analyze

Started by smiley, April 13, 2004, 04:59:52 PM

Does the analyze skill do anything?  When I try to use it the prompt comes up immediately and nothing happens.  I've waited for a while to see if it takes a long time to analyzing something is a long process and still gotten no result.  Not even from items that I can craft.

Analyze only works on things you have the skill to make and only if those are pc craftable.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

If something is crafteable and you have the analyze skill you will receive one of the following messages:

A. It appears to made of (Blank (and blank)).
B. You have an idea how that is made, but you're not sure.
C. You cannot tell how that is made.

A- You have the skill to make it, but may still fail. This is the message most people like to see.

B- You are almost able to figure it out. You probably are not skilled enough to try and will likely not have the option to create it on logical components.

C- The item is crafteable, but you do not know, and possibly won't ever have the skill.

D- Blank lines means it is no way crafteable by anyone.

Quote from: "smiley"Does the analyze skill do anything?  When I try to use it the prompt comes up immediately and nothing happens.  I've waited for a while to see if it takes a long time to analyzing something is a long process and still gotten no result.  Not even from items that I can craft.

Smiley specified - "Not even from items that I can craft." If he knows he can craft it, but isn't getting any analyze echo, then wouldn't that mean there's some kind of bug? Or maybe he only thinks he can craft it because it is an object that would fall within his realm of crafting.

Such as - finding a purple polkadotted longsword, and he has the weaponcraft skill. Yes, the purple polkadotted longsword IS a weapon, which would fall under his area of "expertise." But if it isn't coded as craftable he will not be able to see anything with "analyze." If, however, the same longsword IS craftable, and he IS a weaponcrafter, and is NOT getting anything from analyze, then doesn't that mean there's something wrong with the code?

And just to make sure there's no mistake: I am not smiley.

Why not give back an echo instead of blank lines?  those are just confusing, misleading, and annoying.  It especially doesn't help people who haven't used analyze much before.  Just add a line like "You don't think you could ever craft something like this."

QuoteSuch as - finding a purple polkadotted longsword, and he has the weaponcraft skill. Yes, the purple polkadotted longsword IS a weapon, which would fall under his area of "expertise." But if it isn't coded as craftable he will not be able to see anything with "analyze." If, however, the same longsword IS craftable, and he IS a weaponcrafter, and is NOT getting anything from analyze, then doesn't that mean there's something wrong with the code?

You receive neither message B or C in my above post the item is not crafteable. There is no craft-code on the item whatsoever.

Even if the item is crafteable by a tribe your not a member of you receive a specific message like:
The style is unfamiliar to you, and you're not sure how to replicate it.

If you receive a blank line after analyze there is no craft-code in any way shape or form on the item. If you think it should be crafteable you can use the documentation off the main-page to write up a recipe and submit to either myself or mud@ginka.armageddon.org and we will see about getting it makeable.

QuoteWhy not give back an echo instead of blank lines? those are just confusing, misleading, and annoying. It especially doesn't help people who haven't used analyze much before. Just add a line like "You don't think you could ever craft something like this."

because ideally all items will be crafteable. I'll see about having the helpfile (if there is one) updated to reflect the blank-line thing.

Gilvar.. Ever going to answer my Forwarded email to you?

Would it be ideal to "idea" Something with what we think it is made of?
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

Email is best, as there are sometimes lots of ideas and things get flooded away.