Dehydration

Started by jhunter, March 13, 2006, 04:44:53 PM

Anyone else having issues with dehydration since the change was made to it?

It's happened to me more than once now, but I've left the city after drinking my fill of water.

Two times now I've gotten one "You are getting thirsty." message and then was suddenly suffering from dehydration afterward.

It's really ridiculous now IMO. Should should at least get a couple warning messages about thirst and then one or two telling you that you are thirsty before you suddenly begin suffering from dehydration.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Changes, when?  Changes since the last two days?

I do agree that there should be more notice when you start to dehydrate.  But I'd like to help pinpoint which change you're talking about.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Nothing has changed about the rate at which you dehydrate.  There are many factors that determine how quickly and by how much your thirst levels increase.  I've been watching players that are wandering out in the wastes, and they seem to be doing just fine.  I'm not seeing quick dehydration in any of them.

Please send me a log (with timestamps if at all possible) showing me what you are seeing to morgenes@ginka.armageddon.org, and of course, copy mud@ginka.armageddon.org.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Dammit, I didn't log them, but basically this is what's happening that never happened to me before.

You are getting thirsty.

(No other messages inbetween)

You are dehydrated!
You suffer from dehydration!

There's no build up or warning to it now.

You go straight from "getting thirsty" to "suffering from dehydration".

I think certain areas can cause bigger 'jumps' in thirst...but I'm not sure if this is the problem.  Nor if the above statement is even correct.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I had a problem once where eating a piece of spicy food took me from "you are a little thirsty" to "you suffer from dehydration".
b]YB <3[/b]

It happened to me three times in the last two days.
Once yesterday and twice today.
Each time was in a completely different area.

It sounds to me like it's not the dehydration rate that is the problem but the lack of messages.  Remember how Morgenes tweaked those just a short time ago after Hymwen complained about dropping into dehydration with no warning?

I remember a few months ago while playing a city bound character, I went to do the strenuous, dehydrating task of serving at a party. I got a "you are thirsty" message once.  Because it was an unfamiliar estate and I did not know where the water was, I had to ignore it.  Now this was a long party, but not THAT long and by the time I got back to my home base I was practically dying. I had suffered extreme damage to hp and stamina, and in fact was down to about 30 stamina which weren't regenning.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

There needs to be more warning messages that you are getting thirsty, are thirsty, getting dehydrated...something.
I've rarely in all the time I've played here and played outdoor pcs gotten to the point of dehydration and suddenly in the last two days it happened three times with little to no warning. Something definitely isn't right.

The problem is, in extreme cases you can end up loosing a lot of water at once, which is why you're seeing what you're seeing.   Not to say these are actual numbers, but say we triggered a thirst message when you got below 10 thirst points.  Say you ended up at 11 thirst.  Next time your thirst is updated, thirst could drop up to 6 points, leaving you at '5'.  You get a 'You are thirsty' message.  Next time your thirst is updated, you drop another 6 points, bringing you to below 0, suddenly your suffering from thirst.

I'll look at expanding the range, making you feel thirsty earlier.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Does this explain why I'd sometimes go from noth thirsty, to very thirsty all of a sudden?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "Tamarin"Does this explain why I'd sometimes go from noth thirsty, to very thirsty all of a sudden?

Yes

I've added a new message you can get 'You are starting to get thirsty.'  I've also slightly tweaked the other ranges so that you should now get plenty of warning when you are getting thirsty.  I've also adjusted it so that the proper message will show up in score.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Sweet. You rule Morg.

Thank you.  Again.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.