Started by Spud, July 17, 2004, 03:53:32 PM

Jumping: good idea or bad?

Good idea
5 (16.1%)
Bad idea
26 (83.9%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: July 17, 2004, 03:53:32 PM

So, what do you all think? Would it be a good or bad idea if people could jump? I know it could be emoted be it could be another way to attack someone. Like bash, but instead of knocking the person down, you are driving your weight onto them and do more damage. Personally, I think it would be a good iead, it could be used as a combination with other commands or just by itself.
Ex. jump kick
You jump and kick the giant, silver skinned man
Ex. jump hit
You jump and hit at the giant, silver skinned man
Whatcha think?
Quote from: Saikun
I can tell you for sure it won't be tonight. So no point in poking at it all night long. I'd suggest sleep, or failing that, take to the streets and wreak havoc.

I think your spirit is in the right place, and it's an interesting idea.

I believe, however that it won't contribute anything to the game, for two reasons:  unrealism and twinkishness.

As far as realism goes, jump attacks are rarely as effective as conventional attacks.  A precursory study of martial arts will indicate that jump attacks are usually reserved for master practicioners, who will only use them in special circumstances.  In these circumstances, they're not using them because they're more powerful, but because they wish to confuse their opponent or have some special need (ie, kicking a much taller person in the head.)

Another problem is that I've always recommended against making the fight system any more complicated than it already is, because this is not a fighting game and a complicated fighting system will only encourage twinks and discourage serious role-players.

However, your idea is somewhat cool, so if you want to play your character as someone who has developed a jump-attack-technique that he uses against his enemies, and you want to emote doing this, I personally see nothing wrong with it and think it's kind of cool.  

Nice idea, though.
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

Not so much a bad idea as one that's only been half thought out.
Back from a long retirement

I've always seen a completely different use for a 'jump' command.  But it would require excessive work to become practical.

I always wanted an extensive system of rooftops and such to be added to cities, Allanak in particular.  The 'jumping' part would be a command try to leap from roof to roof.  More dependent on strength, agility, and the climb skill than anything else.

Rooftop assaults on the streets below would kick ass.  Anyone who could effectively shadow someone from a rooftop would be a badass motherfucker.  Yeah.

I don't feel we need another combat command, though.  Basically...what you're wanting is another kick skill, right?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Sorry to derail but I think Armaddicts idea is fucking awsome. I've always had this awsome idea of cornering several templars or a group of enemies between buildings and just fighting with arrows and what not from the roofs. Its completely feasible as it is a military tactic that can and is used during urban operations. However, I think something should be added to where if you have arrows that you could be able to shoot them upward at your opponents that are occupying the roof to even the fight up.
ocking a fake scream, the badass scorpion exclaims to you, in
sirihish:
"Ah! Scorpions! I pissed my Wyvern trousers! Ah!"

There is a jump command in game.

Or there was...  If only some creative immortal would implement it more into the rooftops.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Oops. I clicked yes, before reading the rest of why the 'jump' might be useful. For combat, nah. I like the combat system. While not complicated, there's things that can happen that still make it interesting. Bashing, emoting, etc. I've played one that was even less complex, you just type hit baddie, and because I know I can beat baddie with my full hp, I can walk away from the comp, go get my pop from the fridge, and come back, and it'll be dead. In that game, hp could be quickly generated by eating. So, you eat steak, move to the next baddie in the next room (they don't move around there, either), do it again.

On the other hand, I've played games with overly complex systems. Now, part of it wasn't bad. Before engaging in sword or fist fighting, you had to engage the person and advance on them. You advance from far, to ranged, to melee. Ranged, you could hit them with spears or staffs, but be out of the reach of fists or swords. The furthest, was good for arrow shooting, which didn't work at a closer range. It might add a little more realism to someone entering the same room and immediately engaging in combat when you're in the middle of an expanse of sanddunes. The irritating part came when you had to type out what you were doing, each round. Swords. Slash, stab, parry, thrust, feint.. Every turn. You couldn't take MORE than one turn before the other combatant went, but if you had a sneezing fit, you'd have missed five rounds where you stood there like a dope while getting the shit beat outta you. It kept people from taking advantage of knowing they could kick the baddies ass and just walk off, but still had downsides. Especially when I sprained my wrist and could only type with one hand.

Anyway.. As far as what I 'thought' the jump was.. I was thinking more along the lines of rooftop things as well. Perhaps you're being persued along a rooftop. Running, running.. And they're still coming. Options. Turn around and fight.. Or jump off the roof. In essence it'd work like the climb, only maybe allow you to exit the edge of the rooftop where there's no place to actually climb up and down. And, it'd have the possibility of success or fail. Successful jump, you land on your feet, no hp or stun.. Or maybe some still, it might be a big jump, and keep running. Failed, same as a failed climb. *splat* Now, of course.. It'd vary. Someone jumping from a roof.. And someone jumping off the shield wall. Uh uh. I do like the idea of the rooftop chasing and leaping, though.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

Only if you're a level 3 dragoon.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

You need to read the room Descriptions of those roads. They aren't hoppable. For the most part. Jump off? Just walk off the roof.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I guess "Climb" check is used instead of jump, since in some rooms characters must use climb to move along to next room, else falls down.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT