still pretty unclear what is going on to a lot of players.

Quote from: "Larrath"For the sake of the few players who need an extra push to get started, why is having an optional add-on harmful?  An optional tutorial that can be skipped isn't going to turn anyone away as long as it doesn't take two hours to go through.

Very well you may be right, and I may be very wrong, but I kinda have a feeling that adding any type of OOC on black game screen disturbs the atmosphere. Although that would be great to read something you just mentioned, I believe that kind of information suits better somewhere on web page.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Quote from: "Larrath"I'd rather have it done using rooms.

You have one room to represent each city:

Tutorial - Red Storm Village
Red Storm is positioned to the south of the city-state of Allanak, and is unique for not having legal slavery.  Perhaps the southernmost settlement in the Known World, Red Storm is positioned close to the immense Sea of Eternal Dust to the south, where the terrible silt horrors lie in wait of prey.  Red Storm's surroundings are almost completely desolate, and most of its denizens buy their water by sifting spice--a drug--out of the sands or by doing tailoring work.  Red Stormers are very reserved as a whole, possibly because Elementalists are allowed to reside there as long as they don't disturb the peace.  The mentality is to turn a blind eye and to not stick one's nose where it doesn't belong, and those who fail to grasp it are dealt with harshly.  Red Storm is managed by a mysterious entity called the Sandlord, and it is his Militia that keeps the peace.
An escaped mul is here, drinking some ale.
A slender, pale-skinned magicker sits alone at a secluded corner.
A dusty half-elven hunter is here, talking to some whores.
A dwarf stands here, sifting for spice.

Looking at each character would give a summary of who the PC is and what they do for a living.  The magicker, for example, lives in Red Storm out of fear of Allanak's templarates, sacrifices small children and dreams of turning the Grey Forest into a rock-filled valley in tribute to his element, Ruk.

Dude, Larrath you're a genius--yes, yes, yes, I agree with you fully.

Edit: Also, I really like the idea of the tutorial being abstract.  I think that is very important to keeping the tutorial a separate entity from the game world.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

I sort of like Larrath's idea, although I do think just experiencing Davien's example of a tutorial would be neat to see.

But, maybe instead of something like what Larrath did (you're in a room and it describes the city-state I think is what it is) you could maybe get a description of the city-state you 'point to' in the HoK when you point to it.
Sort of like:

point canada

Description of the city-state 'Canada'
Canada is close the the northern pole of the world, it can be very cold in the winter, and very hot in some parts in the summer. Canada's national past time is hockey, and everyone adds 'eh' onto the ends of their sentences. Blah blah blah Canada rules blah blah blah

Welcome to the world of Zalanthas!

A large, warm igloo [S]
We don't actually all live in igloos blah blah blah.
An eskimo stands here

That's my take on it.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

Quote from: "davien"The reasons I never settled on a static room description approach were:

1) It's largely just a static extension of the help files, which makes little sense.

2) It gives no practical introduction to game mechanics for those who are not already familiar with DIKU mud syntax (much less the Armageddon-specific code nuances that modify that syntax)

3) It gives little real sense of gameplay for people who have never gamed

4) It gives little real sense of how gameplay on THIS game is different from other muds with static descriptions, NPCs, etc.

5) Without some active context, it's still pretty unclear what is going on to a lot of players.

Actually, I find I really like 'static room descriptions'.  It frustrates me to no end to have the MUD spit info out at me.

You could have an intro room that would spit info out at you like how to look and move and such, if you wanted.  That might be nice, but I like Larraths setup.
, / ^ \ ,                   
|| --- || L D I E L

Quote from: "Aldiel"

Actually, I find I really like 'static room descriptions'.  It frustrates me to no end to have the MUD spit info out at me.

You've pegged the number one reason that my format is impractical.  And I completely concede the point.  However - consider what it's like to be stuck in the Tavern during night while a sandstorm is brewing during peak hours with 60 players online.

It might also not be entirely unrealistic to suggest that

1) you could repeat the intro as many times as you liked if you missed something

2) maybe even offer a different demo per class available to give people an idea of one epitome play through

3) accustom people to what might be a realistic pace of scroll and interaction during actual gameplay.

You could also put in more prompters if you really needed it, to compensate for folks who haven't figured out mud clients yet, or provide some very limited interactive context during the course of an active tutorial.

I'll have to dig up the intro I wrote 8 years ago and see if it can be revised to curretn standards and post it.  If nothing else, it'll be a lark for folks to read.

I don't see what would be wrong with a well donewell done ooc zone or newbie school that teaches the basic commands and maybe a bit abotu the setting. basic commands aren't all in the quickstart or even easy to find ont he web page. Some are nowhere except for the helpfiles - leave, anyone? And I think the majorty of players we get are either already familiar with (diku) Muds or have someone show them everything - I remember how helpless I was tryign my first mud on my own. Even the buy and sell syntacx is tricky in this game! And the sell helpfile tells aou something about abrtering - confusing, really.

So this probably isn't a question of effort or 'we don't want the players that can't even read a few helpfiles' - like I said, even the most necessarry information like leave isn't that easy to find.
I think we're loosing most palyerst aht show up here with armageddon as their first mud. Almost everyone on the 'where did you start out thread has been mudhopping or gaming for years before they came here. an optionaly place to go to from the ahll of kings would be nice.

That's one of the things new players see first and what might get them playing or not, we could really put some effort in there, and if it's just a few rooms to try out commands safely without doing it in game.

Oh, and no NPCS or little critters to kill, please - keep it according to the game, killing NPCs there would give a VERY WRONG impression.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

I would like to see a newbie zone of some sort that is available only to players who have just made their account.  New players would be allowed the option of entering the game to explore it and get a feel for it - they could select from say a dozen character descs for any given race / gender.  That way they could see some good descs.  Have players submit a bunch via submissions or the request tool.

The only other people who could access the zone are people who request to be listed as guides.  And, therefore, are screened by the imms.

In this mini-zone a guide would have a character they could access while _not_ connected to their main character.  A guide could then talk OOCly with true newbies and help them out, answer their questions, and show them a few things.

I figure guides could do their guide thing during, for example, work hours.  Just idle in the zone and have your system beep at you if someone logs in.  That way they could be connected without having to pay too much attention until a newbie logs in - but if someone didn't have the time to actually interact with a newbie quickly after they log in then don't be there idling.  That defeats the purpose.  :)

Put in a limit as to how many guides could be in at once and have it closely monitored by the imms so it doesn't become a chat room for players.

I believe we do lose newbies who get overwhelmed.  

I try and help out newbies when I discover them.  I take them aside in the game to a quiet place and have an ooc conversation where I get their questions and I try and answer as best I can.

There's a certain lass who now plays a lot and is wonderful whom I did that for.  We talked about how the emote system worked, practiced a few emotes, and I had an npc slap my char's ass (props to the imm who assisted us that evening).  I like to believe I made a little bit of a difference for her.

Let's encourage new players and make them feel welcome.  I freely admit that I sometimes tone down the reactions of my characters for true newbies - the very new players are easy to spot and they are there for us to help out.

It's been my experience that newbies stay where people are kind to newbies.  When friends help friends out with Armageddon you often get a player who will stay.  When someone takes a few extra minutes of their time to help out a newbie - you tend to get someone who stays.  People like to feel like they belong and are welcome.  I believe, in my heart, that having guides talk to extremely new people who are just giving the world a test view will help bring more people on board.  

Room descriptions are fine and dandy but nothing like talking to someone.  Help files are great but, again, they are nothing like talking to someone.  Exploring is a delight but it is nothing like talking to someone who is willing to help.  And I mean talking in the game environment where it can be overseen by the immortal staff - not via PMs or an instant messenger which may develop bad habits from the get-go.

I had thought something less complex than what everyone's talking about. Someone who's only played tabletop, or a non-diku mud, or a mud with a social list and not a detailed emote system really needs a safe place to practice before they actually play the game. It could be simple like this:

You're in a practice room. The combat system has been turned off.

>A green-haired troll is here. You can TELL him things.
>A mottled kobold is here, lounging on a lounge.
>A message board is here (type look board).
>A table is here. If you wish to use it, type SIT TABLE and read HELP SIT for more information.

giggle
>We don't know what you're trying to do. Please type HELP COMMANDS.
kill troll
>Though the combat system is turned off, this is what it looks like when you try to kill something in the game:

[copy of a very brief combat log inserted here]

>Please type HELP COMBAT_COMMANDS to see a list of all commonly known commands used in combat.

help combat_commands
>The following are commonly known commands used in combat: kill, attack, disarm, kick, bash, join, rescue, etc. etc. etc.

suicide
>Armageddon doesn't have a suicide command. Please read HELP RETIRE for more information.

and so on and so forth
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I think that this is a touchy situation.  I was fortunate enough to have been introduced to the game by someone who'd had experience with it, and would not even allow me to log in and make an account until I had read all of the documentation and went through things such as the emote help file.  Sure, it's a lot to peruse and learn, but it was extremely helpful.  When I first started playing, I often had the website open to the emote help file.

Since becoming a helper, I've had quite a few new people, and some not so new people, come to me on instant messengers, or through emails with loads of questions.  I hope more will come to me with questions about the game, so that I can continue to give back the help I received in the beginning.  (Yes, I know I am set away all the time, but I do it to keep the idiots away who ask things like "whats ur asl?" and not becuase I am actually away.)  I think that other players are an excellent way to combat the learning curve, especially the helpers.  Please, please do not be afraid to use them.

