Why do female characters live so much longer than males?

Started by Hot_Dancer, February 25, 2006, 04:09:37 PM

I mean, the lack of competition is cool and all. I use to be happy when we got a female character in the tribe because I'd get to see someone running around in skimpy desert tribal wear.

Lately though, from watching the tribe through various incarnations: They just, live longer and provide a more consistant base for roleplay..and it's often with less developed skills.

Is that why Sanvean still pwns Armageddon, and Halaster's only alive because he can no longer die?

Hot_Dancer
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Women live longer then men, it's a statisical fact!    Seems like it translates into muds too.

Women may be less focused on combat as a whole, and/or less prone to taking dumb risks.

So in the end, some end up living longer and kicking more ass.

That would be my guess.

Are they? Mine tend to die more quickly than many male characters.  :oops:

Well, I'm male...but how can you explain that my female characters tend to live longer than my male characters?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Halaster can die.  Oh, yes.   Halaster can die.   :twisted:

Actually, I think that it is the crafter or merchant character that will often live longer.  It may be perception that many of these are female characters.  It also might be an interesting poll to see if female players enjoy those types of characters more then our male players do.
brainz: it's what's for dinner.

Part of it is probably because there are more male PCs than there are female PCs, and female PCs can in many cases offer sex for forgiveness while most male characters would run out of second chances.
Another part is that I think female characters get assaulted by twinks less often - at least in other multiplayer games, the twinkish player PKs the men and ineptly flirts with the women.

And many female characters, like stated above, are simply not as reckless as many male characters.  This is because most male characters are played by men and men are dumb.

I'm also under the impression that many female characters tend to go to non-combat roles (merchants, aides, crafters, prostitues, spies) than combat roles such as Militia, Byn, most Noble House guards and so on and so forth.  Non-combat characters, either male or female, always seem to live much longer than the combatants, to me.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Dumb are men!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

My male character happens to be my longest lived character ever.  Previously I have only played females.  So yeah, put that in your statistical pipe.  Smoke it.  Inhale.

(no, it means nothing)
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

My female PCs always run into male PCs who take an active interest in helping them survive. I think that this makes a substantial difference.

My male PCs interact with female PCs, but the females are generally less likely to extend themselves in any fashion to assist in their survival.  If my Joe can't take of himself, there are seven other dudes waiting for her attention who can.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: "Seeker"My female PCs always run into male PCs who take an active interest in helping them survive. I think that this makes a substantial difference.

My male PCs interact with female PCs, but the females are generally less likely to extend themselves in any fashion to assist in their survival.  If my Joe can't take of himself, there are seven other dudes waiting for her attention who can.

Seeker

I blame the male to female ratio for this. If you are a city elf or dwarf male and you see a female PC of the same race GRAB HER. It's the only one you'll see EVER.

Quoteyou see a female PC of the same race GRAB HER. It's the only one you'll see EVER.

I had an HG who had TWO females. He lived an insanely long time though.
Quote from: BhagharvaWhat you don't know can kill you. What you do know, can kill others.

To the north
[Near]
A lanky, brown-skinned gith is here, humping the rusty brown kank.
The rusty brown kank to the north bleats miserably.

For me, it is the whole mindset that a women brings to the table.

Women are thinking creatures, they think about what they are doing a lot more than my male pcs, who are very visually orientated, and skrew up more because they don't "think with their head" a lot of the time. My female Pcs usually get tricked easier, but live longer as they may not be the only one they are thinking about.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Anonymous"The only reason why females live longer than males is because they simply do not take dangerous roles like males do. They do not subject themselves to situations where they might be hurt.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(Edit, now that I'm not laughing so hard:  Dude, SO wrong.)

Ergh, ignoring the trolling responses:

I think it's a bad idea to apply stereotypes, even if they sometimes seem to fit pretty well.  There will always be the exception to the rule, but I have met more long-lived male characters than I have met long-lived female characters, though there has been a good number of both.  There was a good sampling of combat and noncombat roles in both genders, as well, and two long-lived female combat characters I know of were definitely played by women.

Saying that no long-lived female character has ever gotten there while kicking ass, taking frequent risks and surviving them is just dead, dead wrong.  I have seen examples in my tenure playing Armageddon of just that.

Quote from: "Anonymous"The only reason why females live longer than males is because they simply do not take dangerous roles like males do. They do not subject themselves to situations where they might be hurt.

I have only been playing for six months and I have seen many female pcs who were combat oriented and perfectly willing to put themselves in dangerous situations.

I have seen quite a few mudsexxing tavernsitting males, too.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

QuoteTo say that they're 'thinkers' while men are 'bruisers' is ludicrous. My experiences in life have led me to believe that they're all habitual creatures that have very small ranges of behavior that can easily be narrowed down into a specific pattern, resulting in their actions and thoughts being very obvious to those that are intelligent enough to distinguish what's what.

