Combat lag

Started by Mexie, May 01, 2004, 07:39:18 PM

Has any other 56k user had problems with combat stalling or just plain acting weird?  For example, I've experienced long strings of attacks from my opponent while my character just stands still, or vice versa.  Is it supposed to be like that?  Is it a function of attack speed?  My few experiences with combat have been very confusing, and I'm just wondering how it works, or if it's reccomended that I have a better connection.  I'm guessing that there are alot of variables involved in Arm's combat code, all constantly being exchanged between host and client, so I just figured that maybe my slow connection was the problem.
Shovels a dozen gnomes into the furnace*

Nothing about connection.. Combat is auto, we only type special attacks. But a dwarf moves slower than an elf, a dagger may be swinged faster than a halberd and someone carrying just a torch may move faster than a hunter carrying four scrab shells.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

The mud's code is not like regular muds code where everyone gets an attack every 'round'.
How many attacks is based on skill, and race, and stats, and possibly encumbrance. So if your an unskilled dwarf with low agility and heavily weighted down, that naked elf is going to get way more attacks, while you sit there.
Connection speed should only be an issue when there is a bunch of fighting going on in the same room usually. Good connection is nice.

A better connection is always nice, but unless your in an area where noone wants to go and you don't have a clear view of the southern sky (Like me:( :evil: ) But yes, the key is to by light on your feet, a balanced weapon (Preferance), and skilled, wait.. doesn't that sound like RL?
I mean if I am carrying two 40 LB bags of cement and carrying a knife, and your not carrying the cement and have a knife, don't you think you would be faster?
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

Ahhh ok, that makes sense.  I must've been seriously weighted down then, or my opponent was insanely fast. Whichever.
Shovels a dozen gnomes into the furnace*

You should see two really slow PC's fight when they are weighed down like they're carrying a house.
All I'm gonna say is.

Since me and you aren't going to swing, which one of us should flee?
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.