Why? Why do you do this?

Started by Callisto, June 14, 2004, 12:45:39 AM

Quote from: "Trenidor"
Quote from: "sarahjc"
People look at cloaked people because they want to know who you are or why you are looking all suspect like.

Exactly, now tell us why people think we look like a suspect....

I believe that's what this whole topic is about.

Does anyone feel a Catch 22 comming on.. *sigh*

People look at you because you have your hood up and think you are shady, but since your face cannot be seen under your hood, they should not bother to look. But they look because they cannot see your face.  Right???

Wrong...

The look is an OOC thing, not IC.. If you want it to be IC add an emote

look shady eyeing him suspicously.

But it is doubly sesitive for people in hoods. When you walk in, do you see ten people wearing a hood up?? Do you see NPC's with hoods up??

Probably not.  If you have a hood up in doors you have one of several conclusions.

1. You are trying to hide your face, for whatever reason, making you a shady person and one to take note of.
2. You are trying to take a nap and the dim light is bothering you.
3. You forgot to take it down when you walked in.
4. You are some dued that just likes to walk around with a hood up indoors.. You also speak with your invisable friend "moe"

People can idenify those around them with the short description. So if steven the elf sneeks by me and emotes that he bumps me on the way out and now my ubersword of greatness is gone.. I can say.. well I am not sure, but Steven the elf was in here before and he knocked into me on my way out.. Maybe he may have taken it..

But with Mr. Cloak.. He is just some guy in a cloak right.. No..

He may be a guy in a cloak with a sparkly Micheal Jackson glove..

He may have a pink boa on..

Then I can say.. as Mr. Cloak bumps me.. Well, I am not sure but that guy that was in here before.. he bumped me, maybe he took it.. I couln't get a good look at his face, but he did have a shinny MJ sparkle glove on.

But then again if I just took a quick look at you (without emote) I may not even note that much.. Unless you interact with me.

You stick out with a hood raised, it is not auto invisble..  If you don't want to be noticed, learn to sneak around...or leave that hood down.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Trenidor, if you're hiding behind a half-giant, use the hide command.

Otherwise, it is up to me to decide if I can see you.  It is that simple.

If I look at you, I made that decision.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Sometimes people would LOOK at my character as soon as she stepped through the door. I would hate that especially when I haven't even got a chance to "em So and so steps into the tavern...." It happened with or without a cloak or mask. I got over it since me getting upset wasn't going to change how people play.

I do like the GLANCE command. Or the LOOK that would only be echoed when you add something to it.
 got caught at school with my hands down my pants and had to keep it down there for  a whole week.......What a week!
~Chris, Family Guy

When I play a half-giant, I do look at everyone, usually for a long time, with curiosity, mouth half open, drooling. When I play d-elf stuck inside a city for some reason, I keep my head bowed. When I play a merchant with two full-large-bags of stuff to sell, I especially turn my chair to the exit and do look at everyone entering. When I play the ranger, I hardly look at people when they push the seat to sit by me.
But some people look at anyone, some people look at hooded figures, even they carefully keep their gazes on the hooded, some people counter-look when anyone looked at them. We can't know if they had the IC reason. So... Bah, I guess I have to say that. We have to suck it up.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Well I mean, if you walk into a bar IRL (or in one of those saloons in the old western movies) - everyone's going to look at you anyway. I mean you're a new face, even if you frequented the tavern every day at the same time without fail, people will -still- look at you. Just becuase you have the 'hinderance' of seeing the syntax of PC's looking at you doesn't mean you have to take it IC. Sure people do it, and it's annoying, but it's all IC, just like any other thing. Just imagine if you could see all the VNPC and NPC people looking at you...you're zmud would crash  :wink:

Ya, I hate this too. I know whenevr I'm in a tavern or in the busy streets, I really don't give a damn what kind of helmet a cloaked figure is wearing or how many visible tattooes they have on them. Especially when I'm in a tavern speaking to someone, I never look away because a tall figure in a sandcloth cloak has entered the tavern. And if the person who I'm talking to looks away and looks at this cloaked person, I actually role-play that I'm offended cause they can't listen to me without looking around the room. Try stuff like that. It works sometimes.

I dunno...whatever

-GF

The current character I have now, I like to emote walking through the tavern, examining many patrons (with a watchful eye) and I keep hooded alot too.

Andrew
ne man can make the world tremble, or in this case four?

I do it to people because I -know- it pisses them off.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I look at everyone that walks in. I do it a lot in
RL also. I like to face the doorway so I know
who is coming in and leaving and it also makes
it easier to notice and get a glance at the shady
characters who walk in. In RL and In Game. Some
people enjoy being aware of what is going on
around them. I know I do :-D
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

I think people raise a lot of good points in this discussion, but there is one thing that has been left out.

Sure, it's natural to be curious about some person who walks into a fine restaurant, all bundled up so you cannot see them.

But if you go into a shady bar, and start starring at everyone who is wearing a cloak...it's a good way to end up dead.  Try going into a biker bar sometime, and you'll realize that the difference between having a good time and a bad time lies largely in where you let your eyes wander.  

I guess my point is that when people go into Zalantha's shadier bars with a hood on, they want to be left alone.  They probably have leprosy or something.  And if by chance they are the leader of a LABRYNTH street gang, you don't want to be starring at them unless you are insane.

In conclusion, I don't think you should stare at people in shady bars unless they call attention to themselves, or you are crazy.
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

From an old tpoic "should I notice hooded figures"

Quote from: "sarahjc"I'm going to take a stab at this one.  I can't say that I don't notice cloaked figures in taverns, but I consider them less common in some places than others.

Examples:

Should there really be a -lot- of cloaked figures in the Sanctuary.. IMHO..No, Its an upscale watering hole with pretty stain glass windows and pristine marble flooring. Most people who patronize that pub, would most likely be the type that are OK with being noticed, look to be noticed even. After all, it is affluential joint, where the creme-de-la -crème of the Sun King's Ivory City congregate. I think Chosen Lord Fancypants in his purple polyester suit and his entourage of guards, aides and assistants would be a tad bit unnerved, if not uncomfortably displeased if the place was teaming with skulking masses of people in hooded cloaks. Maybe even just one or two would raise a brow and cause him to question the person(s). Hell, that guy will yell at you if you walk in with a spot of blood on your cap. And why shouldn't he? So if this is the type of setting the place represents, then once again IMHO there should be no reason that an NPC cloaked figure should be there. And the PC ones that do go there.. should have reason.

Fire storm pub. Where the drunken rabble, skiving filth and those known to have a low brow mentality may enjoy a shared drink, smoke, fight.. and occasionally a few other things..  :roll: A place where the hunter, the pickpocket, filthy misfortunate, the raiders and unconsciously drunk can hang their heads and their hats at the door. Would I expect this place to have as many hooded cloaked shady characters as it does flees? Yes. Most of the aristocratic types in this pretty city would probably not dare step foot in the shabby huts sandy doorway, much less even think to splinter their asses on her rickety old chairs. Unless of course it was to do some shady business of their own, in which they might shroud their own heads and don a hood. In fact, not only would I not question the shady character in the back corner of this filthy brew house, sitting at a dim table with his hood up, I'd probably avoid him.

Just my take on things..

Basically I think it is fine to have youru hood up and expect  people not to look at you in the shadier places like the Gaj or the Firestorm.. Because those -are- the kinds of places you would not stand out as a cloaked figure.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."