PC to PC interaction in the game is also a great way to learn.  I've seen some newbies who have gone into taverns, walked around, and then either gone linkdead or logged out without leaving, or even saying a word to anyone.  I have also seen newbies who have asked a PC a question, and before the PC had the chance to respond, walked off.  I've also seen some who have stopped to ask people questions, and ended up getting hired into a clan and sticking around for a long time.  I think the PC to PC interaction is something that should be more strongly encouraged to newbies, because I believe this will help a lot more than a tutorial area would.  My first PC started off in a city, but was someone who had grown up outside it and knew little to nothing about it.  Personally, I would recommend more newbies create characters like that for their first PCs, because it helps a person to learn a LOT that way.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

http://www.robertpate.net/somethingspecialforyou/arma-walk/arma-steps.htm

help me finish this. I'm spreading myself a dozen ways and I don't have time to work on this now, but I think it'd really help, without having to have a noobbie school

p.s.
post advice and suggestions or even full paragraphs here:
http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15822

Here's what I found with some minor updates to things with emotes and a couple of descs at the end.  Again, this is old, and I've no idea if I missed something or am subsequently inaccurate.

This is just basically an idea.

NOTICE: This demo relies on scripted events to simulate a playing experience and introduce you to a handful of introductory concepts. Unlike other "role-playing" videogames, the majority (if not all) of your interactions, plots, and quests will occur with other players rather than scripted events. The gameplay you experience may vary depending on other players who are logged in when you play and how you react with them. For some parts of this demo, you will need to respond to certain prompts. For others, the prompts will be automatically provided for you.

DEMO PROMPT: Type go to begin
<Type "stop" at any time to stop this demo.> (this is issued as the infobar is issued, and should be constantly at the bottom of the screen)
>go

The Bazaar [SW]
It is warmer here due to the press of bodies wandering through the many stalls and stands arranged here. There is almost no spare space to navigate, as every empty foot has been used to maximum efficiency. Here and there, smoke from vendor-maintained fires wafts through the air, lending the addition of the smells of savory meats and fruits to the pungent smell of hundreds of desert people voraciously bartering for goods.
A ramshackle stand hung with jerky is here.
An open-faced tent baring barrels of water is here.
Sitting on a rug, a dust-covered elven man is here, displaying his wares.

From the south, you hear a voice shout, in sirihish:
  "Liiiive an'mals! Tame live an'mals! Caged and Leashed!"

From the west, you hear a voice shout, in sirihish:
  "Blade shar-pen-ing! We'll repair wear and tear!"

DEMO PROMPT: You can 'examine' things, including yourself.  Type "exa me"
> exa me

This man's physique is the obvious product of a hardscrabble life.  His stature and posture is markedly affected by malnutrition. His bird-thin chest and stick-like arms rely on a wiry, rope-like musculature whose size very likely belies his strength. Sunken cheeks and hollow green eyes are the most prominent parts of his face, a mop of dusty-colored hair atop his head.
The thin, wiry man is in excellent condition.

<worn about body> a dirty sandcloth robe
<worn as belt> a length of rope
<worn on belt> a small bag
<worn on back> a ragged sack

DEMO PROMPT: examine or look at only show you what is actually visible. Try typing "eq" for "equipment" to see everything you really have on.
> eq

Your equipment
<worn about body> a dirty sandcloth robe
<worn on torso> ragged, torn sandcloth shirt
<worn on legs> a pair of dirty linen pants
<worn as belt> a length of rope
<worn on belt> a small bag
<worn on back> a ragged sack

DEMO PROMPT: You can also type "score" or "sc" to see more information about your character. Try typing "sc"
> sc

You are Rhun
Sdesc: the thin, wiry man
Objective:
Long Description:
Code generated ldesc

You are 24 years, 2 months, and 31 days old,
which by your race and appearance is young.
You are 62 inches tall, and weigh 7 ten-stone.
Your strength is below average, your agility is extremely good,
 your wisdom is average, and your endurance is good.
You are neither hungry nor thirsty.
Your health is 103(103), you have 109(115) stamina, and 105(105) stun.

You have been playing for 1 days and 12 hours.
You are standing.
You are currently speaking sirihish with a southern accent.

DEMO PROMPT: Now, less about you, more about the world! Type "look stand"
> look stand

Apparently comprised of animal hides, this thick-skinned tent has been arranged atop a framework of long bones lashed together with thin strips of sinew. Large casks of water line the walls, with enough room for only a few people to stand.

A dust-covered elven man says to you, in sirihish:
  "Would you care to buy some quality desert weapons? Only the best for you today, here in the city."

DEMO PROMPT: You can look at your own inventory by typing "i" for "inventory."
>i

You are carrying:
an unlit bone torch

DEMO PROMPT: You can emote by using "emote" or the shortcut ":" Your prompts will be filled in.
> :with a sorrowful expression, @ shakes his head.

