A little more harsh

Started by WhiteRanger, July 22, 2004, 02:16:13 PM

A little more harsh?

Sure lets make sandstorms mean something again!
36 (46.2%)
I think it would take away to the playability of the game.
26 (33.3%)
I want to see tornadoes and rain!
3 (3.8%)
Gimpka rats should be magical.
13 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: July 23, 2004, 10:21:31 AM

I always thought that was just when it was dark(and you had no light).

Light levels and things in the way to prevent sight are two seperate things, yes, but don't they both cause the same thing?  Loss of visibility.  Think realistically, act realistically and don't worry about the code until you find out in game.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Shoka, it did. I haven't run into a storm that did in RL years now, so I beleive that it has been taken out. Of course, one should RP being befuddled by the lack of sight, unless, of cours, you just wouldn't be.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

V, within the last couple months, I KNOW for fact that I have run into the problem...if visibility gets too low due to lack of light or presence of storm either alone or in some combination has caused me to go the wrong way.  Mind, if you can read the room description, your character can see well enough to walk along happily...if you can't see well enough, you may want to figure it out.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"V, within the last couple months, I KNOW for fact that I have run into the problem...if visibility gets too low due to lack of light or presence of storm either alone or in some combination has caused me to go the wrong way.  Mind, if you can read the room description, your character can see well enough to walk along happily...if you can't see well enough, you may want to figure it out.
Are you positive it wasn't night? I mean, me and a pahtnah who runs the desert was talking about this the other day, and it wasn't what was happening. If this is back in, good.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Like I said, I know it happened a couple months ago...but that was with a previous character, in a different area (not to mention different type of area completely).  Unfortuantely, I can not test to see if it is in, but like I said, I encourage everyone (as I'm sure you realized was who I was talking to for the last half of my post last time too) to simply play realistically, though.  Get a light source!  Don't walk around in the dark night in a sandstorm, people!

Rangers and perhaps desert elves (not sure about that one) can walk straight regardless of lack of light or the presence of a sandstorm. If this is realistic I do not know, but I also know in real life we dont have "Rangers" persay, maybe some close equivelants, but not any true "Rangers" to compare with our in game "Rangers".  So I think deciding if your ranger has the ability to keep it straight regardless of a storm is a decision the player has to make.
oodness, courage, and love is a song. In my travels I have learned one thing, evil creatures can not sing.  -Drizzt Do'Urden-

I figured it was because they have a natural sense of direction.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "Cuusardo"I figured it was because they have a natural sense of direction.

You are correct, they do.

Quote from: "WhiteRanger"dont have "Rangers" persay, maybe some close equivelants, but not any true "Rangers" to compare with our in game "Rangers".

A poorly trained Green Beret would qualify.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Um, what exactly were the people the US were fighting in Vietnam?  I'd call those fuckers rangers, being all sneaky and the like.

Don't forget the Texas Rangers.

While they're basically the Texas FBI here, they originally started out, riding around in the wilderness, doing typical 'rangery' things.

Really well trained Boy Scouts might qualify, as would many real-world hunters.
Tlaloc
Legend

I thought they were a baseball team.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Not mentioned so far, and would put anybody mentioned to shame so far are the many native tribes scattered around the world even today and in history. For woodlore, herbalism, hunting, tracking, poison use and more they would be the closest to a zalanthan ranger...or in many ways better.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Code Changes:
Torches now have a chance of extinguishing in high wind or bad weather. Please report any problems via the bug

command. (Script by Halaster, added to items by Ashyom)

YEA, NOW WE ARE GETTING SOMEWHERE....KICKASS HALASTER!
oodness, courage, and love is a song. In my travels I have learned one thing, evil creatures can not sing.  -Drizzt Do'Urden-

Really well trained boy scouts? Ok, I see where we are going with this. The topic of debate isnt wether or not we have real world rangers, but for the love of god, just having wilderness knowledge dosent make you a ranger. A quadraplegic could sit around reading survival books and search wild herb knowledge on the net, be the most knowledgeable of all in the tactics of surviving the wilderness, but being a ranger is more than just a knowledge thing. Im talking a scrab chopping, travel all day and night without a saddle sore, spit in your eye, RANGER.