Gone? An annoyance or security measure?

Started by Morgenes, May 12, 2006, 10:47:56 PM

I'm reposting X-D's post here (since it very nearly...ok, well didn't...) derail the thread it was originally posted in.

Quote from: "X-D"
Also, slight derail here, but I did not feel like starting a thread.

Morg, Love your work.

Insanely despise, hate, loath the change to gone.

No, really, Now if I go gone I have to minimize the window and lock the computer. And I hate doing that even more, because if I answer the door or something, I like to be able to run in and glance at the screen.

But no, now I can't do that because I own a cat and often could have small children in the house, either of which are capable of hitting the enter key but are very unlikly to type gone and toggle it off.

No, really, I hate it now, won't be using it any more. Might as well just wish up AFK or change my ldesc to afk...BAH.

Drooling over junk giving a diff message though.

Now, for my answer to this...

I for one was always annoyed when I came back and responded to something in scroll back, only to get that annoying message 'But, you are gone...'.  Of course I was gone, but I'm back now darn it, just accept my command.  So that's why I did it.

I honestly had never thought about children or cats typing would cause an issue, but I can see the point.  Couldn't you minimize the window, or open up a text pad in a back window and switch to it when you're gone?

Anyone have any other ingenious solutions?  A switch to gone that allows it to work like before?  Another command 'gonelock' or something?  Or is this something you guys think you can manage to work around?
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I was sad when you changed Gone.

I thought it was excellent before.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I like the change.

If something happens, you can react quicker, instead of getting caught up on the 'gone'.

What about if it is an unknown command, then it wont take off gone?

So if my cat pushes zxrgtfppppppppppppppppppp'''''''''''''''''''''' (enter)

Instead of the game telling you
"You are no longer gone."
"What?"

It will say
"What?"
"You are still gone."
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I really like the change to gone, I was -always- annoyed when I would get that 'but you are gone" message. It would make me angry. I really like the idea of having gone come off only when there is a recognized command in the game. That way, if a kid or something accidentally hit a key, you would still be gone.

But yah, I really like the change, Morgenes, thanks!!

-Irulan
Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."
---
Inara: "Thank you for the wine. It's very... fresh."

Mal: "To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system."

Actually, the suggestion that it would only remove your gone status if it was an actual command entered would be good I think.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "Morgenes"

Anyone have any other ingenious solutions?  A switch to gone that allows it to work like before?  Another command 'gonelock' or something?  Or is this something you guys think you can manage to work around?

My cat hardly ever types anything while gone, so I prefer the new way.  I like the gonelock idea, that lets people people decide if they want old school Gone or new and improved Gone.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I like the 'gonelock' idea as well...then again, I have a cat that likes to type.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

There are many commands that take only a single letter then hitting enter.

I do like the gonelock idea.

Don't get me wrong folks, if it was not for the cat and my grand niece, I would be all shouting praise abou the change.

But when I have to go gone it normaly has to be fast and if I minimize I can't peek over and see whats going on.

Oh, BTW, the new mount changes simply rule...RULE.

Um, thats all for now, I'm in a pretty good mood, been working on memorizing all this new stuff.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I have two cats. At one point I thought they simply love to see my character speedwalking through the whole city just because they stepped at keyboard - and that was in times I was actually sitting before monitor, just not paying attention to them (their best trick is to run over the room and jump from monitor right on the keyboard). I would like "gone" working as before or I would like to see "gonelock" command.

Pretty please.

Every cat I have ever had will step on any keyboard (or chess board, remote control, dance dance revolution) they can get their paws on, and I really think they know what they're doing.

'Gonelock' sounds like a feasible solution.

I really, really liked the gone command change, Morg.  No other annoyance compares with losing a character because you are trying to type flee in a panic and by the time you spell it right you don't even notice that it's telling yout hat you are gone and you've typed flee 5 times now before you realize it.

Personally I don't think it's the game's responsibility to deal with ooc things like children or friends screwing with your computer.  