With a sorrowful expression, the thin, wiry man shakes his head.

DEMO PROMPT: You can say things by using "say" or the shortcut '.  You can also emote while saying.  Your prompts will be filled in.
> ' (looking down at a meager pile of coins) I haven't got enough money to pay you.

Looking down at a meager pile of coins, the thin, wiry man says, in sirihish:
  "I haven't got enough money to pay you."

A dust-covered elven man says to you, in sirihish:
   "These are the best deals in the whole city! I will give them to you for special price."

<demo fill-in>
>'(shaking his head firmly) I don't trade with long-necks. Got it?

You are hungry.

DEMO PROMPT: You must buy food and water. Type "enter stand" to go into the jerky merchant's stand.
> enter stand

A Jerky Merchant's Stand
Smoky from curing fires burning nearby, this stall is one of the busiest in the market. Hanging from long bits of sinew tied to the bone framework of this stand, are various types of flesh, even whole animals that have been gutted, flattened, and smoked, but are still identifiable by their various parts.
A dirty man with only half his teeth is here, busily handling orders.

DEMO PROMPT: You can interact with "virtual NPCS" as well as regular NPCs.  Here's an example:
>:elbows a large woman out of the way and hurries to the front of the stand with the vendor.

the thin, wiry man elbows a large woman out of the way and hurries to the front of the stand with the vendor.

>:The large woman frowns darkly at @, but lets him pass.

The large woman frowns darkly at the thin, wiry man, but lets him pass.

DEMO PROMPT: You can see what a merchant has for sale by typing "list"
> list

A dirty man with only half his teeth has the following goods to trade:
01) a handful of thin jerky strips for 10 obsidian coins.
02) a hunk of smoked meat for 12 obsidian coins.
03) a whole, preserved lizard for 25 coins.

DEMO PROMPT: You can examine an item that is for sale by using the "view" command. Try "view smoked"
> view smoked

A large chunk of reddish-brown meat has been carved out of some animal and smoked until it is crackly on the outside. The chunk itself is about the size of a human fist.

Type "open sack" to open your sack.
> open sack

DEMO PROMPT: Look in your sack. "look in sack"
> l in sack

In a ragged sack (used) :
some obsidian coins
a tattered waterskin

DEMO PROMPT: Type "get coins sack"
> get coins sack

You get a handful of coins from a ragged sack.
There were 20 coins.

DEMO PROMPT: You can buy items by typing "buy <item>" Try "buy #1" or "buy handful"
> buy smoked

You purchase a hunk of smoked meat for 12 obsidian coins.

DEMO PROMPT: To find out what exits are in a room, you can type "ex" or "exits".  Type "ex"
> ex

Visible Exits:
None.

DEMO PROMPT: Some rooms are "enterable" and must be left with "leave". Type "leave"
> leave

The Bazaar [SW]
It is warmer here due to the press of bodies wandering through the many stalls and stands arranged here. There is almost no spare space to navigate, as every empty foot has been used to maximum efficiency. Here and there, smoke from vendor-maintained fires wafts through the air, lending the addition of the smells of savory meats and fruits to the pungent smell of hundreds of desert people voraciously bartering for goods.
A ramshackle stand hung with jerky is here.
An open-faced tent baring barrels of water is here.
Sitting on a rug, a dust-covered elven man is here, displaying his wares.

You catch a dust-covered elven man with his hand in your pockets!
a dust-covered elven man stands up.
a dust-covered elven man runs west, disappearing into the crowds.

<demo fill-in>
>i

You are carrying:
2 obsidian coins
a hunk of smoked meat
an unlit bone torch

<demo fill-in>
>'that sand-stilted, slant-eyed, sticky-fingered son of a kank!

the thin, wiry man says, in sirihish:
  "That sand-stilted, slant-eyed, sticky-fingered son of a kank!

DEMO PROMPT: Armageddon allows you to use "think" and "feel" to express your character more accurately. These may also be used in game by staff members to better interact with your character.

<demo fill-in>
>think if only I had a weapon, I'd go after him.  But elves are so fast, and I haven't eaten for days.

You think:
  "If only I had a weapon, I'd go after him.  But elves are so fast, and I haven't eaten for days."

You are thirsty.
DEMO PROMPT: Type "enter tent" to enter the waterseller's tent
> enter tent

The Waterseller's Tent
Stifling, in spite of the available shade, this tent is crowded with casks, barrels, and small pots filled with water. The  flap of the tent may be opened or closed to let in more breeze, but it is conservatively placed, presumably to discourage thieves. In the middle of the room is a chair filled with cushions, and a rug.
A fat man is sitting here in a wide, cushioned chair.
A dour-looking mercenary stands guard near the door.

DEMO PROMPT: Watersellers work differently than other merchants, since all they sell is water. You must have a waterskin and enough coins to fill the skin in your hands.

<demo fill-in>
> get waterskin sack
You get a tattered waterskin from a ragged sack.

***DEMO PROMPT: Now, with money and a waterskin in your sack, type "fill waterskin"

A fat man looks at you, his expression sad.

A fat man says to you, in sirihish:
   "I am sorry, but you haven't got enough coins to pay for water. But you look so thirsty and down on your luck. I am sure you are a smart and talented man."

DEMO PROMPT: You can talk directly to another NPC or PC by using "tell <message>" the same emote syntax applies. Please note "tell"  is visible to anyone in the room.  Use "whisper" if you need to say something to someone that others should not automatically overhear.
> tell fat (sighing) I don't know what I am going to do.

Sighing, you say to a fat man, in sirihish:
   "I don't know what I am going to do."

"Well, if you are willing to work for your water, we have several casks that need to be moved. We will water you while you work, and if you can move them for us, it will be considered fair trade. What do you say?"

<demo fill-in>
>:nods, his expression hopeful.
the thin, wiry man nods, his expression hopeful.

"Very well, follow my man here, and he will lead you to the wagon."

DEMO PROMPT: You can "follow" another character. Follow mercenary
> follow mercenary

DEMO PROMPT: If you are following someone, sometimes it is a good idea to use "brief" mode so that you don't get overwhelmed. use "brief" to toggle brief mode.
You have been forced to turn brief mode on.

You follow a dour-looking mercenary and leave an open-faced tent.

The Bazaar [SW]

You follow a dour-looking mercenary and go west

The Bazaar [NESW]

A Long Road [EW]

A Long Road [NEW]

A dour-looking mercenary gets a key from a leather bandolier.
A dour-looking mercenary unlocks the gate.
A dour-looking mercenary opens the gate.
You follow a dour-looking mercenary and go north.

A Wide, Dusty Courtyard [NESW]

You follow a dour-looking mercenary and go east.

A Wagonyard [W]
A large pile of barrels is stacked here.
A large wagon is here, hitched to a pair of inix.

A dour-looking mercenary says to you, in sirihish:
  "Get the barrel, put it in the wagon.  When you're done, you'll have a drink and a waterskin full you can take with you."

<demo fill-in>
> follow self
You stop following A dour-looking mercenary.

<demo fill-in>
>:nods, and walks over to the pile of barrels with determination.
The thin, wiry man walks over to the pile of barrels with determination.

<demo fill-in>
>get barrel
You pick up a barrel.
It is extremely heavy.

<demo fill-in>
>enter wagon

A Wagon Entry [W]
Someone hits you very hard on the head.
Everything goes black.

DEMO PROMPT: Being unconscious is pretty boring.  You can move around in your sleep, you can generally sense things that are moving.  You can dream, but not much else.  So, we're going to skip forward in time until you regain consciousness.

You wake and sit up.

<demo fill-in>
>look room

A Narrow, Windowless Room [E]
This small room is very thin, a row of hide ropes lining a long beam on either wall. The room is made almost entirely of bone and hides. The floor is made of wooden beams, but the hide walls are stretched taught and immobile. The smell of sweat lies thick in this room, and the atmosphere is stifling.
the white-haired man is tied to the wall here by his wrists.
the square-jawed woman is tied to the wall here by her wrists.

DEMO PROMPT: Regular movement is normally to type n, e, w, s, u, or d for north, east, west, south, up, or down movement. Try to go east by typing "e"
> e

You can't move. You have been shackled.

Hearing your movement, the white-haired man looks up from his spot on the wall.

the white-haired man says to you, in sirihish:
  "It's no use. We're held tight. Unless you've got something that can cut this leather and break a lock, we can't do anything but wait until we get to the slaver's block."

<demo fill-in>
> i

You are carrying:
Nothing

<demo fill-in>
> exa me

This man's physique is the obvious product of a hardscrabble life.  His stature and posture is markedly affected by malnutrition. His bird-thin chest and stick-like arms rely on a wiry, rope-like musculature whose size very likely belies his strength. Sunken cheeks and hollow green eyes are the most prominent parts of his face, a mop of dusty-colored hair atop his head.
A slave brand bearing the mark of a black Wyvern has been branded on his shoulder.
The thin, wiry man is in excellent condition.

<worn about body> a rough slave's tunic
<worn on neck> a bone slave's collar

Noticing your look at your shoulder, the white-haired man says to you, in sirihish:
  "They branded you while you were out. I think they've got a magicker who keeps you under while they hit you with the poker."

the square-jawed woman grunts and says, in sirihish:
  "I know they have a magicker. I just heard the finger-waver mumbling and before I could turn around, I was out. They got me on the road coming out of the outpost."

the white-haired man says, in sirihish:
  "They got me from the debtor's block. I got marked, and no one will buy my pottery any more. I borrowed money from Nenyuk to pay last month's rent, and they called it in."

