Crime in Tuluk

Started by blacksheep, June 16, 2004, 10:58:07 PM

Why is it so much harder to be a criminal in Tuluk? In Allanak there are whole crime rings set up in the Labyrinth, is there any reason why there isn't one in Tuluk? Is it because the players themselves haven't bothered to get some criminal activities going?

You're probably right, or you're not....

It could be they're so secret you don't even know them

or it could be that you're right and there are none.

Either way, Tuluk has so much to experience when you -don't- play as a slave to some thieflord.  Tuluk is like living in fresh green, interesting land with lots of things to do; whereas allanak is more, we can't go hunting, the scrab took over, plus there's more people in the city to RP with than out, so why not stay in an find something interesting to do.
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

I've tried numerous times to cause crime and destruction in the white city.

But it just didn't happen on numerous occasions, mainly because the playerbase isn't receptive to it.

There are still people that think that Tuluk is the land of peace and happiness, unfortunately.

http://www.armageddon.org/general/tuluki_rp.html#legal
QuoteThieves and assassins (by trade, not coded guild) are required to register with a member of the Lirathan Order prior to conducting theft or an assassination. The Lirathan templar records this information in the License Registry: the individual's name, description, organization (if any), legal occupation (if any), thief or assassin, the recording templar's name and the record date. (For example: "Jonah, a tall human male with blue eyes and brown hair, knife-maker of House Salarr, registers as assassin, recorded by Lady Janis, 168th day of the Descending Sun, year 59 of the 20th Age.")

A thief is charged a one-time registration fee of 300 obsidian. Registered thieves are still expected to operate with enough wisdom and skill not to get caught; after all, this law is a rebirth of the appreciation of high expertise in Old Tuluk. If a registered thief is caught, however, she may be let off with a warning, or receive a lessened penalty, at the templar's discretion (conscientious PC templars may wish to make this clear to the thief). Needless to say, registered thieves may also receive paying jobs from the templarate.

An assassin registers for free, but must purchase a separate "license" for each assassination. A license is not a tangible object, but rather a pledge from the templarate not to act on the findings of an investigation - provided the crime has been committed as recorded, and executed with skill and discretion.

In other words, Gilvar the great is saying THERE IS AN OPEN INVITATION TO THIEVES, KILLERS, THUGS, SNEAKY DEAKY TYPES, OR ANY OTHER SORT OF UBER MOTHER FUCKERS OUT THERE WHO WOULD LIKE TO START SHADOWY SHIT IN TULUK.

*notch another reason for why Gilvar is da imm who knows his shit*

There is lots of crime in Tuluk. You just need to find it. And people have the attitude of not reporting them because they suspect them to have license. You make a evil char and go to the right place and you will meet em.

As I have said before: Just because you don't see something going on, does not mean that it isn't.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Even if it is going on, you have to admit that it's a lot more difficult to be a sneaky type in Tuluk, especially an independent one, if only because of the initial outlay of 'sid.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Tuluk is -so- more eviler and backstabby and thievery than 'Nak. Nak is wimpy, except for the Rinth. Which rocks.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I remember one of my past Merchant Characters up in the ivory was forced to register as a theif.. good times.. good times.  :twisted:
uppers.

Speaking as someone who would know first hand...Tuluk is a shady place...almost disturbing at times.

The only thing shady about Tuluk is the trees! Just kidding, it's all based on what you want to do and how you want to do it. In 'nak I percieve more of the crime to be getting by crimes, stealing for your family, stealing a meal for yourself, and shit like that. But in Tuluk.. well that's a whole different story. My advice to you, is to try it out and see for yourself. Pop a few beers, hop ig, and start backstabbing your way through the ivory!
ere it comes..

In Allanak: Crime is largely due to desperation and/or corruption.

In Tuluk: Crime is, by and large, an artform to those who are licensed and perform it.

People really don't seem to get the licensing system:

It's not a punishment or a brand, though if you're caught without one you will be forced to get one. It's basically a license to be a criminal, and a promise to be an artful criminal and not get caught. It could net you jobs, though I remember that finding a licensed thief with the patience to actually develop the idea of theft as an artform was incredibly rare if not nonexistant, and therefore it was difficult to actually hire out thieves for dirty jobs.

A license is not a 'get out of jail free' card. If you fuck up, soldiers will arrest you, as they should. No one should know you're licensed save for you and the templarate and possibly some very trusted friends. Soldiers won't know you're licensed, nor would they care if you are: you broke the law AND you got caught, so you serve your time.

Anyone who has grown up with Tuluk's laws and society would probably have a basic grasp of that.

Plus, crime does not have to mean only 'steal item person'. Be creative.

In my personal opinion. If you catch someone stealing something and you know who it was, report it. Thievery is an artform, and in my opinion (and are not necessarily those of the rest of the staff), part of the artform is not getting caught. If you're getting caught you're a poor artist and nothing better then one of those Allanaki thieves.

In my opinion.

What Ammit said, yeah. ;)