Are you saying you understand women? I call shenanegins!

QuoteNo, it isn't. Most of the females I've encountered in this game are mudsexxors that hang around in taverns.

I really don't think this generalization is fair. It might be true with your experiences, but I've met plenty of female characters that are as tough and gritty as any male characters I've found. There's some running around right now, in fact.. well.. maybe not -right- now, but once the MUD gets back up. I do wish -more- female characters were like this, but I don't have a problem with variety either.
I hope life isn't just one big joke, because I don't get it.  -- Jack Handy

Quote from: "Anonymous"
Quote from: "Delirium"Ergh, ignoring the trolling responses:

Obviously, if anyone disagrees with you, they must be vile trolls, eh? More brilliant logic, please.

Delirium was perhaps stating that the following comment was trolling:

QuoteNo, it isn't. Most of the females I've encountered in this game are mudsexxors that hang around in taverns.

And I'd have to agree with her.  I've met very few female PCs who seemed to be just in it for the sex.  The majority of them, I'd say, prefer a nice fade but to keep the implied feelings going (which I think is just fine).

Way to go Delirium.  You've got my vote.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Haha, way to stir the pot up, Anon.

I think we can all accept that the behavioural patterns of female characters and male characters do, broadly, differ, although of course there are exceptions. Otherwise, for example, the difference in life span wouldn't exist.

This is assuming that a difference in life-span actually exists, which I don't personally think it does.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "Tamarin"This is assuming that a difference in life-span actually exists, which I don't personally think it does.

Seconded
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

I'd like to point out that, of the Byn Lieutenants that I've had in the past five years, roughly half have been female PCs, played by females. The numbers of female Byn Sergeants is pretty high, as well, but the proportions are less severe, falling towards more male Sergeants as a general rule.
Tlaloc
Legend

Quote from: "Anonymous"

Obviously, if anyone disagrees with you, they must be vile trolls, eh? More brilliant logic, please.

Dude, you ARE trolling.

Get an account. Registering takes all of 30 seconds.

Let's not accuse female pcs of being mudsex freaks. Male PCs are the ones doing the soliciting at least 90% of the time.

And also... are you saying women are predictable? Have you ever been around us for very long? Women are the most crazy, erratic, unpredictable, illogical creatures known to man.

I wonder what the percentage really is though, if you break it down.

I mean, I see like 5 male chars for every female char, Now, if  there are 10 females and 50 males, exactly how many of the females out live how many of the males?

If 6 of the females live for say one RL year it will be more noticable then if 30 of the males do, but the percentage is the same on death.

Basicly, I don't see a majority of female chars living any substantial time longer then the males. But I think they are more noticable (in general) When they do simply because of the lower numbers.

Right now, Where my current char is I could name only 1 female PC (not noble, templar etc) That I know has been around for more then 8 months RL and I can name more then ten male PCs that have lived at least that long..probly more if I really put some thought into it.

But I've seen at Least 30 female PC's in that 8 months and probly only twice as many males...maybe 60 or so.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

QuoteI had an HG who had TWO females. He lived an insanely long time though.

Big whoop, dude, I had a HG who had women in every town, and two that travelled with him anywhere anyway... HGs are cute, awesome, and easily gullible, any PC worth thier salt would see such a tool and utilize it.  Honestly, it seemed that only the women PCs were willing to be that resourceful, as all of the male PCs seemed just overly concerned with proving they were better than the HG.

As for all the Anonymous Kankshit that has been sprayed all over this thread... uhhh, dude, you're blind.  I only hope that someday a few women PCs take it into their heads to cut some sense through your eyelids, and that they take a good couple hours emoting it out.

I've been around Arm for a decent amount of time, and I've seen a lot of very, very tough PCs.  I only think of one male PC as truly almost unstoppable... Yes, you, Mr. Scorpion Ink.

But I can think of at least 3 female PCs who I'd lay money on against him.  One of them is still alive, and I hope remains so for many, many a year.

Women players on Arm, I believe, have a much larger tendency to err on the side of caution.  This helps keep them alive.  Women PCs on arm are much, much more likely to get a helping hand in a time of need, simply because of the fact that many male PCs and Players both have an ingrained 'guardian' facet.  If they don't have that particular interest in mind, they may try to keep the female PC alive if only because of the belief that the female may be easily controlled out of a feeling of debt.

Which is unfortunate, because in almost every instance, that female PC is alive after the male has fallen... sometimes standing victorious over a smoking/bleeding/suffocated/broken.into.a.thousand.pieces corpse.

Men R Dumb.

Edited to add: a simple typo correction, and I offer no apology for typo'ing 'thier' or any permutation thereof.  I am Man.  See previous wisdom.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.