The figure in the dusty blah blah wearing the bloodied blah

Started by Bestatte, January 19, 2005, 09:10:17 AM

Thank you for changing that! It's easier on the eyes now to see just one or the other sdesc when people are wearing multiple items that cover the normal sdesc.

That is all.

Oh, I have memories myself of being with the figure in a dark, hooded cloak, the figure in a dark, hooded cloak. And myself wearing a dark,hooded cloak.
Veteran Newbie

Previously, it would be this:

The tall and obese figure wearing a dusty, green and pink striped sandcloth windcloak and the bloodied and tattered rhinocerous-embroidered orange sandcloth veil is standing here, bleeding profusely.

Now, it's this:

The tall and obese figure wearing a dusty, green and pink striped sandcloth windcloak is standing here, bleeding profusely.

MUCH better. Though I am not surprised that guy's bleeding profusely. I'd try to kill him too, if I saw him with such a stupid looking cloak.

Yes, much, much better..
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

What on god's green earth are you talking about?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Try this, Tamarin:

Wear a veil. Then put your hood up. Type "look me" and notice, you are no longer

The figure in the sandcloth cloak and the satin green veil.

That was how it was, until last week I think.

Now, you're just

The figure in the sandcloth cloak.

If you lower your hood, you will become:

The figure in the satin green veil.

until you remove the veil.

Then you'll be your usual sdesc self.

Oooh sexy.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I personally think it sucks, it's only going to contribute to more x-ray vision twinks now that they can't obviously see how covered up someone is.
The longer sdesc never bothered me before because it served a purpose, with a glance I could tell someone was mostly covered up if they are wearing a facewrap and a hood up and all...

I'm not very happy with this change.  :(

Edited to add: See, before I would see an sdesc with a facial covering and a hood up and I would not look at them so that I didn't have their main desc (something too many people can't seem to resist doing as it is), now I have to look and give myself the information I don't want in order to even see if their face is covered along with the hood up.

Also, I think that there's still too many things OOCly against those that wish to hide their identities, now here's another one...it's a step in the -wrong- direction IMO.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

It's always bad to conceal your identity based on the trustworthiness of another player, can't be helped. Even wearing a bandana on the face should provide some concealment, not to mention a veil/mask/facewrap, but if the other player decides he has X-ray, all one can do is to ignore and walk away.
Lovehina- Ken Akamatsu

QuoteIt's always bad to conceal your identity based on the trustworthiness of another player, can't be helped.

What in the heck does this mean? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Means the code doesn't allow features [ldesc] to be hidden, which means hidden faces [facewrapped/veiled..] have to depend on how honest the other players are with themselves, which is bad, but it can't be helped.

Since if A sees B, A will know who are B is by his ldesc, and probably find expose the figure in a purple cloak and purple veil, be it subconsciously or otherwise. He does know as the player.
Lovehina- Ken Akamatsu

Quote from: "SewerRat_inTheOpen"Means the code doesn't allow features [ldesc] to be hidden, which means hidden faces [facewrapped/veiled..] have to depend on how honest the other players are with themselves, which is bad, but it can't be helped.

Since if A sees B, A will know who are B is by his ldesc, and probably find expose the figure in a purple cloak and purple veil, be it subconsciously or otherwise. He does know as the player.

Yes it can, put that back the way it was and hide main desc when one is that covered. It's complete bullshit to go the opposite direction and make something that time and time again has proven that it doesn't work (more oftent than it does work) to be even more of an issue.

All it takes is -one- x-ray twink to completely destroy a character because they can't help but abuse the OOC knowledge.

It's not fair and I think it's something that's really broken about the game from a mechanical standpoint.

Much better. Although recently I came upon a helmet that covers every facial feature but a slit for the eyes. Thought it'd be neat to incorperate that into a sdesc...but not any more! Much better, thank you.

It's cool how such a little tweak can make things much easier on the eyes. Props!
Amor Fati

Quote from: "jhunter"
Quote from: "SewerRat_inTheOpen"Means the code doesn't allow features [ldesc] to be hidden, which means hidden faces [facewrapped/veiled..] have to depend on how honest the other players are with themselves, which is bad, but it can't be helped.

Yes it can, put that back the way it was and hide main desc when one is that covered. It's complete bullshit to go the opposite direction and make something that time and time again has proven that it doesn't work (more oftent than it does work) to be even more of an issue.

All it takes is -one- x-ray twink to completely destroy a character because they can't help but abuse the OOC knowledge.

It's not fair and I think it's something that's really broken about the game from a mechanical standpoint.

