Wouldnt it be neat if...

Started by Akaramu, April 16, 2004, 05:05:51 AM

...a starting character could get tattoos, clothing and gear with their newbie money in the hall of kings already? Instead of just scars?

I consider purchasing the first batch of items (some of which the character supposedly had since their childhood) totally OOC. Isnt it somewhat embarrassing to tell someone the background story of a specific item if they have seen you purchase it in a shop just a few IC days ago?

Besides, I am not a big fan of the obvious newbie gear. I could imagine a few characters who would NEVER walk around in brown pants. Unless something very serious happened to them IC, forcing them to. And it is too easy to OOCly detect a new person with low skills... IC, they might have been around for many years, and you would not know how skilled they are. But their gear OOCly gives it away.

Sometimes there are items that a character would most likely be wearing because it is part of their personality to do so... but for some reason, the specific thing you are looking for isnt for sale anywhere in your starting location.

Also, if a player insists on starting as a broke rinther covered by tattooes, this would give them a chance to do it, instead of having to figure out a way to get rid of their coin as quickly as possible.

I would idea this the next time I'm standing around in the hall of kings, but I dont feel like waiting until my PC dies. ;)

Very true, I was just thinking of that myself... But it'd need to be just basic stuff you can easily get in game. Also, no haggling :)
I often see obviously brand-new characters pop in in the tavern and rush out immediately to buy stuff, sometimes even disregarding actions others do in the room... It's strange, but I usually just ignore it.
It'd allow your character have those pesky Tuluki tattoos from the beginning which is -much- more realistic than running to buy 'em as soon as your brand new character pops in.
Of course, one could roleplay having virtual equipment or tattoos meanwhile... But would it be that hard to make the Hall some sort of a shop?

(Edit: added missing half of one sentence  :roll: )
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

I would suggest something more along the lines of pointing from the Hall of Kings, going to another pregame room where you can only get things appropriate to your new location.  Your starting gear and the like isn't determined until you point for a reason.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

What if you spent your entire life at the other end of the world and, for specific IC reasons, just arrived in the location where you are starting at? All of my characters so far were foreigners in the city they started within, partly to excuse my OOC ignorance about the area.

It might be appropriate for a character to wear a bracelet made in Tuluk while starting in Allanak if they spent several years up north.

This has been suggested before.  :)

I'd like to see it, even if simply to get a caste tattoo and start in Allanak.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

That is true, but you could always explain your ignorance some other way.  Everyone new to the game is unfamiliar with every location.  Saying you're from Tuluk when you start in Allanak has other problems, however.  Your accent is wrong for being from the north...when you join the Byn and go up north, now you're unfamiliar with that location but everyone expects you to be familiar with it.  I would suggest for those that are unfamiliar with a location to be from an outlying village or to have spent a sheltered childhood.  These are just as viable excuses for not knowing the area and still have you from the area.  I'm not saying that there shouldn't be crossover between the two, like having most (non-caste) tattoos and some gear available anywhere.  I am saying that your stats aren't even rolled up until you point.  Anything that happens to your character should happen after that and there should be some limitations on this.  The way the system works now, you can only equip yourself with things that are in the city you start in unless you pick up and move on...without fully equipping your character.  I'm actually in favor of this idea, but not exactly as presented.  I'm suggesting an alteration to it, because anything else would require other things (which would take a lot more work) to be changed first.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

When a new char pops in I think it is perfectly IC for them to rush out, preferably with a brief emote, and go do their thing.  But also the new 'rinther might never even have thought to enter the Gaj before, its just the OOC starting point of all chars.

I like this idea but on second thought I'm opposed to having everything available at the start.  It doesnt make much IC sense for a 'nakki to have certain wooden goods (thats might be alot more expensive in the south) or to have certain tattoos that are logically Tuluki/Storm specific.  What I  -dread- is a new player who read all 'nakki documentation and decided to start a 'nak character but didnt think to read every little bit about Tuluk.  Our aspiring newbie then buys caste tattoos by mistake because they look cool and has to figure out how to ICly explain that for the rest of his hopefully brief life.  Could just cause problems.

How about you have the hall of kings and first point to where your character is from originally.  You get assigned your accent from there and can buy area specific garb.  Then you go into another room after the shops and point where your character is living now.  This lets for some more fluid backgrounds that might usually require Imm involvement and at the same time lets you buy tattoos/clothing that might be appropriate for your character.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Saying you're from Tuluk when you start in Allanak has other problems, however.  Your accent is wrong for being from the north...when you join the Byn and go up north, now you're unfamiliar with that location but everyone expects you to be familiar with it.

I've never had problems. A wish has always fixed the accent for me very quickly, and on the one occasion I was moved from a new area to one I was supposed to know, I logged off, got back on at the odd hours I usually play at, and had plenty of time to learn the area. ;)

I like SpyGuy's suggestion. A lot.

Akaramu, I just said that there are problems with buying shit in the Hall of Kings.  Seriously, I don't give a rat's ass about how it can be fixed by IMM intervention, because, honestly, I would rather not bother the IMMs.  My personal belief is that if you want a Tuluki in 'Nak, make a Tuluki and find a way for your northern ass south.  Your character would have had to at one point in their life and it is kinda cheap in my opinion to skip what should be a potentially dangerous trip.

Still, I am 100% against you buying shit in the Hall of Kings because your character isn't finished yet.

If you want to come up with another solution that adds more customization within staff set limitations, I'm all for it.  I've already said this, so stop fucking arguing with me.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Still, I am 100% against you buying shit in the Hall of Kings because your character isn't finished yet.

Agreed. Just do what everyone else does and buy the items with you are brought in-game. It's not a big deal we should even worry about, honestly.

Quote from: "spawnloser"
I've already said this, so stop fucking arguing with me.

Roar bitch. That hurts.

QuoteI've already said this, so stop fucking arguing with me.

Allow me.

FLAME! FLAME! FLAME! CLOSE THE THREAD! FLAME! STOP THE FIGHTING! FLAME! FLAME! CLOSE THE THREAD!
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

QuoteRoar bitch. That hurts.
Okay, I'm sorry if that came off as harsh, but I was getting tired of arguing with someone when I support the general idea but not as presented.  I was simply offering suggestions as to how the idea could be better implemented.

QuoteAllow me.

FLAME! FLAME! FLAME! CLOSE THE THREAD! FLAME! STOP THE FIGHTING! FLAME! FLAME! CLOSE THE THREAD!
As always, Carnage pops up with the voice of reason.  :roll: