Learning weapon skills

Started by Gus, April 23, 2004, 02:06:56 AM

Can you learn weapon skills like you learn language skills?  If you spar with a weapon you aren't familiar with, like say an axe (the chop skill), will you eventually learn the chop skill?

Nope.  The only skills that work like that are languages and pilot.  Maybe ride, too, I don't know.

ride, pilot, languages... They're learned even if you don't have the skill AFAIK. But no, your Rukkian won't ever be a swordmaster. :)
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "Cenghiz"But no, your Rukkian won't ever be a swordmaster. :)

Well, not usually.  If some merchant joined the byn and doggedly attended training every morning despite getting his ass handed to him,  then eventually, after a few IC years, some imm might take pitty on him and give him a little skill (with a low cap) with his favorite weapon type.  I wouldn't count on it though.  But if you are trying to use an out-of-guild weapon regularily for, say, at least 6 RL months you could collect logs and petition the staff for a little help.

Once the GDB there was the story of a magicker who joined a group of warriors, and acted like a warrior.  He ignored his magickal abilities for so long that one day they changed his guild!  He _had_ been practicing warrior skills, and letting his mage skills atrophy to the point where he lost access to them.

Historically Muk was a great warrior.  Now he is a God/sorcerer/king.  At some point over the last few hundred years he picked up the skills of a sorcerer and a mindbender, but he probably didn't do it over night.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Once I played a rukkian who had friends who liked to play darts. She was given hours-long lessons on the technique of dart-throwing, and played darts with her buddies semi-regularly. After several RL weeks, I figured by now she'd have at least a passing knowledge of the throw skill, so I e-mailed a log and asked for it. It was given to me, a "newbie-level" of the skill, with a very low max.

Mostly I did it because it made sense for her to have at least a basic knowledge of how to hold a throwing knife or a dart, and I never used it for combat. Maybe I would have eventually, but through her life as a PC in the game, I just never really needed it for anything else.

Oh and I think climb also pops eventually even if it isn't on your skills list.

Considering the amount limbing I did with some of my characters, (fell down some hole more than once)I don'y think climb ever appears on your skil list unless you start with it or branch it
Vettrock