Clan vs. Independent

Started by sjanimal, July 20, 2004, 01:32:58 PM

That's one of the main problems I have with the noble systems right now.

You can be directly defending your noble, not from physical attack, but from verbal harrassment and open slander from someone two feet in front of him, who is spitting at your noble full in the face...and you do what your job is, and get crimflagged.

It's still a better idea to just contact a templar and have him deal with it, which makes the idea of  PC guard...a little less fun, and a little less needed.

Especially in the clans where that -is- their role.  To protect the noble and the house.

While it's likely you'd get released from jail after the explanation, you are -not- likely to get non-house issue weapons back, and things can go bad along the way.  Such as opening a prison door and hordes of soldiers running in to kill the prisoner before the templar can even come inside.

Yeah, when that happens, it sucks.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Hey, that's cool with me.

You're heard it from Xygax himself, ladies and gentlemen.  The nobles already have enough power and the independents already have a hard enough life.

I'm going to play Nintendo for a few hours and then have some Thai food, and then go post more mundane information on the random OOC chatter part of this GDB.
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

Quote from: "Bestatte"
I'd love to see a change in that, but until there exists no new players in the game, who can be hired to be house guards, and since we WANT new players to come into the game, I can't think of any way for it to happen.

that is, unless, you wish upon a star.

I'm not fully convinced that, in all cases, a noble-guard (or even the noble themselves) should be able to attack anyone in the streets, regardless of the level of offense.  If you think your particular situation demands legal attention, contact your favorite templar, and if they're not online, try (gently) wishing up.

Quote from: "Bestatte"If a highly respected, high-ranking Tor guard, friend to the city, yada yada yada is guarding his noble, and some cretin comes up and threatens the noble, it is the Tor guard who'll end up in jail if he initiates combat to get rid of the cretin.
Prestige doesn't necesasrily protect from arrest:  Ken Lay went to jail.  Martha Stewart, Oliver Stone, Whitney Houston.  Ad infinitum.

Do what you're prepared to for your boss.  If you go to jail, pray you work for someone whose clout will get you out the sooner, shrug.   I don't really see a major problem with the current system.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Rather than blather on and on with my opinions and piss a whole bunch of people off, I will simply throw this link out here, which pretty much sums up exactly how I feel.  I'm not sure who wrote it, it's just a link I found while doing a relatively unrelated yahoo search the other day.  In short, I find most clans to be too micromanaged to be any fun.  I prefer either independant characters or clans with little to no direct staff interaction.  I'd like to see clans setup to center around the players and helping to assist them in driving their own plots and achieve their own goals, rather than setup to be a constant reminder that you are but one tiny spoke in the grand scheme of things.  I would also like to see more excitement in clans rather than restricting them to socializing and scheming over ideas that will likely never come to fruition.

So without further ado, here's that link.  Enjoy.

http://www.armageddon.org/hn/general/200-body.html

wtf does that link have to do with anything?

It's wrong, proven by reality.

QuoteBut, as the mud becomes more and more narrow-focused, the playerbase is going to get smaller and smaller as more players get ostracized. Unfortunate, yes, but that's life. Hopefully this is what the imms and RP purists wanted.

BAM! WRONG. The mud playerbase has gotten bigger. Sorry, buddy.

Quote from: "Lazloth"
Quote from: "Bestatte"If a highly respected, high-ranking Tor guard, friend to the city, yada yada yada is guarding his noble, and some cretin comes up and threatens the noble, it is the Tor guard who'll end up in jail if he initiates combat to get rid of the cretin.
Prestige doesn't necesasrily protect from arrest:  Ken Lay went to jail.  Martha Stewart, Oliver Stone, Whitney Houston.  Ad infinitum.

I think that most militia would give the Noble House guard the benefit of the doubt for the moment, and chase them down later if the templarate decide to pursue the matter.

What I think might work would be an opportunity for the noble to temporarily suspend crim-flagging for those belonging to his or her clan in the currently occupied room. That would ensure guards didn't have free licence to beat on any random stranger on their own accord, but would be able to take preemptive action to protect their noble if necessary.

Quirk
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

Quote from: "Xygax"
QuoteCompletely off the subject, a discusssion was initiated (by myself, I admit it) that independents have too much power.
I disagree, and tend to think that independent hunters/guards/etc. face a relatively difficult life, if they're being RPed properly....  if you're finding that your life is too easy, it's highly possible that you are spam-crafting, killing everything in site, or stealing furniture you wouldn't otherwise be able to carry, much less secrete (these are just examples, of course).

I felt it could use repeating.

Quote from: "Pantoufle"I will simply throw this link out here, which pretty much sums up exactly how I feel.  I'm not sure who wrote it,

Nobody knows who wrote it was an anonymous poster!  However, here is the link that puts it in context:

http://www.armageddon.org/HyperNews/get/general-archive1999/258.html

With luck I've beaten Lazloth the link King to this one!

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

i) I dislike that many independents are not willing to consider a job that ICly would be very cushy and prestigious.

ii) I dislike that many jobs that ICly should be very cushy and prestigious are in fact, from an OOC standpoint, hellishly dull.

I have played a PC leader.  I have played a clannie that has no leaders.  In both, I had fun.

My biggest beef was that while in a clan, my subordinates bitched that I never gave them anything to do...but they never told me what was going on, so I had nothing for them to do.  Think on that, those of you who say it is boring.  If you want the PC leader to include you, include him/her.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

First of all, never feel obligated (about anything), no matter what clan you are (or aren't) in.  Always remember that as the player of your character, you are in complete control of his emotions and personality at all times.  People change, and you aren't going to lose karma for doing so.  Also, don't feel obligated to join clans just to help out the mud.  If the players are bored, that doesn't help anyone.
That point, however, goes for everyone, including clan leaders.  If you are a subordinate, you can't expect excitement to be delivered to you personally at all times.  This isn't communism.  From each according to his ability, to each according to his ability.

What I'm saying is this:  no matter what your role is, you have to make your own fun.  If you think you aren't getting involved in enough plots, that probably means you haven't been getting yourself involved in enough plots.  If you're willing to hatch a feasible caper, you will be assisted in any way required.  No noble would care that a couple of her guards happen to have a bit of friction.  Don't start stabbing, though, or you will be stopped, ICly.  This is an IC game, so if your idea of a plot is killing most of your fellow subordinates without repercussions, then you're probably in the wrong clan.