That's him!! That's the one!!

Started by Anonymous, June 15, 2004, 07:48:47 PM

For some people new to the game:
If you're in a tavern and you feel a hand in your pocket, don't just look around and suddenly accuse the one person who's not sitting down. The tavern is full of NPCs, and just because you OOCly know that it's that person, it would be unrealistic ICly to pick him out of a room of people.

Guessing you stole from a newb who knew not the right way to deal with it eh?..  :wink:
uppers.

Bah, I feel a hand in my pocket I'm blaming the nearest pc elf, if none in sight then the nearest pc, unless considered friend, if none in sight then npc's.

Sorta funny that people complain about somebody blaming the standing -pc- considering it is a roleplaying game and npc's should be called nrpc's (nonroleplaying chars). Me, I'm going for the one that will do something and is controled by an at least semi-intelligent human without having to wish up and wait.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

better yet,
maybe he caught you with your hands in their pocket?
But I share X-d's opinion
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

And the npcs are there all the time (codedly), which, to me, means they hang out there a lot.. or something of the sort.. why all of a sudden will they start stealing from you?..

Why not vnpcs eh?.
uppers.

I will back up the poster on one thing...the actual thief may have been hidden, so an innocent bystander may be getting accused in this situation.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"I will back up the poster on one thing...the actual thief may have been hidden, so an innocent bystander may be getting accused in this situation.

So?  That's neat.

Heheh.  I know.  I'm just pointing something out that someone may have overlooked.  I know a player that was CONVINCED that this particular person once tried to steal from them...without the mud telling them this person had tried, just got a hand in the character's pocket.  The accused, would have had to be retarded to try, not having had the steal skill.

I'm not saying accusing random person is inherantly wrong, I'm just saying you might be when you do.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

As a general rule...

If something is stolen from you on any major road within a city by a PC and you fail to catch the hand in your belongings, just let it go.  I'd say that is thief victim etiquette.  There are just too many people traveling those roads, many of them cloaked - as I'm sure any PC thieves will be - and you just wouldn't be able to discern one from another...speaking of course from the point of view of the character and not from your own OOC knowledge.  When something is stolen in a major public place, act out your frustration in character...but just tell yourself calmly that you shouldn't make an elaborate attempt at trying to recover your lost item.  Just let it go and be thankful that thiefs and criminal sorts exist to add that much flavor to the game.

On the side...if your character is truthfully some one who would hunt down the lost item(or if the item is THAT valuable) then by all means...but I would say its poor play to ever find the thief in your attempt if hes already moved a zone away from you after having stolen your item with a complete success, meaning you didn't detect it in terms of the code.  If you see that person wielding your item or flaunting it...then you can be suspicious, yes.  Otherwise let it go.  This is Zalanthas after all...better your coin pouch than your life, aye?

Good post Galdun. I agree on most points.

Eh, noone stole from me lately. The code used to call some soldiers in, enabling some funny RP as you whine to the NPC soldiers. I guess/hope it's still enabled. Just shout "Thief!! Thief!!" like the NPC's did. Err, it could be an alternative way to RP out the situation. It used to be funny, even I had had a fine session with the OOC-suspected thief, as he was the only visible PC in the tavern to react to the situation.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Hehe...yes.  I saw this guy accuse someone out of the blue of stealing his pants.

Now that was funny.  Especially since he had no pants.

Quote from: "Anonymous"For some people new to the game:
If you're in a tavern and you feel a hand in your pocket, don't just look around and suddenly accuse the one person who's not sitting down. The tavern is full of NPCs, and just because you OOCly know that it's that person, it would be unrealistic ICly to pick him out of a room of people.

Honestly, whyever not?

Blame anyone and everyone you wish - it's your decision.  If the thief is actually accused well that thief sucks and deserves to be accused.

Quote from: "Tarx04"Hehe...yes.  I saw this guy accuse someone out of the blue of stealing his pants.

Now that was funny.  Especially since he had no pants.
I saw someone accuse...noone, but simply get all raged out of his head about that once.  THAT was funny.