Sleeping

Started by The_Black_Wizard, July 24, 2004, 07:07:00 PM

I realised in arm.mud that sleeping stuff is not realistic... I watch Pc's and NpC walking around the streets, drinking, chatting in the bars for days and they dont sleep.
I am sure there are some players who use the "sleep" comment not until their hp's go down to a critical point.
Isnt that unrealistic?
players must understand that "resting" couldnt not be an alternative for "sleeping".
I suggest arm.mud must force pc's to sleep. (Loosing movement, stun, even Hp, increase of hunger, thirst)
 am the Black Wizard.

This arguement, about sleeping, has been around a time or two before. Best  answer, in the past, is most of us don't want to spend alot of time RP'ing sleep. If just ain't much fun.
I'd rather be lucky than good.

i've never think of it :)
so wise.
 am the Black Wizard.

I don't think that forced downtime is what Armageddon needs, especially with a small and spread out playerbase relative to MMO's that do such a thing.

I think I recall reading somewhere that there -are- some concequences if you go on and on and on without sleep? Not especially severe ones, and it takes a -lot- of going before they kick in. Or, maybe I imagined reading that, like I imagined that movie....
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

I think you imagined it.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Possible.. Nobody's answering the movie thing either. So I'm just nuts I guess. If you see me in Arm, I'm the one who thinks they're riding the irridescent, winged rhino and not a drab yellow kank... Run. Quickly.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

To play devil's advocate, though, taking a ten or fifteen minute break from Arm while your character sleeps would certainly be good on your back, eyes, diet, significant other, etc...

Quote from: "jstorrie"To play devil's advocate, though, taking a ten or fifteen minute break from Arm while your character sleeps would certainly be good on your back, eyes, diet, significant other, etc...
Um, I can back this up.  I periodically go to sleep IG so that I can hit the bathroom, get some food, head out for a smoke...or the like.  It's good for you occasionally.  Just don't interrupt an  important scene.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I will usually sleep regularily if I have a reasonably safe non-virtual place to sleep.  If not I usually assume my PC goes home to sleep while I'm logged out, and sleep very rarely.  Call me crazy, but I don't want to buy new pants every day.  ;)

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I believe it was established (but am not positive) that PCs/V/NPCs would not sleep everyday, because the days are substantially shorter then real-life, so alot of players do their sleeping in their virtual existance. Like after you've been awake for three days you then go to sleep and do it all off-line.