Pack Rats

Started by Realedazed, May 01, 2004, 03:20:22 PM

Would you say that your character is a pack rat. Or when you were new to the game you were a packrat?

For some reason I keep almost everything that my character finds for forages that I think is even remotely related to my craft. I have a heavy, but managable emcumbrance almost all the time. I think I'm like that in real like, too. I hate throwing things away because in my heart or hearts I just know that I'm going to need them down the line.

What about you guys?

(Alright, yeah, I'm bored.)
 got caught at school with my hands down my pants and had to keep it down there for  a whole week.......What a week!
~Chris, Family Guy

Bah.. I sometimes even junk some valuable stuff because my char thinks "It's not useful for me."...
I like my pack nearly empty, with a few things like a glow-crystal, waterskin, a few bags and one or two things I crafted but couldn't sell yet.
I don't think my encumbrance was heavier than 'light' anytime.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

I keep an item in my inventory until I find a place to sell it. If I can't find, I basically junk it, because of the simple idea. If you find something somewhere, you can find that shit maybe right there or anywhere else, as lons as the item has not been removed from the item list of the MUD  8)
Besides my encumbrance become managable always after I reach the first day of playing with it. And I can't junk all those waterskins and food :wink:
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You think:
"No! Please leave me be whoever you are."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

It's good people having difficulty looting your corpse when they kill you, eska :P
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

i personally have a tendency to be a packrat, but if i had to carry my whole world on my back like my character, i'm sure i'd throw out a lot more stuff.

So i wrestle with it.

I finally junked my newbie shirt. After about a day and a half of play time.

My characters tend to keep most stuff they find, and tend to find a lot of things, too.  I often have an encumberance of very heavy, sometimes VERY heavy and occasionally unbelievably heavy...   :shock:   I'm sure my character wouldn't carry that lot around for long though, so I find a way not to have unbelievably heavy all the time...

I'm a pack-rat as well.  If I think I can sell something somewhere I pick it up and carry it until I am convinced It can't be sold, or It can't be sold anywhere that I will be going anytime in the near future.

I try to keep my encumbrance at about managable or below, so If I get above that I'll start throwing stuff away.
Vettrock

I'm not...but I -love- pack rats...they make some of my pcs very rich. :twisted:
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I only keep things my PC likes, and then i only keep things I can have without getting into trouble :) like that uber-silver noble ring? all mine.
that crazy little stone spider, mine all mine.
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

I try to make this an IC thing, based on my characters.  Some characters have enough needs met not to keep a lot of things, or some just arn't plan ahead type of people.  On the other hand I've had characters that kept almost everything ever given to them on their person at all time.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I tend to be a pack rat, slowly using a save room to build up to epic proportions.  Then I die, and some intrepid person has a field day with all the stuff.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I'm one hell of a packrat. If you could see half of the crap that my characters have, you'd laugh. Packs, and packs, and bags, and bags...

I try to keep my characters as light as possible, though. So unless I have a place to store the crap, until it finds a use, I'll sell it or junk it.

I just can't imagine my characters out wandering the wastes, hefting a pack full of crap around if they didn't have to.
<Blank> says, out of character:
     "OW!  Afk a moment, my chair just...broke, beneath me."

I'm kind of a pack rat.  I love finding things especially looted items.  But I'm in a constant struggle to sell off what I can't use, I'm usually collecting quicker than selling.  Fortunately, or unfortunately I have a place to store my things that allows me to indulge in my pasttime.

I really don't need much so most everything should be sold except weapons and armor.  As a fighter-type I have an extensive weapon collection, probably far too many.
harlie Bucket: Mr. Wonka, they won't really be burned in the furnace, will they?
Willy Wonka: Well, I think that furnace is only lit every other day, so they have a good sporting chance, haven't they?

I'm sorta kinda a packrat.  I don't keep a lot of unnecessary fluff stuff..a couple of odds and ends given as gifts, like a single rose, or perhaps an unusual piece of candy or food substance.

Most of the stuff my characters have saved were weapons that were specific to their preference in combat. Though, I had a Nenyuk PC who collected short blades. Daggers, knives, that kind of thing. She had no reason or need to use them and didn't have any combat training. She just liked them and had a really interesting collection...a hobby.

The rest of the stuff I amass are either to help out my clan (they go into the public bins/baskets/boxes) for crafters, or other things that I actually intend to use.

I either sell off or junk the rest.

I have some odd quirks when it comes to how I handle this with my characters.  I have had a few characters who lugged a lot of stuff around with them, including an independent merchant of mine. And a lot of my characters tend to be slaves to fashion, which usually requires a saveroom, if not a private home.

