A different kind of watch

Started by Guestmaster, April 28, 2004, 03:29:20 PM

I was thinking, that if one person was suspicious of another, they'd keep their eye on that person.  So I was hoping for a skill that would let you keep a close eye on a person, which would increase your chance of seeing them do shady things such as palming that steel dagger.  Thoughts on this?

I like the idea, although the person you're watching should be aware you are doing so.

I'm all for this idea.  If you -know- someone is going to try and steal from you, you'd probably keep an eye on them.  Watching one person should still make one less aware of the happenings in their room though, they'll only be particularly difficult to lose items to the one char they're watching.

It does make sense, and then you can have that whole "keep him busy while I snatch his dagger" thing with two or more thieves.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I like it.  I'd just say have the person less aware of everything else (more chance not to notice other sneaky types) and also have it echo back to the person you're watching.

I imagine every elf walking into the Barrel might get this:
Blah stares intently at you.
XXX stares intently at you.
Mansa stares intently at you.
:twisted:  stares intently at you.
:roll:  stares intently at you.
etc...

I dig it.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

what does watch do currently?

I thought it did this. It'd be great if it did.

Currenty you can only watch a direction (north, south, east, west, up, down, out).

Yeah, good suggestion with not being as aware.  If I'm watching that elf right in front of me, I won't be as likely to notice the half-elf behind me dipping his hands into my pockets.

I'm not so sure I like the echo in every case.  Maybe if the person being watched is really aware (not sure what skill or stat would be checked) then they would catch you watching them, but otherwise they shouldn't.  If I'm across the bar, sipping my ale, while keeping an eye on you over the mug, you might not catch that in a crowded tavern.  Could be similar to the listen skill, with how people might tip their head or have a little thing they do whenever they are listening in.

I just thought it'd be a neat skill ^_^

I think this is well, and if it is to hard to code to block out the other stuff happening, then maybe we can just rp stuff we don't see. Just like when someone emotes something while they are hiding, but it could easily be abused. Imm's choice.
uppers.

Yes, I greatly agree with this.  It should greatly improve chances of spotting someone hiding, sneaking, palming or stealing.  But is blatantly obvious that your watching them like a hawk.

Yeah, because some people are good enough to do it even while you are watching them...I definitely think that if something like this was added it should be obvious to the person that they are being watched.

You would have to be watching them carefully unless they totally suck at it to have any chance of catching them I would think.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D