Isilt

Started by jstorrie, June 14, 2004, 03:17:22 PM

from help_isilt:

Isilt, made of bone that has been treated with heavy oil and exposed to a process that allows it to harden to a substance that is hard, durable, and aesthetically pleasing, is used rarely in building, more commonly in jewelry, small weapons, and objets d'art. Because it is a northern technology, it is rarely seen in the southlands, and accordingly more expensive when encountered there.

From what I understand, isilt is bone treated in such a manner that it becomes stronger and awesome-lookinger.  Why, then, do I never see any isilt weapons or armor?  Is isilt a suitable material for either?

I have seen isilt weapons before, so those at least exist.

Dunno about armor though.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

What are objets d'art?
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Artsy trinkets.

There is a shop in Tuluk that sells isilt jewelry and weapons (and possibly a small piece of armor or two, I forget).  It's not easy to find, although it's not hidden, either.  I don't think that its location is meant to be a secret, but I don't want to risk giving it away just in case it is.

Anyway, just look around where you'd expect something like that to be sold, but look a little more carefully.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I'm asking specifically because I'd like to know the properties of isilt, not where to buy it.  I don't want to write up any items that are implausible, after all.

It's fairly expensive even in the North, if I recall.  I could envision a bracer or a collar made of it but not a breastplate.  Unless it was on a noble's whim and they commissioned it from a merchant house.
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Uhm, they have -roads- made out of the stuff.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Then they either need to fix the helpfile or adjust the prices in that shop.

Isilt is not the same thing as silt.

- X

For those that haven't done this yet:

Quote from: "help isilt"ISILT                                                  (Culture)

Isilt, made of bone that has been treated with heavy oil
and exposed to a process that allows it to harden to a substance
that is hard, durable, and aesthetically pleasing, is used
rarely in building, more commonly in jewelry, small weapons,
and objets d'art.  Because it is a northern technology, it is
rarely seen in the southlands, and accordingly more expensive
when encountered there.

small weapons

If anyone wants to write up some very fancy (expensive) weapons using isilt and send them in to me, I'd be happy to implement them. Keep in mind that the process would probably only be good for small knives, daggers, dirks, darts, and things of that nature.

gilvar@armageddon.org

Quote from: "crymerci"Then they either need to fix the helpfile or adjust the prices in that shop.

The prices in a shop do not necessarily come from the material that they are made from alone, but a combination of material, craftsmanship, and purpose.
ssues are issues.  People are people.  Issues should be addressed, people should be loved. - John W. Frye

I think the primary question which comes to mind is this. Is isilt too expensive for use on a grander scale, such as swords and hammerheads, spear-tips, amor, and the like?
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Probably for a commoner. Its value comes from its appealing look, combined with its increased hardness. For the cost, I think a typical commoner would choose to just use a bone sword, as probably a handful of bone swords would still be cheaper then an isilt one. But if a northern noble wants to look flashy and show that he has money, he may buy an isilt belt-knife, or something of the like. Maybe a sword. There is plenty of bone and plenty of animal fat, so it could be done, just would be expensive and not common.

Heh. I meant to say flimsy, not expensive.

Isilt is harder then untreated bone, so it would be much better. Not flimsy.

In short, then, writing up items of isilt is completely valid for any item that might usually be of bone, wood or stone. However, note that it will be very expensive and may not be put in at all if it is more than an item of jewlery, a small weapon, or some other such small thing, as such a thing of expense is generally too expensive for the market. The larger items would only be used in the case of a special order, or some signifigant occurance.

Adding items to the database does not nesecessarily mean they will be put in a widely available market in the commons. By asking for fancy and expensive items, its pretty much a given that they will be a little rare.

Larger items your correct on, which is why Im not asking for large ones.

That's the information I was looking for.  Thanks, everyone.