Women on Zalanthas

Started by bardess, January 04, 2006, 03:59:40 PM

I have a bit of a random question.

I was letting my mind wander today and wondered.  Zalanthas doesn't follow the month system as we know it.  So when do women get their period?

It's probably something I'd never roleplay (I get enough of that in real life) but it does make me curious.

You know.. I pondered this same thing the other day, though it's probably more detail than anyone would typically care to get into.  Women get their period every 28 days or so, so that's...every 672 hours.   Zalanthan days are 9 hours.  Assuming that a Zalanthan hour is -roughly- the same amount of time as we experience in the real world, that means Zalanthan women would get their period every 74 or 75 days... or every 6.6 weeks.  If a period lasts about five days in the real world, that ends up being 13 days in game, roughly.

So wrap your head around those numbers and see what you think. :)
es, Narnia, the film that teaches kids that Jesus is a lion that kills people by biting them in the face...

Another way of looking at it is by dividing into the year.  Zalanthans age at about the same rate as Terrans (the humans do, anyway) so we can assume the years are equivalent.

A Terran female menstruates about 13 times a year.  13 times a Zalanthan year would be about every 53 days, or 5 weeks, and a 5-day Terran period would last about 2 Zalanthan days.

But I'm sure if Angela Christine was around, she could give a more definitive answer.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Quote from: "bardess"I have a bit of a random question.

I was letting my mind wander today and wondered.  Zalanthas doesn't follow the month system as we know it.  So when do women get their period?

It's probably something I'd never roleplay (I get enough of that in real life) but it does make me curious.

okay, gross.

some things don't need to be realistic
:oops:

But you've gotta be a little curious.  There are other threads like Zalanthan piss, it was going to come up anyway.

Thanks, anyways.  Pretty interesting stuff.

Quote from: "Vanth"A Terran female menstruates about 13 times a year.

At first I thought that said 'masturbates' and I was like "only 13"?

wow you guys have to much time to think about this stuff

GET GIRL FRIENDS OR BOY FRIENDS!!!!
dd my msn if you want, longvaladrien@hotmail.com

They age differently so I would think their cycles reflect the aging process.

There will be total equality among the sexes until males swell up for months at a time and then have to push something the size of a watermellon between something the size of a golf-ball!
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I vote this thread locked and closed, due to grossness.  I don't even like when my wife talks about this crap.

GROSS

Jarod

Don't even get AC started. I've read what she can come up with. Like that thing with the teeth and.. yea. Be bad to be that rapist.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

You've already weighed in once with your thoughts that menstruation is "gross."  It's entirely possible to not open and read the thread if a natural body function disturbs you -that- deeply.

On topic, we all know the menstruation, menses, and other such words have the same root as "moon," since the human menstrual cycle, give or take a few days, is about as long as the lunar cycle.  Of course, there's no actual biological reason why this -has- to be so.  Other animals don't usually correspond, so it seems to be a happy accident that humans are able to make this comparison.  It would be interesting to consider, for flavor's sake, whether Lirathu and Jihae's movements would have any correspondence with Zalanthan females' cycles, a 53-day one or otherwise.

That's a good point.  Two lunar cycles could account for an entirely
different menstrual cycle.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

There's nothing on menstruation itself for the average Zalanthan woman but I did find this link:
http://www.armageddon.org/general/pregnancy.html

Maybe - perhaps we can add some things and go into a bit more detail about the womanly art of playing a realistic female on Arm.  I've always just roleplayed PMS around the time -I- have it on months where I wanna kill everyone.  It's easy to answer "Why are you so bitchy!?!" with "I'm on my lunar cycle!! Arrrrgh!". It's enough to send a rumor flying around the clan to stay away from my character.  :)

Anyways, I think we should add a little some'nsome'n ;)

ShaLeah
-who does think certain things about reality are better left un-roleplayed...
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I remebered that there was an in depth coversation a long time ago where AC got into the gritty details.

For your reading pleasure.. A very long topic on the exact same subject. Enjoy!
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Jarod, No one is forcing you to read this thread, and apparently people are interested.

WELCOME TO THE INTERNETS.

I've never really played a period out before. Never saw the need.

[Edited by Adhira to remove IC content]
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.

Oh, I don't want t play it out.  But I was curious.

I'd imagine that, while I would not play out the actual hygienic tending to menstruation, I might have my character behave differently during "that time". I would probably time it with my own, as I doubt I would (want to) take a second cyclus into account when playing.

Speaking of which, what would be a realistic way to "deal" with it in a game world like this? I doubt they would have pads and cotton tampons.
b]YB <3[/b]

Aye, I see the point in this.

Maybe we should get females a (PMS) flag when it's their turn.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

There is some stuff here:  

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6270
http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=119225

I think there might have been some discussion in the old (pre-phpBB) archives too, but my hard drive died a few months ago so I lost the link.   :(

Basically you are probably looking at a pad made from cloth rags or from absorbant plant materials.  If you aren't rich you'll probably clean and re-use them for as long as possible (it is less gross than washing and re-using cloth diapers).

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Next we will have a topic about what a Zalanthans semen looks like..... god.  Angela Christine is probably right though... like she always is... damn her!

Quote from: "Ritley"Next we will have a topic about what a Zalanthans semen looks like.

Like dust.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I always imagined it being a reddy sorta color for some reason. Not even sure if that's possible.

A reddish colour? A red-tinted hue?

Have you ever dropped a cinder block on your testicles and then quickly proceeded to have an orgasm? EH? EH?

For krath's sake, do not try this at home
your mother is an elf.

Quote from: "Moofassa"A reddish colour? A red-tinted hue?

