Palm&Slip

Started by Anonymous, May 10, 2005, 09:55:23 PM

Is the sleight of hand skill affected by the size of the object being palmed or slipped into a pack ect.? I kinda figure that it would be easier to 'stealthily' grab a ring from your cloak or pack than a sword for example. Also, is it possible to combine the palm skill with the command 'ep' or 'draw'? I'm saying, you could reach into your cloak and have your dagger/knife/whatever in your hand, and be ready to attack in an instant.

Thoughts?

Quote from: "Anonymous"Is the sleight of hand skill affected by the size of the object being palmed or slipped into a pack ect.?

Yes.

Quote from: "Anonymous"Also, is it possible to combine the palm skill with the command 'ep' or 'draw'?

Yes.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

QuoteAlso, is it possible to combine the palm skill with the command 'ep' or 'draw'? I'm saying, you could reach into your cloak and have your dagger/knife/whatever in your hand, and be ready to attack in an instant.

Not in my experience, but that'd be sweet.  :wink:
The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

QuoteAnonymous wrote:
Also, is it possible to combine the palm skill with the command 'ep' or 'draw'?

Mansa replied:
Yes.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Skill Sleight of Hand                                            (Equipment)

This skill allows the particularly deft of hand the chance to retrieve or
put away items without being noticed by the not particularly observant.

Syntax:
  palm (item) (container)
  slip (item) (container)

Example:
  > palm card boot
  > slip card boot

See also:
  palm, slip, drop, encumbrance, give, put, take

Since it's a simply syntax, why don't you tell us this secret trick?
The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything."

Yeah. Share or I'll slowly crush your knuckles into bone dust with a pair of channel locks.  I've been wondering for quite a while if you could hold an item without having to use hold.  I looked at the slip and palm help files, but didn't see a thing on it.

It's only a syntax like lazycritic said, so what could be the harm in disclosing it? (Well, actually I could probably find a way to do harm with it if you disclose it, but that's beside the point.  :twisted: )  

If not I'm swear to Krath I'll go into the most crowded tavern I can find (and I'll spam-walk all the way to the other side of the known world to find it) then I'll try every syntax I know right there in the middle of the tavern while making ooc comments like "oops" "lol" and "Yeah? Well your mom doesn't like it when I break character either!"
i] Sarge's Lifting Advice:[/i] Don't lift with your legs. Your back's the strongest muscle in your body! And look man, your knees aren't even locked. How do you expect to stand up straight? Put your groin into it!

When you have palm, draw/sheath commands into special certain items will not be noticed by others.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

I didn't understand that sentance AT ALL! Do you mean that certain items will automatically be drawn descretely if you have the 'sleight of hand' ability?

If that's the case, I think it's a pretty stupid one.  Why not just be able to "palm dagger ep"  Or, maybe with a sheathed weapon you could "slide dagger es" to discretely slip you hand into your cloak and pull out a dagger?

What's with all the secrecy on this topic? If you're not gonna let the player base know how to do this, you might as well get rid of the help docs on the 'sleight of hand' skill. Oh, and the steal skill.. And why not backstab while we're at it. And, for good measure, hide and sneak too?

Sure it could be used twinkishly, but anything can. It should only apply to daggers anyways. Anything bigger, even a shortsword, is too big to be successfully snuck out.
i] Sarge's Lifting Advice:[/i] Don't lift with your legs. Your back's the strongest muscle in your body! And look man, your knees aren't even locked. How do you expect to stand up straight? Put your groin into it!

Quote from: "halfhuman"It should only apply to daggers anyways. Anything bigger, even a shortsword, is too big to be successfully snuck out.
What about:
* Rings
* Coins
* Nuts
* Coins?
* Cards
* Did I mention coins?

And I've found a new 'sig.

In this case, he's probably referring to knifebelts, bootsheaths, and perhaps arm/wrist sheaths. People want to keep it secret to retain their advantage. *shrugs*

"Sheath dagger knifebelt" will sheath your dagger into the knifebelt..."draw dagger knifebelt" will draw it.

Quote from: "halfhuman"I didn't understand that sentance AT ALL! Do you mean that certain items will automatically be drawn descretely if you have the 'sleight of hand' ability?

What's with all the secrecy on this topic? If you're not gonna let the player base know how to do this, you might as well get rid of the help docs on the 'sleight of hand' skill. Oh, and the steal skill.. And why not backstab while we're at it. And, for good measure, hide and sneak too?

Because I, and many others have been banned for telling people how certain things work.  And because some people can't tell the difference between IC and OOC actions.

You play a fine line when you explain certain things that -aren't- in the docs, and some people don't know those lines.  We're scared, basically, of being called on spreading OOC gossip.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Not scared, I think you need to find out on your own, I've sat for hours trying to figure shit out in the game and never got anywhere with it, but when I do hit on something special or unique about some quirk, It's a great feeling.

-D
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Yes, because it takes HOURS, IC to figure out that.. oh-my-god.. I can leave this building by typing 'leave'..  I'm sure glad that I didn't use OOC info, even though my character would easily be able to walk out the door just like walking 'west'.

Syntax should never be considered IC.. by definition, syntax is a completely OOC construct.  This is not figuring out the secret way to gain the steel katana..  This is figuring out how to press B on the video game controller.
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

Is it just me....

....... Or that palm/slip never fails??  :shock:
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Sir Diealot"Yes, because it takes HOURS, IC to figure out that.. oh-my-god.. I can leave this building by typing 'leave'..  I'm sure glad that I didn't use OOC info, even though my character would easily be able to walk out the door just like walking 'west'.

Syntax should never be considered IC.. by definition, syntax is a completely OOC construct.  This is not figuring out the secret way to gain the steel katana..  This is figuring out how to press B on the video game controller.

Syntax is explained in the help files.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "Sir Diealot"Yes, because it takes HOURS, IC to figure out that.. oh-my-god.. I can leave this building by typing 'leave'..  I'm sure glad that I didn't use OOC info, even though my character would easily be able to walk out the door just like walking 'west'.

I'm not talking about leave.

Really?  We weren't talking about leave in the middle of a palm/sleight of hand discussion?  I.. really am absolutley stunned, RunningMountain.  Could you please -please- share more of your kernels of wisdom.  :roll:

Or, perhaps.. just maybe.. I was using it as an example, yanno, to make a point.  That if it is codedly possible to do, then the syntax should be a bit more obvious, since it seems to have ducked several people.  also, 7DV, you realize that the syntax, in the helpfiles, makes it hard for some people to see how to apply it to this situation.  Therefore, peraps the helpfiles need to be a little bit more clear, in order to help people play their characters to the fullest.

Also, maybe the syntax is that you have the dagger in a cloak or whatever and you 'palm dagger cloak'  though I'm not sure, since I don't tend to make sneaky types.

Bah, you're the reason I don't go spouting these little things off to everyone for.  If I tell one person, people like you go off telling everyone else and stating "Oh well it's nothing special, everyone should know."  Figure it out on your own, jacknut.

-RM

Simma dehn neh!
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

'Hey, Diealot, how do you jump in this game?'

'Oh, you just hit x..'

'Hey, RM, how do you jump in this game?'

'OMG! FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF! ZALANTHAS IS HARSH ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG I CAN'T TELL YOU ANYTHING EV4R!!!!!!!!!!!11111oneoneoneeleven'

Its syntax.  Its something that is so entirely not IC, that pulling this 'figure it out yourself' BS, in this situation, hurts the game, because its like not telling a newbie that you have to type 'n' to move.  It is honestly almost the exact same thing.  Its a way to make your character do what you want it to do.  Its not a secret, its not a plot element, it actually lends to the RP experience, and creates more realistic play..  Your argument is flawed, and you lack the mental capacity to understand the difference between IC and OOC.

Oh man, I think we covered palm and slip enough. I'm sensing too much hostility.. *cough*lock*cough*thread*cough*
You do know that MUDsex is not a coded skill, right? -Nidhogg

Not hostile, just pointing out stupidity.

Go to Ask the Staff.