Notes

Started by TripleX, October 30, 2004, 02:07:57 PM

I was wondering what is considered to be a bad note on an account, and if I have one, how will I be able to learn about it so I can improve my game.

You should mail the MUD account to learn if there are bad notes in your character account.
But these days imms are busy :). I believe we should be waiting for the answers to such non-critical questions in some time.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

To see your account notes, you would send an email to the mud account requesting your account notes.  What is or isn't a bad note is really up to interpretation, however, and will be determined by the IMM reading your account notes.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

And don't hold your breath waiting for the email back.

Quote from: "Agent_137"And don't hold your breath waiting for the email back.

Oh it's perfectly safe.
Veteran Newbie

Aren't you supposed to be notified if a bad note is put on your notes?  I thought I read that somewhere.   I might be confused or completely wrong, though.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Quote from: "flurry"Aren't you supposed to be notified if a bad note is put on your notes?  I thought I read that somewhere.   I might be confused or completely wrong, though.

I believe you are correct. They don't tell you about good notes, though, in my experience.

If what you did is extraordinarily fine, you understand. An imm mails to your account or animates a NPC supporting your RP. That's why I found the courage of asking for another karma level with this char.
Since I had nearly none :twisted: I don't know much about bad notes.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

You're suppose to ask?

edit: Oops, now people are gonna ask. :X
Veteran Newbie

Quote from: "Agent_137"
Quote from: "flurry"Aren't you supposed to be notified if a bad note is put on your notes?  I thought I read that somewhere.   I might be confused or completely wrong, though.

I believe you are correct. They don't tell you about good notes, though, in my experience.

If that's true, then a few folks on staff haven't been doing it. At least, not to me. I had to ask for my account notes to find out that there were several "less spectacular" comments in my file. I had absolutely no idea about a couple of them.

I think that is a group GDB hallucination because I've never heard of such a policy that I can recall.

I can't blame people who are volunteering in their leisure time for not wanting to confront people via an email notification every time they note something negative on someone's account.

I would only expect that people would be contacted when their actions are pretty severe.

Oh I totally agree CRW - I wasn't posting that because I think it's something the Imms ought to do or to which we're somehow entitled.

I just thought I remembered something to that effect being stated - maybe it was over karma things.  I have no idea.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

I believe our current policy is to notify players when me make changes, good or bad, to thier karma levels.

A comment on your account is not nessecarially an adjustment to your karma levels. Comments are simply that: comments. Karma adjustments come with thier own comments section, and you will (most likely) be notified about the reasons why your Karma was adjusted. Typically 'comments' include mundane details we, as staff, find useful when dealing with players (things like how often someone has stored a character, and when; instances of utter twinkery; notes to other staff about a players playing style/ideosyncracies; good or bad 'genneral info').

So, if you write in, and see a bunch of stuff you didn't know about, thats new it could be one of a couple things - a comment (that wasn't an adjustment to your Karma levels), or someone just forgot/neglected to inform you.
Tlaloc
Legend

Is it good general practice to periodically check your account notes?

I figure that if the IMMs thought I needed to know anything (ways to improve play style, adjustments to the way I should RP a situation, an overtendency to spam command, etc.) they would let me know.  Naive?

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I've wondered the exact same thing. Interested in the answer to this.

Account notes and character notes are both primarily used as a system of communication between staff members. 90% of the time it isn't useful for you as a player, because the intended audience is other staff members. A lot of mundane data-tracking is done with the system along with the more juicy, player-evaluation type stuff. If you're dying to know what's there, then obviously a request is an option... but it is definitely not something of grand importance.
vendyra the Queen of Purity says, out of character:
     "ORFL"

When a player, I requested account notes a couple times.  What you find out by reading your account notes is what the IMMs think of you, which can be good for your knowledge, so that you know what we do and don't like about what you've done.  However, even though I don't handle account mail and thus the more than likely hundreds of requests for account notes that this thread has spurred, I can probably say that you shouldn't be asking to see your account notes often.  I gave it about six months between asking for them when I was a player, and I'd suggest that as a good minimum time between requests.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

I've asked...twice. I think.

Each time I was pretty polite, just putting it in as a little note, and thanks.
Didn't attach much emphasis to it, it's not a very pressing issue.

And eventually....I got an email with some comments. Not soon at all though.
Veteran Newbie

Quote from: "Seeker"Is it good general practice to periodically check your account notes?

So the answer is a very, very lukewarm yes, if done at suitably spaced intervals?

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I think it's good to check them periodically, if only to clear up any misunderstandings.  Six months seems like a reasonable interval to me, and be aware that some people answering the account mail like to do them in batches, so the response may not be immediate.

We'll usually add a line at your request, if you feel there's a "bad" note that you want to clear up, but usually we don't remove items.  If something's genuinely wrong, please let us know.

One question I've got for ya...how bad is it to disagree with a staff member?

One time I got a little pushed away from the game becuase I just didnt know what to say about something. I think the comment was that I shouldn't be given pk sensitive roles. Took it as kinda insulting...there was no reason given behind it, so I couldn't say anything.

(((((((((((((((((((
And really...I mean...I am NOT a pker. I have a couple times though. It was given to me when I played a char who fucked up pks actually. He was an idiot...and I played him as such purposely.
))))))))))))))))))))))

But...yeah. Basically, if you find a comment that you want to disagree with, I doubt it's a priority of the staff, you've got other things to work on. Or play on...Id much rather forget it and have an imm animate an npc than talk about it and try to argue my point.

One thing I feel I learned from it all though...is I got really put off from imm attention because of it. I've received -very- little feedback on my roleplaying when Ive asked for it, and then have had such a comment tagged on wihtout notifcation or any explanation. (that I received)
As since then...I don't rp for the imms. Note: Fuck the imms. ;) lol...just kidding, but if you can get my drift. I'll rp for the other players and myself...and just try to ignore any thoughts of wether or not an immortal might be watching.  Hence you would think I'd stop using the think command...but strangely I can't bring myself to do it.

Although I'd like to add, although I said fuck....i really do have a great respect for the staff. Only meant it as a generally phrasing up.
Veteran Newbie

Something Dracul said, that I'd like to back up.  Don't roleplay for us.  We're not up here watching you all like some kind of soap opera, eating bon-bons and doing our household chores when things get slow.  Do it for yourself and the people around you.  Do it for the knowledge that you are helping to write a story with so many individual and intertwining plots.  We'll comment on people we think are doing a good/bad job of that, that is all.  Learn from the bad, and get a warm fuzzy from the good.
-X-_

To me, roleplaying and acting are a lot alike, they beg for an audience, and aren't much fun when you don't have one (and here I picture Richard Dreyfuss in Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead stopped by and roaring, "AN AUDIENCE!").  And I just discovered I'm not really going anywhere with this, so that's all you get.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Quote from: "Dracul"One question I've got for ya...how bad is it to disagree with a staff member?

One time I got a little pushed away from the game becuase I just didnt know what to say about something. I think the comment was that I shouldn't be given pk sensitive roles. Took it as kinda insulting...there was no reason given behind it, so I couldn't say anything.

It's never bad to disagree with a staff member. People arrive at their opinions based on the information they have.  You may have other information. All of the staff is open to your thoughts and input as long as you are polite and treat them with the same courtesy you would like extended to you.
idhogg

Ask me if I'm a tree