I understand what you mean, for people will probably miss the veil of the cloaked figure and thinks his face is open or they might just ignore it, since the description is now only as cloaked figure.

But that doesn't change the fact that the twink will disregard the ldesc that scrolls down on his screen when he does -look figure- , even with the previous code.

It's either trust or some alternative like make a compulsory 2nd ldesc for when you are veiled/masked.
Lovehina- Ken Akamatsu

Quote from: "Rhyden"Much better. Although recently I came upon a helmet that covers every facial feature but a slit for the eyes. Thought it'd be neat to incorperate that into a sdesc...but not any more! Much better, thank you.

It still can, actually.  But it will not modify your sdesc at the same time as a hooded cloak item.

I liked the old way. Seeing the great tall figure in the burnished camo-stealth cloak wearing a blue cloth veil makes sense if you can see the veil.

Just seeing The great tall figure in the burnished camo-stealth cloak won't give you all the information that you -should- be able to see.

At least, can we get a toggle for this? I personally love seeing huge ldescs and all the information a person would see from face value. (Instead of magically not noticed that concealing veil because people don't read equipment-lists fully).
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: "Bogre"(Instead of magically not noticed that concealing veil because people don't read equipment-lists fully).
Well, perhaps this is a reason to read the equipment lists fully?  There are some very interesting items out there that will never show up in an sdesc, no matter whether a hood is up or not.

An additional tip for the day:
Remember that you can "look man's vibrating" to see the vibrating thing that you see him wearing.   :wink:
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

Yeah...I didn't want to comment because I was on the side. -and you see the veil-  for quick reference that helps.  But...I did play a character who wore a bandana on his face, hair and neck...and about throat.

So, you have a very good point Xammimy

We should all spam look more often. -and emote)
Veteran Newbie

You could always drop the hood, then you would be the veiled figure.  I'd like to see less cloak usage overall, and anyway most people WILL check to see what sort of cloak you are wearing to see your affiliation.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I can't help but feel the 'look spam' and the 'magickally knowing who a veiled and hooded person is' problem would be at least partially solved if we had a 'glance' command that showed equipment only (but only to the extent a normal 'look' would, not to the extent a 'peek' might). It wouldn't show the long description and it wouldn't echo.

So you could see what that raider was wearing but not look him in the face, and the raider could tell you that if you tried to get a good look at him, he'd stab you dead.

Then you have what he was wearing, how he spoke, and relative height and weight to work off of, which is pretty much all you would realistically have in a situation like that.

Also, 90% of the reason I ever look at anyone once I've met them a few times is to see what they're wearing and holding, which makes the echo seem like useless spam. I also feel guilty 'look'ing at hooded and veiled characters and simply ignore the ldesc as much as I can to focus on their equipment, which is the reason I look at them in the first place.

Quote from: "Delirium"I can't help but feel the 'look spam' and the 'magickally knowing who a veiled and hooded person is' problem would be at least partially solved if we had a 'glance' command that showed equipment only (but only to the extent a normal 'look' would, not to the extent a 'peek' might). It wouldn't show the long description and it wouldn't echo.

So you could see what that raider was wearing but not look him in the face, and the raider could tell you that if you tried to get a good look at him, he'd stab you dead.

Then you have what he was wearing, how he spoke, and relative height and weight to work off of, which is pretty much all you would realistically have in a situation like that.

Also, 90% of the reason I ever look at anyone once I've met them a few times is to see what they're wearing and holding, which makes the echo seem like useless spam. I also feel guilty 'look'ing at hooded and veiled characters and simply ignore the ldesc as much as I can to focus on their equipment, which is the reason I look at them in the first place.

I like.  Not only is it less spam.  but theres the RP of looking.  No ooc reason to look.   Cool. Very Cool.
Threaten.....Glance  We're on a role. Let's derail into the Code forum.
Veteran Newbie

I never said I don't read equipment lists. I just skim through them and don't meticulously stare at each line of text.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Yeah, but scanning is all you need.  I typically snap my eyes to <about body> to look for some obvious clan colors. And I mean, a cloak is a big thing you would notice too...but flick across the <position>  Face...should be a big one.
Veteran Newbie

I know this would take alot of coding, but I'd like to see ldescs changed.

When you create a character, and you start writing the ldesc you'll see:

What does your characters head look like?
What does your characters eyes look like?
What does your characters hair look like?

Or bunch it into
What does your characters head look like? (The whole head, not just shape or what ever)
What does your characters torso look like?
etc.

And each are numbered so you can arrange them however you like.

Then certain items designed to conceal the body will conceal those parts of the description that are relevant.

I.E. Veil will conceal face, sunslits will conceal eyes, etc.