I learned this lesson the hard way.  Lock your workstation if you have people around you can't trust with your work.  Whenever you leave it.  Locking is really fast and easy, unlocking can be easy too.  windows+l locked.  

why do I lock mine?  Lots of friends in my college classes would do things to computers they could screw with.  

I tihnk the gone change is fine, but if morg wants to add a lockable gone.  More power to him

I like the gone change.  Gonelock could be an interesting new addition for those people
who need it, but I'm not one of those people.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

I love the gone change. I hated how it was before.

And while it isn't the mud's responsibility to keep your character safe from people or pets, without looking at the mud's code, I'd say it'd be very rudimentary to create a "gonelock" command. It should be a simple case of copying the old code (of which there should be a backup ;)) and having the old function trigger on "gonelock." Although having said that, I've never coded on Arm or any mud. But what I do know about coding does say it really should be that simple ;) (the only possible problem would be unexpected and completely impossible to predict bugs that would occur as a result).

So yeah, in favour of gonelock. But dear god please don't change normal gone back.

I don't like the change.   I used gone as a security measure because I have a toddler in the house.  My marathon days of dim room, cigarettes, old pizza, and Armageddon all-nighters are gone.  I mud when my kid lets me.  Most times I can log on, get some face-time and Way-time while he's playing with his blocks or sitting by me reading.  As anyone with little guys knows, you're up and down with them constantly and 2 yr olds don't understand the whole, "wait until I find a quit-room" staller.   Gone has saved my butt several times when I was refilling a milk cup or wiping semi-masticated fruit chews off of the dog and my boy decides to smash keys on the keyboard.

I forgot to turn gone on once, he managed to hit every one of the alias-set walking command keys on my numeric keypad, including one that the mud client I use defaulted to shouting, "XXXCLIENT ROXORS!!!!!! WWW.OURWEBSITE.COM!!!" and a couple that I had for repetitive commands (scan, hunt, scavenge).  It was like my merchant character was suddenly possessed by Ranger Tourettes Syndrome.

It would all be fixed with an option toggle. Do you want gonelock? Y/N

Problem gone. Ahaha.
b]YB <3[/b]

Gonelock sounds dorky though. Like a term some dork that even regular dorks think is a dork would come up with.

I would much prefer if the command was oldschoolgone or Change gone old school / Change gone new and improved

8)
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

My problem is a parrakeet.. After being tamed perfectly for speech, they try anything a human tries. In more than one instance it typed a few things on my notebook when I was gone. (Of course it's more disturbing when it manages to unplug something from my notebook but it's out of topic)

I would love to have a way to lock my MUD screen, but I usually type "Windows+M" before leaving, so it's not that necessary.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

May I also suggest that the echo be changed to:

The hulking man's player is gone for a peepee.

Personally, I don't use the gone command simply because it says that the PC is gone. The PC is not gone. The player is.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

If you use zmud you can make an alias for gone that automatically pulls up the zmud editor. You can also configure the zmud editor to automatically open up very, very small. So that way the editor is up, on top of your game window, but small enough you can still see the text scroll up the screen from the game.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

gonelock would rock

gone and softgone would be another option... you can pick if you want the old gone code or the new snappy supersexy automagickal release gone code.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

As someone who nearly lost a character due to typing gone afk, getting subdued, and being unable to type 'flee' because I was stuck gone, and not being able to type 'gone' because i was subdued...I like the change.

Though I see nothing wrong with there being a separate 'gonelock' command for those who need it.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "Armaddict"As someone who nearly lost a character due to typing gone afk, getting subdued, and being unable to type 'flee' because I was stuck gone, and not being able to type 'gone' because i was subdued...I like the change.

Though I see nothing wrong with there being a separate 'gonelock' command for those who need it.

They updated it so you can type 'gone' at any moment to remove your gone status, even if subdued, or at critical health.

I think that there doesn't need to be another command.  Everything is fine.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one