Return to sender

Started by Vettrock, July 30, 2004, 02:18:06 PM

What do you all think about a way to contact someone who is in contact with you?  Something like if you did contact without a keywork it would automatically attempt to contact the person who is in contact with you?

for example something similar happened to me: (keywords have been changed to protect the innocent, and not so innocent)

the tall, dark man contact you:
Hey did you see that one thing with that one guy that one time back then? let me know.

think hmm, I can't remember his name...

contact tall
Their mind is too forgien for you.

contact 2.tall
Their mind is too forgein for you.

contact 3.tall
Their mind is too forgein for you.

contact 20.tall
Their mind is too forgien to you.

think hmm....
contact dark
you contact the not right person.
break
contact 2.dark
you contact the other not right person.
break
contact 3.dark
you contact anther not right person.

think hmmm...I guess I'll have to wait until I see him again.

(Yes I really did go all the way to 20 and still didn't contact him....
Vettrock

dunno what the code would be, but yeah I agree with you.  A reply command wouldn't be so bad really.  It'd be quite nice most of the time.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

For reasons which I don't think I should delve into.. no.

I think there's a purpose for why the Way works as it does. Besides, complications arise when there's more than one person in contact with you.. especially if you weren't aware of one of them.

QuoteFor reasons which I don't think I should delve into.. no.

Why don't you just delve into them so it dosen't keep coming up?

Quote from: "Anonymous"
QuoteFor reasons which I don't think I should delve into.. no.

Why don't you just delve into them so it dosen't keep coming up?

IC info friend. It may do more harm than good. =/

I love how people who say that are always anonymous.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

how is that ic information?  or is it ic to screw up wrestling with the keyword and #. system trying to reply, where unlike mis typing a help file which is ooc, has potentially deadly ic consequences

Dude(itta). She didn't say those were the reasons. She said reasons she wouldn't delve into. Reasons you may not know of, and shouldn't. I know I don't, and I shouldn't, so chill.

I'm guessing Delirium thinks it would mess up something mindbenders do which is why it is ic info and isn't going to be posted.  It was just an idea, as I got a little frustrated trying to contact someone back.  Not a big deal, but I thought it would be a nice addition.
Vettrock

Posting 'it might mess up somthing mindbenders might be able to do' is sooooooooooooooooo much better than 'ic info, no'

hell, 'it might mess with somthing somepeople might be able to do' is soooooooo much better

See the second and third sentence in my original post. :)

I apologize if I wasn't clear enough, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Although...if someone is in contact with you, after they sent the initial PSI message so you now know their sdesc..

Maybe that's when a "reply" command could kick in.

It would prevent you from being able to way someone who hasn't actually communicated with you yet..

And in cases of more than one person already psi-ing you at the same time, it would reply to the one who got your mind first - and that would -only- apply to those people who have already identified their sdescs via the Psi skill.

You know, when someone says, "I know something you don't, and don't think I should tell you.  However, knowing what I know, this is a bad idea," and people hop on their case...I'd like to see one of those large cartoon hammers hit those getting all riled up on the head.  Seriously, people, some information should not be just handed out.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "Delirium"For reasons which I don't think I should delve into.. no.

Delirium clearly copied my opinion and used it as her own before I had a chance to post it.

A better "realistic" reason...

If the best description of the person you wish to contact is "the tall dark man," do you really know him well enough to find his mind in the middle of a city?

Personally, I refuse to contact people whose name I know, but have never met in-game, and that's a 100% chance... no reason I should be able to be able to contact someone based on being told "he's tall and has green skin."

So... the solution to your problem is... ask his name next time you meet him.

Actually I did get his name when I met him, but I didn't write it down and forgot it.
Vettrock

Edit:  Bah, nevermind.  It's late and I didn't notice there was a page 2 to this thread.   :o
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Me, I'd rather be able to include multiple keywords.

contact tall dark human
contact slim dark haired elf

so on and so forth.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "Linedel"A better "realistic" reason...

If the best description of the person you wish to contact is "the tall dark man," do you really know him well enough to find his mind in the middle of a city?

Personally, I refuse to contact people whose name I know, but have never met in-game, and that's a 100% chance... no reason I should be able to be able to contact someone based on being told "he's tall and has green skin."

So... the solution to your problem is... ask his name next time you meet him.

Maybe they forgot if there was another s in Kgarishakas?
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!