Commoners and Money

Started by Krath, July 19, 2004, 10:53:56 AM

Evil critters seem to have no problem finding me 7DV.

I think the desert is fine as is.

You're adventuring. I mean that the Roads should be dangerous too. I remember when the gortok roamed the roads near Tuluk. Now -there- were some tense moment. I liked that. I miss that.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Sometimes I wonder if I am playing the same "Armageddon" as many of of the GHB posters are playing.  Yes, I once took a brand new character and relocated from Tuluk to Allanak.  Poor riding skill and all. it was exciting and great fun, and I saw, ran from and otherwise avoided many breasts and even saw a PC or two.  If your "Armageddon" isn't harsh enough or you're too rich or whatever, come on over to my "Armageddon," I got all the harshness I can stand and never seem to have enough sids.  My "Armageddon" also has intrigues, plots, jobs and all kinds of interactions with clans, independants and too many other things to talk about.  You hvae to love a game that can be so many different things to many different people.
I'd rather be lucky than good.

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"You're adventuring. I mean that the Roads should be dangerous too. I remember when the gortok roamed the roads near Tuluk. Now -there- were some tense moment. I liked that. I miss that.

You are correct, but think back a bit.

I remember when the gortok roamed the North Road. What happened? Everyone went out and hunted them. They slaughtered them, left mangled parts everywhere. Nothing was used for sustenance. Meat, hide, or bone. Everything was left in their act of carnage.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. The gortok were overhunted, therefore they retreated deeper into the scrub. This is not the staff's fault, trying to make the game easier. This is the fault of players overhunting, simply. (And players whom were "protecting" Gol Krathu from invading dogs.)

Quote from: "Cowboy"avoided many breasts and even saw a PC or two.
Well, since you were avoiding breasts, I'm sure you didn't get any mudsex from these PCs, unless your character was a bit swishy.  :twisted:

Still, I gotta agree with V.  A friend of mine played the game for a while before he got too busy in RL.  He played a merchant...that rode a kank anywhere he wanted in the world.  People thought he was a mercenary.  Oh no, he was a merchant/nomad.  Never got jumped once and knew the way from Allanak to Luir's to Tuluk and back like the back of his hand.  It was ridiculous.  If you ask me, we should have more predators out there...with fewer skinnables from them, as leaving that alone would further flood the market with animal pieces.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"If you ask me, we should have more predators out there...with fewer skinnables from them, as leaving that alone would further flood the market with animal pieces.

Just don't change Red Storm.  I lost one of my best statted PC's ever there running from a train of beetles, siltflyers, scrab and spiders (some hopped off along the way while others hopped on)  into the pitch black where a silt horror got me.  Last I knew it had gotten toned down a little.  Please don't slap another half dozen whatchamacallits back there.

Quote from: "CRW"
Quote from: "spawnloser"If you ask me, we should have more predators out there...with fewer skinnables from them, as leaving that alone would further flood the market with animal pieces.

Just don't change Red Storm.  I lost one of my best statted PC's ever there running from a train of beetles, siltflyers, scrab and spiders (some hopped off along the way while others hopped on)  into the pitch black where a silt horror got me.  Last I knew it had gotten toned down a little.  Please don't slap another half dozen whatchamacallits back there.

Red Storm has always been incredibly visious. I like the way it is now, I think. But my irritation has not been with Red Storm and its enviro. It has been with Tuluk and Allanak. My main concern is not one of seeing the world become an H&S trip from point to point, but rather, an enviro that strongly encourages clan membership. Not just coded clan, but groups of PCs.

For this to happen, not only does the enviro need to be adjusted to a good blanace, but also, clans have got to be reformatted to provide the PC entertainment. Good leaders must be chosen, good tasks assigned, fun. In short, the entire thing is about fun. S'why it's called a game.

Make players want to be in a clan, and ssuddenly, you have a whole new ballgame.

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"Make players want to be in a clan, and ssuddenly, you have a whole new ballgame.

Forgive me for this Venomz.

In a recent poll (done by yours truly because he was curious) 51 out of 66 respondants stated they are in a clan.

Since that makes 77% of those responding in clans one has to assume that players already want to be in clans.  After all, no one forces them to join.  Since they are joining that means people like clans.

A minority may not like clans and that is fine.  It is always good to have a balance.

No forgiveness nessessary.

I don't believe that everyone who plays this game reads the GBD. In fact, the ones most likely to read the GBD are those who wish to check their clan forums for information and RPTs.

Additionally, I never said that there were more independants than clanned PCs.

And thirdly, I am not annoyed by those who wish to be independants. They put the twist in the game, by all means. I simply wish to see House jobs become more desirable. Thus, I am presenting ways to acheive that.

One might look upon the current situation and realize that some folks join Houses because they don't have the time they need to play an independant. ANd yet how many of these folks you polled have something bad to say about their house, their clan?

Maybe I should say it this way: I want to make clans more enjoyable and prestigous. I do not want to do away with the loners and independants. I wish this game was more friendly to them without losing it's harshness. But a CLAN JOB SHOULD BE SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO BOTH ICLY AND OOCLY! Maybe that's what I am trying to say.

Quote from: "Forest Junkie"
I remember when the gortok roamed the North Road. What happened? Everyone went out and hunted them. They slaughtered them, left mangled parts everywhere. Nothing was used for sustenance. Meat, hide, or bone. Everything was left in their act of carnage.

From help gortok:
QuoteThese fierce canines roam the Northands in packs, creating a decided danger for unwary travelers. Their howling echoes through the Grey Forest. Their hides are generally considered worthless, and hence they are despised by most.

Gortoks are a bit like Earth coyotes.  You don't hunt them for meat or sustenance, you hunt them when there are too many and they need to be 'cleaned out'.  I don't think the PCs were acting unrealistically by simply slaughtering the things and leaving them to rot.

QuoteYou're adventuring. I mean that the Roads should be dangerous too. I remember when the gortok roamed the roads near Tuluk. Now -there- were some tense moment. I liked that. I miss that.

Yeah, I remember when you had to be in fear of that big motherfucking pack of 'toks mobbing you on the roads...same with tembo...not packs of them, but you used to see them alot more near the roadways.
I think the south needed toning down a bit and I think they did just fine with it...but I think the north should've been left alone.
Used to see alot more critters along the roads period.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

From help gortok:
QuoteThese fierce canines roam the Northands in packs, creating a decided danger for unwary travelers. Their howling echoes through the Grey Forest. Their hides are generally considered worthless, and hence they are despised by most.

Quote from: "jstorrie"Gortoks are a bit like Earth coyotes.  You don't hunt them for meat or sustenance, you hunt them when there are too many and they need to be 'cleaned out'.  I don't think the PCs were acting unrealistically by simply slaughtering the things and leaving them to rot.

*Shrug*

I don't think the players were acting all that unrealistically either. That doesn't change the fact that they overhunted the gortok. Hence, the population was lowered to reflect this IC action.

I merely say don't blame the staff for making it too easy. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

And yes, my nasty ass -does- eat those doggies. A bit tough and stringy, but good. ;)

I'd like to see an economy where the basics are affordable and luxury is expensive.  I believe, if they want to, almost all PCs should be able to afford decent housing, food, clothing, and water.  Just because the majority of Zalanthas is poor, doesn't mean that PCs should be forced to being poor.  By offering the basics affordable PCs will have more of their starting money to use to build up skills to a point they can actually turn a profit if they want.  I believe having enough starting money will provide a way for more PCs to become independent if they wish, giving them enough time to build their skills into profitable business, as well as not frighten off so many new players.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>