Zalanthan or Zalanthian

Started by moab, April 14, 2004, 10:16:11 AM

There was a post about this a long time ago - which is proper?
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

If it was "Zalanthis" or "Zalanthi" then "Zalanthian" might be appropriate. But it isn't. It's "Zalanthas", and thus, "Zalanthan." There is no "i" in Zalanthas. No need to add one to its adjective counterpart.

I love you, Bestatte. Will you marry me. :-)

You are correct, of course.  I found the information here:
http://www.zalanthas.org/ArmDocs/Community/stylesheet.html
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Just like Canada and that Canadans. :wink:

See now, if it was Zalantha, and not Zalanthas, you'd have a point Gorobei. Zalantha = Zalanthian, not Zalanthan.

But, it isn't. It's Zalanthas. As such, it's Zalanthan, not Zalanthian. Go me!

Galdun, 0
Bestatte, 1/2
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I prefer Zanthalan.  

Just to be difficult.

Quote from: "zanthalandreams"I prefer Zanthalan.  

Just to be difficult.

Do Pc's even know the term Zalanthas ICly, just out of curiosity.

Do you know the term 'Earth'?

I think that they do, personally, but 'the Known World' is more accurate because there's all that uncharted territory and all.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

This has come up before, it is even in the archives:  http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5883

I'm going to quote myself, because I had some good things to say about about place names that end in S.  I only used place names that ended in S and were not plural, because there were a bunch of names that ended in "Islands" but the name of the people is based of the singular form, without the s (you get Islanders, not Islandsers).

Yes, but it isn't Zalatha, so it isn't like America since it doesn't actually end in a vowel it ends in an S. What places' names end in an S? I dunno, I'll ask the CIA.

Laos -- Laotian
Maldives -- Maldavian
Mauritius -- Mauritian
Netherlands -- Dutch (what's that about?)
Seychelles -- Seychellois
Los Angeles -- Los Angelians

So following the pattern of other places that end in S, I would expect it to be Zalanthian, Zalanthois, or Dutch.

I say we go with Dutch.

Unfortuanately the staff have officially gone with Zalanthan, so Zalanthan is the officially correct version.  They are wrong, of course, but since they are the staff there is nothing we can do about it.  :(  Not that I'm bitter or anything.  :twisted:

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

They're not wrong AC, neither are you. It's some kind of silly rule involving words that end in As - not Es or Is.

Kansas - Kansan, not Kansian.
Manasas - Manasan, not Manasian.
Zalanthas - Zalanthan, not Zalanthian.

Having the background to back her up, I will say that Bestatte is correct in her support of the Staff's official 'what is right the correct word' response.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Athas (Dark Sun World)- Athan

Yes, Gilvar, there are exceptions.

However, it isn't Athian for certain.

If anything, it would be Zalanthasian, but that is a mouthfull.  Longer words tend to be shortened, and short words tend to have something added.  English is not an exact science, but still, in most cases you go by the rules.

Yes, I do believe it is Athasian and not Athan.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

QuoteAthas (Dark Sun World)- Athan

Actually, incorrect.  Beingst a long, long, long time player of Dark Sun, I can state that the term is "Athasian" and not "Athan."

Also, to end this debate once and for all, I say we change it to Zalanthus, and then we all become Zalanthiots.  (Cyprus = Cypriot)
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Zalanthan. End of story.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Arkansas  -  Arkansan
Honduras - Honduran
Texas - Texan
Bahamas - Bahamian or Bahaman
Dallas - Dallasite
Madras - Madrasi
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

http://www.zalanthas.org/ArmDocs/Community/stylesheet.html

It is Zalanthan, not Zalanthian. Taken from the main style sheet for Arm.

Atalya