Have you ever dropped a cinder block on your testicles and then quickly proceeded to have an orgasm? EH? EH?

For krath's sake, do not try this at home

Heheheh.... uuuuhhhh no.... don't think I'm going to try either.

Let's bring this topic back around to the original topic, or it will be locked.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Women exposed to heavy labor, tough athletic conditions, or who are starved or overly skinny may have erratic cycles or nothing at all until the conditions where pregnancy could be tolerated emerge. As I see it so far on Zalanthas that means not running around doing half the stuff most normal have to do to survive, and still having the wealth for a healthy diet.

Does this help? Does an actual woman know if my understanding of physical strain vs the cycle would be accurate for Zalanthas?

I was having the same thought recently. I think if there was some way to distinguish the phases of the moon, that would help. It might also be effective in alerting a woman if she's -missed- her period, so she'd know when to start rejoicing/freaking out the mul mix didn't work.

But that's all the thought I gave to it. Moon cycles.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

I say we let Hymwen be the supreme authority on this matter.
ar is not about who is right, but who is left.

Quote from: "Tyriel"Women exposed to heavy labor, tough athletic conditions, or who are starved or overly skinny may have erratic cycles or nothing at all until the conditions where pregnancy could be tolerated emerge. As I see it so far on Zalanthas that means not running around doing half the stuff most normal have to do to survive, and still having the wealth for a healthy diet.

Does this help? Does an actual woman know if my understanding of physical strain vs the cycle would be accurate for Zalanthas?

Read this one again. Only nobles and those getting fed regularly would have a stable cycle realistically. In medieval Europe, as well as in Zalanthas, women's cycles would be irregular. "Having those" would be an exception to the rule rather than a common accurrance - this rarity was why it got labeled as a curse from devil in medieval times as well as numerous old cultures of Earth.

So no, propably not reagular with all the physical strain. Not to even mention the mental - this I believe is individual, but stress affects me at least...

There is another way to approach it.  Seeker's theory:

Female menstruation on Zalanthas -may- be connected to the moons, but the link is mathematically too complex to calculate.  The physics of the gravitational effects of the two interacting bodies are absolutely foreign concepts to the inhabitants.

Instead of understanding the interplay of the moons and its connection to the female cycle, the populace has learned instead to find the easier connection between the female cycle and the most visible, regular effect of those forces:  the silt sea tides.

Without having to know the reasons why the silt sea tides are regular and predictable, the sailors and residents have been able to chart and predict their regularities as far back as anyone can remember. And it relates precisely to the average female cycle.

(The actual tidal cycle in Zalanthan days is not important.  Could be anything.  Lets call it 28.4 Zalanthan days and pretend the moons rotations fits all this somehow.  Or perhaps the tide cycle is freaky-deaky, but mostly predictable, and that allows any player running a female to imagine her cycle whenever she wishes for whatever reason at any time.)

This explains why so many Zalanthan references to menstruation are tied to Red Storm and the seas (thank you, flurry).

"Give her some room.... silt's rising"
"My friend from Red Storm is visiting"
"Don't need mul mix.  My man is a skimmer pilot.  He knows the tides."
"Sure we're wanting a baby.  I just always seem to be at low ebb."

Or not.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

That is cute, the little sayings. I also think 'the rag' would be an obvious slang or coarse term to use, given the level of swearing I've seen IC amongst the lower class characters.

Again, this is how I see it:

If you want to play your cycle, hell, you would know it best. No one else is going to be keeping track or counting the days for you.

On the other hand, if you don't want to play it you can either assume it to a 'fade' area, just like nasty mudsex, or even just not have one because your ms. 'Run-From-Carru'.

Or, you can play a male character!!!

To my understanding (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), it's not clear whether real life cycles have anything to do with the lunar cycle.  For instance, in chimpanzees, the cycle is about 37 days.    We already know human biology on Zalanthas is somewhat different than on earth, too.  So I'd just assume that it's reasonably similar to RL (in terms of cycles per year), with some variation among the races.

I still like that "quirri has a nosebleed" one.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Wow...female PCs would be getting their period 12 times in a year then, which means about 12 times in 6 weeks, or about twice a week, or once every 3-4 days.  That's PMS WAY too often for my liking.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Yeah, but that's RL days.   It's more like 50 days ICly.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

But that's still pretty often to have to roleplay PMS.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"But that's still pretty often to have to roleplay PMS.

I agree. I wouldn't like to play PMS twice a week when I'm not gutting squirrels and random bystanders... >_>;

And really now - pms and having "those" isn't neccesarily such a big thing as modern whiny women may make it seem. Women of Zalanthas might just try to ignore it and are able for sure - they are tuffer than the coddled girls of today, I think they can deal with a little pain on their gut without raving about it.

The lunar cycle and the tides and whatnot have nothing to do with it, the timing is coincidental.  If the mystic resonances, gravitational forces or whatever other lunar influences you can imagine were really affecting human reproductive cycles, then all women would have the same cycle at the same time (or at least all the women in a geographic area).  Every non-pregnant woman would ovulate on the same day.  Every non-pregnant woman would get PMS on the same day.  :shock:   What a joy that would be.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Though, there seems to be -some- correlelation in real life. There've been articles about how women in workplaces often end up starting their periods within a few days of each other, if they've been working together for awhile and aren't hormonally controlled by the Pill. Could you imagine all the Lirathans menstruating at the same time? <shudder>

It's theorized to be effected by (in real life)
a) Light at night-time - that's why lunar cycles are mentioned here.
b) Hormones. Our noses know what we don't. And this has been scientifically proved in girl schoold and in other communities where women are closely together... So yes, all female templars of a certian order have PMS at the same time.  :twisted: