Slow Down Combat

Started by jmordetsky, May 28, 2004, 11:43:58 AM

Should we slow down the current combat engine?

Slow it down, but leave the amount of damage done the same.
13 (17.6%)
Slow it down, increase the damage done by a hit, so a hit means more.
16 (21.6%)
Leave it be.
42 (56.8%)
Hell speed it up! I love adrenal stims.
3 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: May 28, 2004, 11:43:58 AM

Well Agent Let, it shouldn't be your goal to practice one.  Also, if you want a friend to attack you so you can get better at using your shield, or parrying his blows, that's probably fine.  I don't see how sparring with just a shield for that purpose is bad, although the documents do say that going into battle with two shields is not acceptable.  If you train with a variety of weapons, armors, shields et cetera as an in character means to figure out how to be an awesome fighter, the skills will come naturally.
hake: He's in a better place now.
Frylock: He's in the grille of that truck!

I prefer the play on with "let" to stay with "Live and 137 die" and not enter my name, but....

I said in most cases...if you pick up a shield only so you don't murder your sparring partner with your weapon...cool. But why would you want to train -just- shield when you could also train a weapon? And my issue here isn't with sparring as much as the difficulty in training ONLY defense or ONLY offense... in response to meatwads post.

The only way to have an offensive style or defensive style is your choice of weapon combination. It would be nice to have the stances as originally suggested. But...as it stands...the only way to switch to defensive is to pick up a shield and a parrying dagger, and if you want to do offensive, grab a twohanded sword. This limits it to accomplished fighters who train multiple skills. Which....maybe...isn't that bad.

I thought about this, instead of having specific locations, have:
Upper body.
Lower body.
Left side.
Right side.
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

I'm not talking about a skill just a way to shift your focus.  So if you suck and your just interested in getting from A to B, you could set yourself to defensive mood.  That wy whenever you are attacked, it makes it a little harder to hit you, but a lot harder fo you to hit them, and you would have a little better of a chance of getting away.  Your just focused on holding your own long enough to get way.

The same goes if your objective is to kill something at all costs, you can change to aggressive mood and you have a slightly better chance of hitting it, but your leaving yourself wide open.

When you are in normal mood you fight just as you do now.  So in most cases, this is what you would want to stay in.

Just a thought.
Vettrock