Some thoughts about independent things

Started by CrafterWoman, July 20, 2004, 09:33:36 AM

Quote from: "Anonymous"AC:

Actually in Zalanthas, i could actually see most poeple have at least two jobs, i would think the pay for most is pretty crappy.  The jobs of some PCs are sometimes covers for other sneaky stuff they do.  While a tailor can make some sid off of what they do, they would probably still do other merchantile things.  Also for the indepentent tailor, life would be extra hard...most wear armour, others buy kadius, and a large portion are so poor they are half naked.  Unless you have a job with the houses, i would think having a person having one job is the exception not the norm, IM(humble)O.

Oh, I agree that independants often  have to scratch a living from multiple sources.  You might be a tailor, but when money is really tight you grab your glasshacker, salt sack, or lumber axe and do some manual labour to get you through.  Or you might be traveling between Tuluk and Allanak for some other reason, but do a trade a few obsidian blades for wood, since you are there anyway.  Many independants do a little hunting, in addition to something else.  But we weren't talking about independants.

Quote from: "Dresan"
     The answer to your problem is most people will be clanned, doing their sneaky or other money making venture on the side.   Everyone would (or should) have other souces of revenue.

Clanned people having another job on the side is odd.  For the most part Clans jobs are supposed to be good jobs, jobs that give you a better life.  For the vast majority of people a good job is one that you can raise a family on.  So as an employee of a wealthy noble or merchant house you should either be making enough money to rent a place to keep your children, or the house provides access to living quarters where your children can stay, possibly for a redection in pay.  Usually a job that makes it possible to raise a family will make a single person with no dependants quite comfortable.

Most PCs are odd in that they have no dependants: no children, siblings, parents or grandparents depending on them.  But most of the virtual population will have dependants, and need enough resources to provide for them.  So our dependentless PCs are a little better off than the average person.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

How can you make 200-800 coins for killing one single animal?

Pantoufle, I said 100-400 from killing an animal, the 200-800 was how much a crafter can make on 1 item.

Somebody else, Dresan I think also commented how this is a large sum of money and all, yes, it is, but it is also an amount that an ADVANCED hunter or crafter can make easily, starting out, you cannot, hell, a starting hunter is lucky to make 50 sid in an IC day, that barely covers water. I see more starting hunters kill everything in sight then old ones, why, old ones don't need too. Instead they can instruct other pc's, start businesses, employ people and so much more.

Now, keep in mind, sure, that indy hunter might be making tons, but he also takes more risks and has a lesser life expectancy then clanned pc's. The unexpected does happen on zalanthas, and normaly unclanned pc's have no safety net.

I don't see why people complain though, why should a hunter or crafter who has paid his/her dues, made it through the hard times and all that not be able to become wealthy and maybe sit back in the sanc and do nothing but drink for the rest of his life, or whatever, enjoy the fruits of his labers, it is what everybody else wants, regardless. Shrug.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

QuoteI don't see why people complain though, why should a hunter or crafter who has paid his/her dues, made it through the hard times and all that not be able to become wealthy and maybe sit back in the sanc and do nothing but drink for the rest of his life, or whatever, enjoy the fruits of his labers, it is what everybody else wants, regardless. Shrug.

Amen.
esert city bug, sitting above your head...

Ok, I've been gone for a while, and missed the whole discussion, which means I haven't read anything past the first post....

Anyway, 2 things I say would help:

1. Describe how good pc to pc bartering is....I mean seriously, a thing that costs 10 sid, could be sold to a noble for 500 sid.

2.cut back on the amount of each item an NPC can hold.
When you have bulk stuff that you've got to sell to get money, wish up to get an imm to take over the specific NPC and barter with you...it's more fun, and it's easier to get good deals on things.
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict