Morning Devotions in Allanak

Started by wizturbo, April 24, 2004, 10:08:26 PM

I just realized something.

In order to attend morning devotions, you must pay the water tax.

This is...an insane tax since morning devotions are every single day.

Roughly 5 sid * many hundreds of days = a lot of coin

Maybe the water taxers should be just before the steel dragon of Allanak, so morning devotion attendee's aren't taxed.

Or code the tax thingie so everyone is exempt as long as that NPC Templar is out there doing the devotions.

The NPC templar hasn't been around for a long time now :-(

It's about time someone whacked that fruitcake. Crazy-ass southern templars <scoff> But you get the idea. From "dawn" til "early morning" the tax could be waived. Not many people are coming IN from being outside at night anyway - you're more likely to see people coming in late in the day before the gate closes. That's where you'll be making your tax money anyway.

Bah.  The truely devoted are happy to pay!

You could always carry less water.  

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"Bah.  The truely devoted are happy to pay!

You could always carry less water.  

AC

Lol.

Carrying one waterskin, is a 5 sid fee.

Sooo...lets do the math.

Thats 3465 sid a year in water taxes, from attending morning devotions.

That is more sid then most wealthy merchants make a year.

Quote from: "wizturbo"
Quote from: "Angela Christine"Bah.  The truely devoted are happy to pay!

Lol.

Carrying one waterskin, is a 5 sid fee.

Sooo...lets do the math.

Thats 3465 sid a year in water taxes, from attending morning devotions.

That is more sid then most wealthy merchants make a year.

Nope, you'll run out of water long before you pay that much.  :twisted:  

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Maybe thats the point? "Encourage" citizens to attend devotions and then tax them on their way back in for the water they got from you. ICly, whos gonna complain? If the numbers of people at devotions go down a few templar started rumors of punishment could easily fix that.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

What I'm saying, is the average common could not -afford- to attend morning devotion.  All the threats in the world wouldn't help, because they'd die of starvation anyway if they went.

The "average" commoner wouldn't be carrying a big honking waterskin everywhere he goes in the first place.  Maybe a small flask, but a waterskin with a 5 sid tax is a big waterskin.  The average commoner wouldn't carry that much water, because water is heavy and valuable.

AC

Leave your waterskin at home (I am assuming you have a house) and you are good
some of my posts are serious stuff

Or just don't go to morning devotions! ....oops. did I say that out loud? uhh... Praise the Highlord!
 am a benevolent tyrannt.