Someone opens the door from the east.
A red hooded, kank-veiled figure enters the room.
A brown hooded, inix-veiled figure enters the room.
A green hooded, mantis-veiled figure enters the room.
A black hooded, wyvern-veiled figure enters the room.

<demo fill-in>
> l Wyvern
This figure is wearing a long, black hooded robe that conceals its physical features. This figure is wearing a Wyvern-stitched veil that conceals its face.

<worn about body> a black, hooded robe
<worn on face> a wyvern-stitched full-face veil

A black hooded, wyvern-veiled figure says, in sirihish:
   "Alright, slaves. We're going to take you down to the market now. If you cooperate, you'll be sold to good masters who will take good care of you."

A black hooded, wyvern-veiled figure says, in sirihish:
   "If you don't cooperate, we'll have our mage knock you senseless, and you'll wake up in the arena or the 'sid mines. Either way, I'm told it's a slow and painful death."

the white-haired man says, in sirihish:
   "Krath-damn... Allanak."

the square-jawed woman smiles, her brow darkening.

A brown hooded, inix-veiled figure subdues the white-haired man, in spite of his attempts to struggle away.

A brown hooded, inix-veiled figure unhooks the white-haired man's bindings from the wall and drags him out of the room, still bound.

A brown hooded, inix-veiled figure walks east, dragging the white-haired man.

A red hooded, kank-veiled figure subdues you, in spite of your attempts to struggle away.

A red hooded, kank-veiled figure unhooks your bindings from the wall and drags you out of the room, still bound.

A red hooded, kank-veiled figure drags you east.

A Wagon Entry [W]

A red hooded, kank-veiled figure leaves the wagon, dragging you behind it.

A Cobbled Courtyard [E]
A brown hooded, inix-veiled figure is here, holding the white-haired man.
A red hooded, kank-veiled figure is standing here, holding the thin, wiry man.
A veiled and hooded figure is here, guarding the eastern exit.
The fat, beady-eyed templar is standing here.

A green hooded, mantis-veiled figure exits the wagon, dragging the square-jawed woman behind it.

A black hooded, wyvern-veiled figure exits the wagon.

the fat, beady-eyed templar says, to a black hooded, wyvern-veiled figure, in sirihish:
   "Well done indeed, Master Black Wyvern. You have done well."

Bowing its head reverently, the black hooded, wyvern-veiled figure says, in sirihish:
  "May they please you, Lord Templar Borsail."

DEMO PORMPT: Templars are the military rulers inside a citystate. Nobles exist, too. You can tell a templar by his robes, and a noble by his rings. try "look templar's robe"
> l templar's robe

The fat, beady-eyed templar's robe:
A deep crimson robe of billowy fabric covers the wearer from the bottom of his jaw to the tips of his toes. The shoulders are wide to give the viewer an impression of size.

the fat, beady-eyed templar returns his attention to you.

the fat, beady-eyed templar says, to the white-haired man in sirihish:
   "Speak, then, slave.  Have you any affiliations or skills that will best help us place you, and will you be a cooperative slave?"

the white-haired man glares defiantly at the fat, beady-eyed templar.

the white-haired man says, to the fat, beady-eyed templar, in sirihish:
  "I am a potter, and I am no man's slave."

Frowning, the fat, beady-eyed templar says, in sirihish:
   "Pity. See if you can break him. If not, send him to the obsidian mines."

As the fat, beady-eyed templar issues a dismissive wave, A brown hooded, inix-veiled figure walks east dragging the white-haired man.

the fat, beady-eyed templar says, to the square jawed woman, in sirihish:
   "And you?"

the square jawed woman says, to the fat, beady-eyed templar, in sirihish:
  "I am a humble servant to the Highlord, Lord Templar Borsail. I am positive that the members of my house will tithe double to the templarate this month should you see fit to free me."

Looking interested, the fat, beady-eyed templar says, to the square-jawed woman, in sirihish:
  "Do tell.  Who is your house, then, and what is your rank?"

the square jawed woman says, to the fat, beady-eyed templar, in sirihish:
  "My Lord Templar Borsail, I am the complementary third sargeant in House Kadius's fifth guard unit. I was conducting a merchant to his destination when I was beset upon by a magicker."

Pensively, the fat, beady-eyed templar says, to the black robed, wyvern-veiled figure, in sirihish:
  "Get this one's name and confirm the story. Until then, she is to be held separate from the other slaves."

As the black hooded, wyvern-veiled man nodes, a green hooded, mantis-veiled figure walks east, dragging the square-jawed woman behind it.

The fat, beady-eyed templar watches the square jawed woman leave.

