Yes
55 (49.1%)
No
35 (31.3%)
Your retarded for asking...
22 (19.6%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Voting closed: May 31, 2004, 04:55:49 PM

Im not sure if this question has been asked or if it is even worth asking, but my question is, have you ever cried or found yourself moping around about a lost character or friend pc? I mean, recently I lost my best char and have been kinda mopin' about because of the loss of him. Has anyone else acted this way, or even cried over their lost char or friend, well, was just asking, replies wanted, thanks.

Omen
ourage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway.
-John Wayne
"Dont worry, he wont bother us...."
Your vision goes black

I swear I did NOT vote your a retard. 8)
ou can change the past but the future can refuse to change.

I don't see why we wouldn't.. most characters we care about dieing are ones we put our heart into, playing them for countless hours, and the thought of them not living anymore is just sad, so it is just natural. It is pretty childish as most people will say, but common sense I suppse.  :roll:
uppers.

I usually haven't cried because of a death, It's more shock and definate moping. Anger, crap like that. But...

Sometimes events happen to my chars, lost friends makes me sad, or tragic lovestories yada yada. I had one char that was horribly betrayed and uncared for by someone they trusted and cared about alot. That was very sad, we both cried.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Interesting, because, I kind of find it hard to grasp the fact that you will     -never- play with that person again, i mean since its a game. Yes, you may end up playing with that person again, but, it still isnt the same pc, is it? It's kind of a weird relization where death is real, but isnt at the same time... Hmmm, any comments?
ourage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway.
-John Wayne
"Dont worry, he wont bother us...."
Your vision goes black

Quote from: "Omen"Interesting, because, I kind of find it hard to grasp the fact that you will     -never- play with that person again, i mean since its a game. Yes, you may end up playing with that person again, but, it still isnt the same pc, is it? It's kind of a weird relization where death is real, but isnt at the same time... Hmmm, any comments?

Yeah, I really wish this game didn't kick so much ass...

Quote from: "Omen"Interesting, because, I kind of find it hard to grasp the fact that you will     -never- play with that person again, i mean since its a game. Yes, you may end up playing with that person again, but, it still isnt the same pc, is it? It's kind of a weird relization where death is real, but isnt at the same time... Hmmm, any comments?

Yeah, I really wish this game didn't kick so much ass...

I have, fortunately, been able to develop a very childlike enthusiasm about Armageddon.

I feel definite sadness when my character dies (I still have the occasional dream about one of them), but I never cry.  I usually shout "Holy shit that was cool!", or "Why the *fuck* did I do that?" and then move on to my next character concept.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I usually get a sense of satisfaction out of a characters death, if it was to pcs and they did a good job of it. After the initial feelings of anger or sadness. Never cry though.

Sometimes I just get really pissed if the people behind my death are careless and don't offer any outlet for mutual rp, other than a quick emote and then the dirty deed while I look away to take a drink of my pepsi or something. That is when it sucks.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

I debated between 'yes' and the last option, but picked the first due to intentions. :)

I cry every single time. How much varies though.
f time conversions are giving you a head-ache, visit: http://www.worldtimeserver.com/

I've never really cried, but at times my heart felt like it had been stabbed with a knife and I'm walking around with a sadden look on my face. Losing a pc sucks, sucks bad especially if you've put alot of time into him.
oy what the fonk you want? Big Worm

i'm more dissapointed by the loss of all the relationships i built with other characters with that char. That's something you can never get back in the same way. While there's nothing behind my char but me, there's real people behind those other chars. Then everything has to change. It's almost like breaking up. Except no loss of sex, so it's not really -that- bad, i guess.

:mrgreen:

remember, use of Mr. Green implies sarcasm. Thank you.

I'm only on my second character, but when my first character died, I cried for a good, solid half an hour...I really felt like I was mourning a lost friend. It took me about two weeks before I could come up with another character idea that I liked. Considering I've been playing my current character for several months, I'm sure I will be very sad when she dies as well. I think it has something to do with the realism of Zalanthas, that you can get so attached to a character, and their friends.

-Irulan
Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."
---
Inara: "Thank you for the wine. It's very... fresh."

Mal: "To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system."

I have cried, yes, but only once, and then because it was sudden and unexpected.  Usually when a character of mine dies I'm expecting it.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Yesterday... *chuckle* I thought I would die. But Whira's Luck let me survive. So yesterday I cried because my char would die, today I danced because he survived.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Some time ago I lost a beloved character. That type of char you have really nice prepared, you know everything about him or her before you even start. I worked month on it before I submitted. And couple of real days after character died for my own newbie mistake. I was crying, more or less, whole weekend.
My another char was attacked by a murderer. It was very good role-played, it was fun and I was not crying at all.
So I think it depends on the death. Sudden unexpected death without real rp reason, after long time of thinking and short time of playing, that could be very sad. But there are "good deaths" too.

No. However, you are not abnormal. Many do.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I do cry a little when losing a beloved PC (and I love all of them really). But more often than that I cry tears of frustration.

When a PC I depended upon and enjoyed interacting with immensely dies or retires.

When I wake up at 3 AM to talk to someone IC and they dont ever respond.

When I am booted from a role I enjoyed immensely because of what very much looks like OOC reasons (because I wasnt the class they thought I would be, but it shouldnt have mattered for the job), and no matter how long I think about it it still looks like OOC reasons.

When losing the role mentioned above leads to a rat tail of events destroying everything I enjoyed doing with that PC, and even her identity and personality I very much liked as well.

Now that I think about it I've shed a whole lot of tears recently, but I'm too stubborn to retire. I have just found myself logging in a lot less.

ok  I had to reopen this thread.   Just lost my second character.  The first one I didn't miss all that much, he didn't make much of an impact and was fairly forgetable.  But with this one, I didn't realize it could be -this- hard.  It sounds wimpy, and I rarely get emotional over much of anything, but damn this game can get under your skin.  Only saving grace is that my character could have lived, he ran away, but went back to save someone importaint to him.  So at least it was a noble death.  It's too bad he will never know if he succeeded.   I hope I can get another character that was as much fun to play again.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

It's funny, I don't really ever -think- I'm all that upset over my characters....  but after a character with a really intricate, enjoyable life, and a personality that I've managed to truly connect with dies, I experience a fairly long period (say a week or so) of just plain hating my new character; even if the new concept is outstanding.

I have not cried over my own PC's death per say, mostly it is just a sense of.."OMG.. I just died" kind of shock, then a bit of sulking, and then I move on... But Like Xygax I hate my New PC for a short time, a few weeks at least. They are sort of like a new pair of sneakers or boots that you were forced to buy because your old ones are rendered unwearable. You may have hand picked the shoes and really like them.. but they are not as comfortable as the old ones yet and tend to give you blisters, they feel sort of strange for a while and I sort of resent having to buy them until they are broken in.

What I have done is gotten wispy eyed over other PC's that my PC was close with. Just recently I was so angry and upset at a PC's death that I felt like throwing things.  There was a good bit of fist pounding on my desk and a few god damnit's. I suppose it is because I get very engrossed in my PC's when I play.  Though it is one of the addicting qualities of the game and why I love and hate it all at the same time soo much.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

i could definately see myself getting pissed off and angry if (when) my character dies. Hell, I used to throw the nintendo controllers as a kid, I haven't changed. But cry? nah. Be sad? Nah. I don't deal with death in real life by crying or depths of sadness, most often, much less in a game (or mass consensual hallucination).

I'm usually pretty excited because I have all these cool new concepts I'm waiting to try out. I only cry after I realize that I'm going to have to wait a few hours before I can play again.

Quote from: "Xygax"It's funny, I don't really ever -think- I'm all that upset over my characters....  but after a character with a really intricate, enjoyable life, and a personality that I've managed to truly connect with dies, I experience a fairly long period (say a week or so) of just plain hating my new character; even if the new concept is outstanding.

Same.

I actually chuckled a bit when one of my favorite characters died because it was just SO brutally Armageddon.. then I realized after a bit that I missed that character horribly bad, and occasionally, still sulk a bit from time to time.

Naatok the naughty monkey hoots and shrieks with anguish, rage and frustration over the loss of yet another of his awesomely naughty characters, rattling the bars of his monkey cage.

I've cried over the loss of two of my own pcs, and over the sadness of the impact one of my pc's deaths...or the death of one that my pc was involved with....many times.

And for those of you 'he-men' out there who feel crying is a shameful display of weakness for men....come on over and I'll have a good cry after lopping your head off to add to my belt of heads, drinking a toast of single malt scotch to rescuing your soul from your failed and miserable life.

:twisted:
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

I think Irulan hit the nail on the head when she said it's like losing a friend. Here's a personality that you know, and feel great affection, perhaps to the point of love, for and they're gone, never to be seen again, along with with all the relationships with other players that they had.

I think the only time I've cried was a number of years ago, pre-coming on staff, when a character that had been alive about a year and a half died - primarily due to losing link at the wrong moment.  But I am also notorious for crying in movies (twice at Dumbo), so I don't think that represents the norm.

It's an interesting question - thank you for starting the discussion.