But I think that the tendency to be a packrat depends on whether the character is poor or ever has been poor.  That's not to say that my richer characters don't accumulate a lot of stuff, but it's easier to let unnecessary stuff go when you're rich.

Also... lately I have stuck to the principle that my characters will only wear backpacks if it makes sense for them to do so.  And IMO there's a lot of situations where it doesn't make sense.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Unless it's shiny, sharp, or possibly filled with alcahol, most of my characters could care less. I hate seeing anything more than 'No problem'
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

All my character needs is a shopping cart for all her stuff.  She's really a bag lady.
 got caught at school with my hands down my pants and had to keep it down there for  a whole week.......What a week!
~Chris, Family Guy

My character wasn't that much of a packrat, i was doing good with him.

But then I nearly died of dehydration in the MIDDLE of tuluk.

So now I have, like, 4 water gourds and 2 waterskins. Not alll full of course, but still. The poor bastard is scared to death of dying of dehydration now.

Quote from: "crymerci"Also... lately I have stuck to the principle that my characters will only wear backpacks if it makes sense for them to do so.  And IMO there's a lot of situations where it doesn't make sense.

Yeah, I've been doing that for a while. If you think about it, it's kinda odd for everyone and their mothers to be wearing a backpack.. even the nobles and templars. :p

Quote from: "Delirium"Yeah, I've been doing that for a while. If you think about it, it's kinda odd for everyone and their mothers to be wearing a backpack.. even the nobles and templars. :p

Well, considering that most PCs don't have a coded home and family living there with them to watch over various belongings, I just consider it a necessary compromise.

Nobles and templars probably shouldnt..that seems a bit odd.  Unless your out on a expedition or something.

Quote from: "SpyGuy"Nobles and templars probably shouldnt..that seems a bit odd.  Unless your out on a expedition or something.

Even then.. get your lackies to carry stuff for you. ;)

I know of at least two nobles that do not wear backpacks.  One of them has a 'shoulder pack' which basically, when looked at and such, looks like a big purse...the other used to have one, but got rid of it as soon as a replacement to hold the few things he seemed to carry around.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Some of my previous characters have been pack rats. One in particular was a champion hoarder. "Quite the pack rat" he was called when confronted leaving the 'rinth by an Imm animated templar. Fortunately that was only early in his pack ratting career as later some really nice things spent time being lugged around permanantly on his back which I can't go into. I've always wondered though what the person's face was like when they found his body...

Nothing wrong with being a pack rat though. Unless you're a pretty high-ranking member of society or you've got decent 'sid at your disposal there's often little other choice if you want to keep items that are important to your character secure other than hauling them around. You can rent a house of course but I gave up on that after constantly having my stuff nicked - first they just took some of the nice things, then they took the virtually worthless things until finally they took everything but the bed all in about a week.
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

Quote from: "Boggis"You can rent a house of course but I gave up on that after constantly having my stuff nicked - first they just took some of the nice things, then they took the virtually worthless things until finally they took everything but the bed all in about a week.

They didn't take your bed?  I'm sooo jealous!  Sometimes you can get an apartment with immoveable furnature items installed, that is sweet.  Built-in furnature is the only way I've found to keep my furnature from being stolen, including the ratty old rugs on the floor.  I'm not sure some of this stuff is even re-sellable, maybe they steal it just to furnish their own rat-holes.  Someone once stole my twig broom.  What kind of theif takes a twig broom?

Anyway, yes, many of my characters are pack-rats.  I try not to be heavily encumbered, so I do a lot of shuffling, but I just can't toss out some stuff.  I once had an independant that carried a pair of anakore claw gloves in my pack for weeks because I was afraid to be be seen wearing them (in case someone attacked me because they wanted gloves) but I didn't want to sell them for what NPC shopkeepers were offering either.  Argh.  It is really hard for me to just discard anything that I know is worth 10 sid, even if I'm not using it, I can't find anywhere to sell it and I have 5000 'sid in the bank, just tossing stuff seems wrong.  I might need it later!

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"They didn't take your bed?  I'm sooo jealous!  Sometimes you can get an apartment with immoveable furnature items installed, that is sweet.  Built-in furnature is the only way I've found to keep my furnature from being stolen, including the ratty old rugs on the floor.

Yes, the bed was built-in which I'm sure was the only reason some lone thief wasn't spotted huffing and puffing down the street with a large double bed strapped to his back with the neighbours going "Oh, I didn't know Boggis was moving house tonight". Everything that wasn't nailed down was stroked in jig time anytime I left anything there. It got to the point where I was considering only leaving trapped items and poisoned food in there but that seemed a little over-the-top. Just about.
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)