New crafting helper..

Started by ashjpd, April 29, 2004, 07:10:19 PM

Would it be possible for a new command to help people find out more what to use with crafting. An idea I was think was that you could use a command, lets say "rub" is the command, (not saying this is what could be used, just the first word I came up with)

rub stone
you could use a small piece of wood with that.
you could use a small piece of bone with that.
you couse use a small piece of metal with that.

This would help a lot of crafters find out how to make a lot more stuff. But it might not be realalistic and could be easily abuse I suppose, maybe even hard to code, I don't know. Thoughts?..

*EDITED IN*
To clear up what I am trying to say, cause my post is vaugue.
Wondering if there could be a command that will let you examine a certain item, to see what you could craft with it. I don't see how else I can explain it, but now I figure out it is just not worth it, so never mind then.
uppers.

If I understand what you're saying (your post is vague) you want a command to make it easier to make items that require multiple components to create.

I don't think that those items are supposed to be easy to create.
Back from a long retirement

A lot of things are -fairly- easy to figure out without any help at all.

Example (I'm making this up so if it ends up it's actually something in the game, SORRY)

Let's say you're a weaponsmith. So you know already that you wanna make weapons, not clothes or a pretty marble box or whatever.

So you've got a piece of bone. It's a pretty big piece according to the description, and you're thinking maybe you can make a blade with it. But "craft bone" doesn't show anything...and yet you know you have enough skill to do lots of other things with other materials so you're thinking maybe you just need another component.

Groovy - what kind of blade WOULD you make out of this big piece of bone? Maybe - a longsword. But hm - those needs handles, or hilts, or whatever they're called. So maybe grab a couple of different types and sizes of wood. Obviously not a log, you won't need that much wood to make a handle, right? Or at least you shouldn't. Wood isn't working? How about a rock? What kind of rock will be sturdy enough to withstand combat? Certainly not something that has the word "crumbly" in the description..

etc. etc. etc.

HOWEVER

The magicker help files give some pretty detailed "hints" on components that can be used for magicks - which could be a dead giveaway to any templar who sees you buying some of this stuff in the market...

So perhaps maybe a helpfile for component crafting is in order, instead of specifics on each object?

Example:

Weaponsmith component crafting:

Bone, wood, and stone are all used to make various weapons in Armageddon. Crumbly stones can be turned into piss-poor weapons, but are good for the novice to work with until they learn more about technique. Bone and wood often are combined in Tuluki weaponry, while stone, especially obsidian, are the primary material for Allanaki work. Different woods can be used with both stone and bone, however bone and stone do not combine well. Also weapons made with a combination of materials will more likely see wooden hilts wrapped with leather, rather than a wood blade with some other material for the hilt.

And yeah it's confusing as hell but like I said I'm making it up as I type :)

But something like that would be a help, without giving the actual combos away, wouldn't it?

I can think of some great helps like this for a few different crafts that I've worked on with my characters in the past.

Personally, I feel that crafting wouldn't be so bad if there were more things to craft.  If there were 100,000 different kinds of swords to craft, then there would obviously be a much higher chance you could make one at some skill level.  You could make different swords from the same complex ingredient list, but they would be different kinds of swords, such as weight or damage differences, or even how fast they break.  So what I'm thinking is the more crafting submissions, the more rewarding crafting will be.

Use common sense, if that doesn't work something may not exist and you can either submit one or wait for someone else to.

What I would like to see is the "Craft X" command reveal everything that you can make with that component given your current skill, whether or not you include the other components in the craft statement.

No one is that intuitive. Use your real life imagination and if you think of something that can possibly be made from it, give it a try. There is no reason why you'd know everything (and it would probably a horrendously long list) that something can be made into.