Started by Forest Junkie, July 12, 2004, 11:41:55 PM

Lower regen rate or not?

Yes! (Reasons)
14 (45.2%)
No! (Reasons)
17 (54.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: July 12, 2004, 11:41:55 PM

Could we -please- lower the regen rate of animals?

If you sap a critter, they regen SO fast that by the time lag wears off (usually five-ten seconds) they are already awake!

Not to mention hp and mvs regen. It's annoying, really, and after awhile can become more than a bit annoying.

*shrug* What do you think?

Most animals, despite the very small, are much larger then most humans. Im not sure they'd respond to being 'sapped' in the same manner either. Their skulls are different, anatomy, etc. They may have quite a bit more going on then is apparent on the outside. Also, for the most part animals regen very slowly, and I've not really noticed a problem (in terms of hp, stamina, etc.) Also take into account they are usually very adapted to their environment.

Having tested a scenario with sap, there is really no problem. You may be equating sap with having 0 stun (like when you use the Way) which is entirely different.

If you continue to have problems, and feel its a bug, you can go ahead and mail the Mud, but for the most part there is nothing wrong with creatures and their regenative abilities.

Myself, I'd like to see some critters regens upped for some things, like moves.  I can regen to full move playing someone with a crappy endurance sometimes before my mount.  However, as far as other things, I'd think that some creatures would, similar to how Gilvar said would react differently, NOT be able to be sapped at all due to the different anatomies.  Sap a kank, seriously...they have a chitinous shell and tiny brain.  How the hell are you going to cause the trauma necessary to knock it out in one hit.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I would have to agree with spawnloser to some extent.  I once played a non-city type, and I can say that with the regen rate for kanks, it can take forever for them to get their moves back.  Granted, I probably shouldn't have let my kank get that exhausted, but I was resting in a cave for like 2 in-game days (that's three hours real time) for my kank to get from completely exhausted to (I think) not tired.  Considering most city types put the kank in the stable at dusk, and its fully refreshed by dawn.
Now this was like three years ago, so things may have changed, and I may not be completely accurate, but it definately took a Long Time (TM) to rest my kank completely.
Vettrock

Vettrok,
Your kank might have had a really bad regen rate then.
Yesterday my kank got completely exhausted, and it only took half an IC day to regen fully.
As for the thread:
I have heard of pc's get knocked out and pop back to life right after getting Ko'ed.
Just depends on their stat for it I guess.
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

Your kanks have more MV unless it's been recently changed.

You don't see the exact number of MV on other animals.

Your characters likely don't have anywhere near as much MV.

Hence, your characters can go from 0-100% faster than a kank.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

I understand your argument, but there is a difference between the regen rates of kanks and aggro critters.

A kank, in the shade, takes around ten minutes to fully regen.

A raptor can track a hunter across the known world, and regen his mvs each time he hunts, thereby giving it infinite movement points so that it will never run out until its prey is found. (At least, thats how it seems in the cases I've witnessed)

Does sap have a non-city equivalent?

Quote from: "MSM"Does sap have a non-city equivalent?

Absolutely. It's called sap.

Quote from: "Forest Junkie"
Quote from: "MSM"Does sap have a non-city equivalent?

Absolutely. It's called sap.

ROFL
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Quote from: "Forest Junkie"
A kank, in the shade, takes around ten minutes to fully regen.

This was in a cave (dark and out of the sun at the time) and Although I'm not 100% certain, how long it took, (it was a long time ago)  I took at least an hour, and not 10 minutes, but like I said things may have changed.
Vettrock

My experience says that a kank needs to rest an IC day to fully rest.. Maybe a bit less, related to the resting location.. When compared to Stable rest, this is far low from that.. A small change would be a neat addition for hunters with kanks..

I think NPC regeneration rate should be slightly decreased, or at least the way they regenerate.. I see that most of them can heal themselves while standing altough they are badly wounded... I would like to see resting NPC's to gain HP and MV...
"A few warriors dare to challange me, if so one fewer."
---------------------------
"Train yourself to let go everything you fear to lose." Master Yoda
---------------------------
"A warrior does not let a friend face danger alone." Lt. Worf

This is a little off subject, but I felt it better than making a new post.

If possible I think that there should be a curve on how quickly stamina is regened.  I think that when any creature is tired it could regen stamina quickly, but as the % nears 100% it get goes up slower and slower.  I find myself, often times, never feeling anywhere close to 100% in real life.  It usually takes a long time to get back to tip-top shape, but a quick nap or a short rest can give me enough to keep going.

I also think that below 20% stamina should be regened by standing.  60% sitting  80% resting and 100% sleeping.  Something like this...but you shouldn't have to sit to regen energy.  Because obviously the npc animals don't.  They are like when an active  person runs.  They can catch their breath just by slowing down before raising the throttle again.

This also leads into other things....almost like two types of stamina.  The ability to do work, and the ability to recover.  After regenerating so much stamina you need to rest heavily, or sleep.  Anyway, these are just my ideas.

It makes sense that kanks regen faster in stables than in the wild, because in the stable they have food, water and shelter all at the same time.  In the wild most of the places that have shelter do not have food and water.  Places that have wild food (grass and shrubs) usually are not indoors, the best you can hope for is a little shade.  Places with wild water are obviously very rare.  So it isn't implausible that a kank will be more rested after a couple hours in a stable than he would after a couple hours resting in a cave or on open scrubland.

While I agree regen could be faster, I think at least half the problem is people over-walking their kanks.  You can travel accross the known world in an unreasonable amount of time, for the sake of convinence.  If kanks regened faster people would travel at even more absurd speeds.  The solution is to rest you kank when he looks a little tired, if he gets to very tired, exhausted or totally exhasted you are abusing your mount, and only a fool abuses the tool that is his only way to get home safely. (By abuse I mean animal abuse, not code abuse.)  If your kank is only a little tired he will regen fairly quickly.  It takes less time to regen 100 stamina than it does to regen 500.

Think about riding a horse.  Do you run a horse until it drops from exhaustion?  Not if you want to be able to ride it again tommorrow.  When you rest the horse, do you leave 100 pounds of baggage tied to it?  Probably not, I'm not a horse expert but my impression is that you unpack them and give 'em a rub down before resting them.  So maybe unpacking the kank will help it regen faster.  I don't actually know if the code takes encumberance into accout when regenerating stamina, but I seem to regen faster if I take off my pack, so maybe the kank does too.  Naturally unpacking  both your kank and yourself is a little dangerous since there is always the danger of a crash causing things dropped on the ground to disappear.  If it's not one thing it's another.

Anyway, in my experience treating a mount the way I would realistically treat a real animal usually keeps the regen time reasonable.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"Anyway, in my experience treating a mount the way I would realistically treat a real animal usually keeps the regen time reasonable.

Yep. Same here.

Quote from: "Carnage"Your kanks have more MV unless it's been recently changed.

You don't see the exact number of MV on other animals.

Your characters likely don't have anywhere near as much MV.

Hence, your characters can go from 0-100% faster than a kank.
Yes, Carnage...they have more HP because they have a higher endurance.  They should also regen faster, having this higher endurance.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.