Character Approval

Started by Mordere, April 11, 2004, 08:36:34 PM

This may or may not have been asked before, there's just too many posts for me to read over.

I understand the need for character approval, and think it's a great tool to keep the mud from being flooded with newbies, jerks, and just plain people that want make a pain of themselves. However, is there such a thing as, or is there any plan to make such a thing as, a list where players who have proven through multiple applications that they are capable of writing responsible, detailed, acceptable character submissions can be just greased through the process?

A sort of "No wait period necessary" list?

I haven't been rejected in awhile, but I'd be against it.

It would lead to slacking.  Believe me.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

What kind of slacking? My description and history ain't exactly Tolstoy's War and Peace, and it will never be. Still, it's passable enough under any circumstances. They both might be a little stock, but it works.

Maybe once an account has been given a karma level, apps for characters with races a level below the current karma level can have the option of getting a free-pass through. Of course, if you wanted, you would still have the option of getting all your applications reviewed by an Immortal in case you had any niggling doubts.

My non-descript human warrior who was a farmboy from the outlying Nakki farms, or my non-descript elven thief from the rinth ... I doubt they'll ever be rejected.

Personally, it doesn't bother me so much, even though I've only been rejected once, and that was because I forgot to add APPROVED BY BHAGHARVA at the top of my character background.

What can I say?  There needs to be some point in my life where I'm not playing KankMUD.
Back from a long retirement

Still, the wait on a normal app is at most 24 hours, most often a lot quicker.  And if you submit your next char right after your last dies, its generally best to have a waiting time.

Nah, the wait isnt that long and you can always take a little break from the game and ponder your next character.  There is never a rush to have the next character out there for any IC reason and letting people slide through OOCly is asking for trouble.

System works as it is, I say keep it.

no.. I'm in favor of keeping the current system..
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

The application process serves another purpose and thats NOT letting players create mundane character after mundane character, never living over a few minutes etc. It lets people think about their character, put time into an even short app, and lets us possibly reject people for A) making characters too similar to the ones before them, or any of a number of things that while not grammatically or codewise wrong, but just inaccurate. Like even high karma characters have done messups, and thats what the app process is there for.

It also forces a break on you. So you can't just die and remake a new character and be in game in moments.

The process will probably alway be there. The closest thing you'll get is a quicker process. As it has over the years.

I personally think things are fine.  I have went a good two years without ever getting an application rejected, yet just one character ago I got one sent back for a grammar error in the description.  I don't think anyone is perfect and I think it helps to have someone give it a once over.  To be honest, 24 hours is not a long time to wait.  If that 24 hour wait period (which generally is much shorter) is really killing you, consider it a blessing to go out and do something constructive, like take walk.

Even the immortals have to wait for approvals.

:shock:
Bhagharva the Purulent Carcass

I say leave it, and it's fine.  Noone is perfect and liable to make mistakes.  Let others proofread because people DO get irritated by having to deal with 'the prussy womn wit lng hare'
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Considering some mistakes do manage to get through, even with approval, can you imagine how many there would be if the staff didn't make corrections?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

"If it ain't broken, don't fix it."

It is good as it is. :)

I tend to agree.. There needs to be a cool down time for people.. I think 24 hours is a good rule of thumb.. Though it's not always 24 hours. I've known of an app getting approved in less than an hour. I've had one of mine approved in less than three. I don’t know about you.. But I am always a slight bit heated when I loose a PC that I really like. The idea that you have to put some time into creating your next PC.. leads one to think that you will actually be careful playing the PC. It also adds something that the imm's read over every new PC, keeping the game world in order. Plus I always end up with a typo or grammatical error in my PCs .. No matter how many times I read them over.

Besides having a greased application process with only open the gates for PC's like Jmordetsky's Destro PC finding their way past the cracks..

Seriously though, I like things just fine the way they are.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I like the fact someone else has to read about my idea. Maybe its strange, but there are details from background you will maybe never tell anyone...  As well, I like the fact someone did read the description before I strated to play. If nothing else, I can be sure there are no grammar mistakes in it (I hope!) :-)

Quote from: "Mar"...before I strated to play...
Spelling errors too, huh?  :wink:
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Yes! Indeeeeeeed! All mistakes!  :lol:

Spawnloser beat me too it.  :D
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I love the approval process, even if it's only human.  I've had a characters, that after checking myself, double checking after I've entered and having the immortals check, that still have typos that drive me nuts!  :)

heres why it's a good idea

Agamemnon the uber-1337 80 day warrior with an actual STEEL sword! just died outside tuluk.

2 minutes later Agame, oddly enough from the same account at Agamemnon, the 1 minute Whiran happens to wander upon the corpse of Agamemnon and grabs  the sword, shouting triumph and proceeding to use the sword for whatever magickers might use steel..cash, weapon, etc. etc. etc.
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)