Your preference for PKing

Started by Forty Winks, August 25, 2005, 05:43:29 PM

When might you revert to PKing?

Whenever there's a good reason.
61 (62.2%)
When my character's life or other thing just as important is threatened in some manner. (Defensively)
19 (19.4%)
If my character has to revert to PKing, it is only when it will further a plot event, even if sparing someone could result in more danger for yourself.
10 (10.2%)
I never try to revert to PKing, and avoid it as much as possible.
8 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Voting closed: September 24, 2005, 05:43:29 PM

I've been wondering lately what others view about PKing. Seeing how sometimes I hear or see instances where a PK death could have been avoided and still have good roleplay, I was wondering what the reason might be for having to kill another PC, in the view of other players/characters.

And, what do people think of having objectives that rely upon PKing, whether or not it brings good roleplay?

I PK whenever it fits my character to kill someone.  I openly admit that I kill NPCs far more often than I do PCs.
It's difficult for me to be casual about killing other characters and my characters tend to look for an alternative rather than just kill people, but in the end of the day, when you have to die, you have to die.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I think it depends on the character.  Unless you're a psychopath, you shouldn't be killing every PC you can.  This goes double for magickers/sorcerors/mindbenders who are strong enough to kill with the blink of an eye.  If you're an important socialite with money and connections, though, I see nothing wrong with having someone killed just for insulting you, especially since that kind of PK tends to involve more people than just yourself and the victim (ie assassins and bribed law enforcement).

Objective and plots that can end in the death of PC are much more exciting, in my opinion.  It's such a great Armageddon rush to know that someone out there is trying to KILL YOU.

Just for fun or seeing worthless blood of poor commoners who does not have enough coins.

I kill when my character would, though if either knocking unconscious or killing serve my purpose equally well, I will leave the PC unconscious, not dead.

I try to do what my character would do, without thinking about it OOC. Often easier said than done, but I try.
Amor Fati

QuoteI PK whenever it fits my character to kill someone.

Agreed.
It all depends on the character I'm playing and what the situation is. If it is IC to kill them, then I don't let my OOC feelings make me do otherwise.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I'm somewhat desensitized to PKing. I don't mind at all when some one does it me, so I sometimes forget how it can affect other players.
See, I really, thoroughly enjoy making new characters. I've been playing a lot of Guild Wars recently, for example, and Guild Wars has a function that allows you to instantly create a max-level, fully-developed character if you so choose, instead of starting from scratch. During a few hours of playing Guild Wars, I might go through about five or six of these characters, creating and deleting and recreating as I test out new appearances, skillsets and stratagems. I'm just a perfectionist oddball like that.
I get the same sort of enjoyment writing up a new character for Arm. I'm as eager to get back into the game as any, of course, but I look forward to the Mighty Mantis Head as an opportunity for a character with a better description, a more engaging background, more exciting objectives, more interesting quirks, and a new, mysterious skillset.
So, yeah.. this is an open invitation to kill any of my characters.
With that said, I do try to remember that not everbody loves playing God as much as I do. While I would not hesitate to kill a character for IC reasons, I do tend to make "nice" characters; ones that wouldn't kill unless absolutely neccesary.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

I don't see it as "reverting to PK" I see it more as "A neccessary Evil, and a fun one."
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

What happened to the "I kill n00bs" option?
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Where is the "Whenever I get an easy chance" Option?
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Where is the "Whenever I get an easy chance" Option?

Valid point.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I PK everbody regardless of whether my character would or not, how come that's not a pole option?
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

There's no "Whenever the victim is mansa" option, either.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Well, if you know the character being played is controlled by mansa, wouldn't that be a reason to PK? I think that option fits into all the catagories mentioned so far.  :wink:

Anyways, does anyone else think that it's strange to have a RPI mud that has most of it's playerbase into PKing? Maybe I'm reading that poll wrong, but it seems the emphasis upon extending enjoyable plots to as many people involved and letting PCs enjoy their character is a rather small percent when compared to getting the thrill of a dagger up someones back. Maybe I should start a poll on which kind of plots people enjoy: the plot with 3 people invovled, or the plot with 8+ people invovled.  :roll:

Quote from: "Forty Winks"Anyways, does anyone else think that it's strange to have a RPI mud that has most of it's playerbase into PKing? Maybe I'm reading that poll wrong, but it seems the emphasis upon extending enjoyable plots to as many people involved and letting PCs enjoy their character is a rather small percent when compared to getting the thrill of a dagger up someones back.

I think it's as much an indication of the people that read the GDB and fill out polls.

I voted the third option.  It's easy to rationalize a reason to kill.  I like plots, deep meaty stories.  The person that got away and is after -your- blood is so much more fun than a wham, bam , kill you ma'am.  :twisted:
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Of my PK's, I wish that several had narrowly escaped.  

Looking back on it, it would have been much cooler if those few had come back later into my PC's story more aware, burning with hate, and all ready to have another go 'round.

The rest just didn't suffer long enough before I closed the curtain on them.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I think there are lots of PKs that are inefficient uses of material, espescially by those in power.

Why have some one killed when you can enslave them/turn them to spy, etc?

Just doesn't seem practically, ICly.

But the, as machiavelli said, "IF you are to injure some one, injure them so completely they may never strike back."

So, if I have power and are simply wielding it and are not threatened, I would refrain from PKs and think up more interesting and more effecient alternatives from both an IC and an OOC standpoint. But if I am TAKING power, then most often a PK would be necessary to prevent a knife in the back in a few RL months.

I kill whenever my character would kill.  It is a simple enough policy that I think everyone should follow.  That said, I reconize that as the player, I control the luck of my character to a large extent.  My character might try his damndest to kill someone, but there have been times when I had my character screw up and let someone escape.  We can't be perfect all the time.  When do I have my character's botch a kill?  If someone role plays well and tries to draw out the scene I am a lot more likely to decide that on this day my character fails to get between them and the door.

Ok, this is how I PK.

Kill a noob.

Ok. Now that you have some starting 'sids, drop them anywhere on any busy road way. Leave them there and leave the room, but keep a careful watch on the room for your prey (helps if your character is sneaky). Once somebody walks by, jump out at them with your previously poisoned weapon and make sure to hit them.

Here's the tricky part. They're most likely going to run. That's why it helps if you have your uber night-knights of noob-doom stationed along the road side or if you're a fighty kind of character.

Once you've attacked them. Repeat. Add some emotes and stuff to flavor it up and you should be done in a few minutes. Simmer. Ok, you should be done by now. All you gotta do is get all body and toss that nekkid corpse off to the side.

:mrgreen:

Quote from: "Rhyden"Ok, this is how I PK.

Kill a noob.

Glad I didn't meet you when I first logged on, mister.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Just a quick something to add...
I'd far rather die to a PC than to gortok #594 or from "you try to climb up, but slip" or from Xygax's "slay all".
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Where's the option:
"I kill Halaster, before he kills me."
or:
"I never get a chance to PK or be PKed, I suicide all my characters before Halasturd can kill them."
:?:

"Whenever there is a good, solid, IC reason"

I really do not PK new PCs, because it really brings things they had for that character to a complete, sudden stop. Also, I'd like to give the player behind the character a chance to roleplay with their character. Out of the time I've been playing here, only two PCs died to my fingertips and my character's blade.

[Note] I'm not a fan of mass PKing

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Well, i guess it's "kill just when it fits IC, regardless if it's a NPC or PC".
Enjoy the power

Asnoboy.