The fat, beady-eyed templar says, to the black hooded, wyvern-veiled figure in sirihish:
  "If her story is confirmed, she is to be killed.  She knows too much.  Do not toy with her or send her to the arena or to the obsidian mines. Kadius cannot be allowed to know that we traffic in magickers, or they will not trade here."
A gray hooded, kank-veiled figure has entered from the east.
A white hooded, tembo-veiled figure has entered from the east.
An orange hooded, gwoshi-veiled figure has entered from the east.
A black hooded, goudra-veiled figure has entered from the east.

Magickal currents swirl around an orange hooded, gwoshi-veiled figure.
An orange hooded, gwoshi-veiled figure mutters an incantation:
    " dgk gkjsdg sgdsg sdgdsg sgdg"

DEMO PROMPT: Combat could go on for a long time, we will skip time for a bit here.

A Cobbled Courtyard [E]
several corpses are lying here
A gray hooded, kank-veiled figure removes his veil.
the braided, dark-eyed man lowers the hood of a gray hooded robe.
the braided, dark-eyed man unties your bonds.

the braided, dark-eyed man says to you, in northern-accented sirihish:
  "You don't have to join us. But, if you do, you'll have food and water, and you'll get to kill as many of these Allanaki kank-pokers as you want."

the braided, dark-eyed man helps you to your feet.

the braided, dark-eyed man says to you in northern-accented sirihish:
  "I am third corporal Kelv Thon of Tuluk. If you come with me, I will get you out of here safely, and after that you can decide."

.....end

One of the main problems you'll have with creating a tutorial is the fact that people learn in different ways.

You normally have (2) types of people:

:arrow: People who learn by understanding concepts.
:arrow: People who learn by application.

Concepts

People who understand concepts will often prefer reading the manual to playing the game.  They are able to search, identify and assimilate information in a way that allows them to achieve a level of understanding necessary to function.  These are the people that would read through the documentation, making mental notes on important points which they can later recall while actively playing the game.  They have the capacity to glean understanding quickly and efficiently from written documentation because they can move at their own pace and build on their understanding of a concept.

Application

People who learn by application are better at following an example.  They want to be shown how something works, and then often retain the knowledge without having to be shown again.  Blocks of text and descriptions will often discourage them from participating after staring at the screen for a few moments because their brain doesn't function as well for that task.  They learn much faster by someone demonstrating how to do something, then replicating the action and modifying it to fit their own style and needs.  They learn through repetition and adaptation.

And so you have a problem.  The conceptual people want information, lists, and documentation.  The application people want walkthroughs, examples and interactive tutorials.   The conceptual crowd feels that the other people are just being lazy when it's really not their fault, they just don't operate that way.

Whatever system is dicussed should have the capacity to meet both of these people's needs for learning.  Their should be an option to learn by reading as well as a way to learn by experiencing/showing.

-LoD

Make the tutorial interactive, and 'Application' based.

'Conceptual' people can/should read the docs.  Thus, everyone is happy.

my walkthrough is built for conceptual people, as I am one. I read read read, and then DO to glaze the knowledge in my mind.

But, I'm trying very hard to make it accessible for application based people. Fortunately, my girlfriend is very application based, so I just have her look it over and see if it's sensible or bores her to tears.

That said, we do need something heavily weighted for the application people, as the conceptual people will have both the docs and my walkthrough, which will suit conceptuals with short attention spans and conceptuals who like to read just for shits and giggles (that's me.)

btw, don't except many ideas on the application suited thing from me, or from this whole community, by having only docs this community has sort of filtered itself into conceptual people, though there are those among us who learned by doing (and went through dozens of chars in the process.)

From a newbie's perspective:

It was quite a shock to be dumped into the game so suddenly. But now that I think of it.... I rather not go through a lengthy tutorial that lasts more than 10 minutes. Been there. Logged out of the mud as soon as the tutorial ends. (sometimes I don't even bother for it to end first) They usually tell me useless commands I already know, run at a pace that makes me grit my teeth, and more often than not, teach absolutely nothing new.

The website is more than good enough for me. I read up the basics, keep the page open and search for specific terms as I encounter them in the game along the way. Sometimes, if I couldn't find something, a quick ooc and players are usually nice enough to point it out the correct helpfile to me.

However good the tutorial you devise, one size simply can't fit all. I've found that those tutorials are usually written in a way that includes what veterans think newbies should know, not really what we desperately want to know - which is, where to start? (In Armageddon's case, I'd say just stay in a place with pcs and emote by yourself for a little while, don't need an entire tutorial to teach that ^_^ )

Nothing will ever prepare someone for the reality of the game. Simply be lenient and patient with us the first few times we make mistakes, it's really appreciated. If you don't snap and growl at us, you'll find newbies are more inclined to stay and learn.
Don't piss me off. I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.

I just recently started on ARM and I absolutely think there should be more automated help for newbies. Make it optional, sure; possibly give each account a "one-time use" of the tutorial or noob zone or whatever. But there really needs to be something more than just the help files and website to get newbies going.

For example, I read through a lot of the documentation, and I became concerned that my character would need to get water, because it's very clear that dehydration could kill my character. Alright, great...um...how the heck do I do that? It took quite a bit of trial and error and figuring out for me to get that I needed to go buy a waterskin, find the temple, oh and then I had no clue what command to use to get the water...

And that's just ONE simple thing in the game: getting water. Hey, I still don't even know where to buy flour for travel cakes. (Note: no need to tell or point me, since my character joined a clan and gets plenty of free food now.)

There are other simple things that newbies could be taught that would, I think, really help out. For example, how to put your money in your backpack. How to close your backpack. How to find a bank and put your money in it. These are such simple, basic things and it's fairly crazy not to have them.

From a roleplay perspective, I feel like the fact that my new character did not have any way of knowing these things really hurt. I started my character in this city where she's supposed to have lived all her life...and she doesn't know where the bank is? She doesn't know where to get WATER? She doesn't even know that her backpack is hanging open? Newbies are immediately forced into a position of either roleplaying that their character is an idiot...or figuring out these things on their own.

And yes, I know about the helpers, but not everyone feels comfortable contacting these nice folks out of the blue and asking for help. Some of us are introverts, or don't feel like appearing to be total idiots, or don't use instant messaging programs or feel comfortable giving out our email addresses. (I myself fit all of those characteristics.) The helper program is, I'm sure, absolutely wonderful for those who choose to use it. But that doesn't mean it's the solution for everyone.

I would even suggest that new accounts start with a couple of extra things in their inventory. For example, a vessel of some kind for water. Possibly some equipment related to their guild--obviously not anything worth much, but something at least to get them started in the "play" part of things, which most newbies will be interested in trying out.

I haven't read through all of what's in this thread as far as newbie-helping mechanics go, but my opinion can really be summed up as MORE HELP = BETTER and SELF-STARTING = BETTER. Give newbies choices as to whether to rely on a live human being or a coded system, give them information, walk them through and hold their hand if they want it, let them run free if they want it.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Yeah, I don't know anyone who arms. I saw an ad for arm on a different, non-MUD roleplay site, a forum RP, and that's where I found it. I had no tutorial helping me and I like to think I've done fine. The one person I tries to recruit doesn't play, so I'd say that people who find it on their own might be more likely to stay, because it's definitely something they're interested in and not just some random new thing a friend told them to try.
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.

I like of what I've read on this thread.  This is my first MUD and I remember when walking North was a problem.  "Walk North" "Go North" "Go North Room"  "Enter North Room" "Go North, Dammit!" "Face North and put one foot in front of the other and continue in this fashion until you're in the next room" "Dammit! Dammit! Dammit!" etc.  

Anyways, I like a lot of what was in this post.  My idea of a newbie tutorial looks like this:

The guy who asks you to point to the map (I think he's an Old Man) asks if you would like some training? :Type 'yes' or 'no' then enter:

You can train from now until Judgment Day and it doesn't affect your skills one little bit.

The Old Man tells you to walk North.  :type 'north' or 'n' then enter:

The Old Man says, "You should take that backpack" :type 'get backpack' then enter.

The Old Man says, "You should put it on."  :type 'wear backpack' then enter.

The Old Man says, "You should open it."  :type 'open backpack' or 'op pack' then enter.

The Old Man says, "You should get that half sword."  :type 'get halfsword pack' then enter.

The Old Man says, "You should hold that half sword in your primary hand."  :type 'equip primary halfsword' or 'ep halfsword':

The Old Man says, "You are of the assassin guild.  Stab that templar in the back."  :type backstab templar:

After a brutal asskicking of the newbie The Old Man says, "Outside of these halls death is permanent.  Try fighting something easier...."

The Old Man goes through the basics (look, ass -v, etc.) then the skills list for the Newbie's guild, then the skills list for the newbie's sub-guild.

Since so many of you seem keen on little representations of the major cities, perhaps each skill-session could take place in a different location.  Learn walk in a Tuluk setting with a little note about what the city is all about.  Kick in Luir's telling the newbie what Luir's is all about.  Craft in Allanak.  Backstab in Red Storm. etc. etc.  

This kind of thing would have helped me.  I knew people in RL who helped me quite a bit, and I've heard good things about the helpers, but it is REALLY HARD to get started here.  I stuck around, did a lot of swearing, and I don't think I'll stop playing anytime soon.

-Natron
Man, if you're just a ninja so long as nobody launches a hacky-sack into your junk at 200-mph, then you, sir, are no ninja.

My take is over here. Though someone is saying a new player tutorial was decided against?
Amor Fati

The staff has said before that they weren't going to implement a 'noobie tutorial zone' sort of thing for Armageddon.  They may have changed their minds, but that I can not say.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.