Combined Weekly Update for April 3 and April 10, 2004

Started by Sanvean, April 11, 2004, 03:15:35 PM

News
We're still soliciting player histories for the staff documentation. Anything's fair game for a write-up of your character. What do you want remembered about your character? What did s/he do, and who did s/he interact with? What would other members of her/his clan remember, what stories would the grandchildren tell? Write-ups of past clans, including the slew of player-created desert elf tribes, are also quite welcome. Let us immortalize you. Send your emails to sanvean@armageddon.org and zhaira@armageddon.org

We're currently #8 on TopMUDSites - thanks for voting!

Code and Scripting News:
Updates to staff monitoring code (Morgenes)
Northern jail code updated (Nessalin)
Clan added (Nessalin)
Tweak to pluralization code (Nessalin)
Stabling code updated (Nessalin)
Updates to NPC save code  (Nessalin)
Update to Hall of Kings so nomads will get correct accent (Nessalin)
2 new skills, axemaking and clubmaking, added to merchant guild - if you think you should have them, please put something about it in your objective. Thank Gilvar for fleshing out these skills and switching some over as necessary (Sanvean)
Several forageable items added (Gilvar and Sanvean)
Crash bug fixed (Tenebrius)
Update to time code (Tiernan)
Crafting additions: axe making (3), club making (2), jewelrymaking (13), lumberjacking (3),  skinning (1), spear making (1), stonecrafting (2), sword making (1), tool making (1), woodworking (1). Numerous updates and conversions. (Gilvar) 1 armor crafting from Ix Machina. Bandagemaking, cooking and spear making updates from Vendyra.

World Changes and Additions:
Labyrinth echoes from JCruise, Ralin, Ravyn and Rekcah (Adhira, Nidhogg)
12 NPCs for Kadius, 10 NPCs for UnderTuluk (Ashyom)
Kadian shop updates (Ashyom)
Sun Runner camp updates (Bhagharva)
Object updates and 2 objects (Ix Machina)
1 NPC tattoist + 14 tattoos (Ix Machina)
2 items from Kaltan, 5 items from Regur (Laeris)
Tuluki mount updates (Laeris)
Object description updates (Laeris)
6 NPCs for UnderTuluk from Bakha (Laeris)
11 NPCs for Tuluk (Laeris)
Added 3 shops in Tuluk (Laeris)
Adjustments to NPCs in Tuluk (Myrdryn)
6 objects, 1 NPC (Myrdryn)
Object updates for Tenneshi (Raesanos)
Taste messages from Amoeba (1), Alaron (1), Dakkon (1), IxMachina (1) (Sanvean)
1 NPC, 3 objects, 10 rooms (Sanvean)
One item and spearmaking submission by OxidizedLizard (Vendyra)
Two rooms and one object from Soltun (Vendyra)
Winrothol estate and object updates (Vendyra)
Templar script updates on NPCs (Zhaira)

Documentation News:
Helpfiles added:
SKILL_AXE_MAKING, SKILL_CLUB_MAKING (written by Gilvar)

Webpages Updated:
http://www.armageddon.org/general/guilds.html (references to clerics removed, thanks Ashyom)
http://www.armageddon.org/general/pregnancy.html (Tweaked for new time system, thanks Ashyom)
http://www.armageddon.org/general/troubleshooting.html (credit changed at author's request)

Webpages Added:
Staff page added (Nessalin)
Staff page added (Vendyra)

Bugs/typos/ideas:
Alaron (2),  Amoeba (1), AMoore (3), AngelaChristine (2), Angelwrath (2), Brace (1), Cblkwell(1), Delirium (8),  Duncan (1), Elzocone (1), Gilvar (3), Hitomi (2), Hoodwink (2), Isls (1), Ix Machina (6), Jaleeza (3), Julian (1), Kai (2), Laeris (1), Lorain (1), Louten (2), Marc (1), Mekeda (2), Myrdryn (3), Nard (1), Nari (4), Narlac (2), Phoenix (2), Refta (1), Rtd (1), Valen (1),  Vendyra (1), Vox (1), Williamson (1), Wizturbo (2), Xygax (1), Zwen (4), Zhaira (2)
Fixers included Ix Machina, Mekeda, Raesanos, Sanvean, Vendyra

Staff and Clan News:
New Storytellers: Adhira, Ammit, Dakurus, and Naiona
New Highlords: Kivan, Raesanos, and Vendyra

Current Open Clan Assignments:
Allanak Templarate and Militia: Kivan@armageddon.org and
Naiona@armageddon.org
Anyali: Louten@armageddon.org
Atrium: Adhira@armageddon.org and Vendyra@armageddon.org
Bards of Poets Circle: Sanvean@armageddon.org
House Borsail: Kivan@armageddon.org and Wachabe@armageddon.org
Desert Elves: Bhagharva@armageddon.org and Myrixt@armageddon.org
The Guild: Nidhogg@armageddon.org, Tiernan@armageddon.org and Xygax@armageddon.org
Haruch Kemad: Bhagharva@armageddon.org and Myrixt@armageddon.org
House Kadius: Ashyom@armageddon.org and Sanura@armageddon.org
House Kurac: Gesht@armageddon.org and Mekeda@armageddon.org
Northern Templarate and Militia: Myrdryn@armageddon.org and Laeris@armageddon.org
House Nenyuk: Ammit@armageddon.org and Kurano@armageddon.org
House Oash: Ashyom@armageddon.org and Nechomacus@armageddon.org
House Salarr: Ixmachina@armageddon.org and Xygax@armageddon.org
Tan Muark: Naephet@armageddon.org
House Tenneshi: Dakurus@armageddon.org and Raesanos@armageddon.org
House Tor: Gilvar@armageddon.org and Sanura@ginka.armageddon.org
T'zai Byn: Tlaloc@armageddon.org
House Winrothol: Ammit@armageddon.org and Vendyra@armageddon.org

Special applications should be sent to Naephet@armageddon.org

There are 27146 rooms, 18533 objects, and 6490 npcs in the game.
2980 objects are craftable (16% of database)
99 applications approved, 51 edited, 16 rejected (April 3)
75 applications approved, 52 edited, 11 rejected (April 10)

These player histories... Are there any requirements? Is this only for characters still living, or ones that are deceased as well? I'd like to know more about this, it seems interesting.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

In the "Bugs/typos/ideas" section, are these ones that have been submitted or ones that have actually been fixed?

The total number of rooms amazes me every single time I look at the list. And it feels good to know that there are 26800 more that I have not already seen to discover.  :D

This HAS to be one of the largest MUDs (world size) out there... right?

*looks again*
*still stunned*

QuoteThese player histories... Are there any requirements? Is this only for characters still living, or ones that are deceased as well?

I'm glad to get either. These are going in staff-visible documentation, so you do not need to worry about giving away IC information. If we ever close down the game, I'll make sure they are visible to people at that time, and at some point we'll go through and create versions for the public website (not until well after a character has passed into obscurity)

QuoteIn the "Bugs/typos/ideas" section, are these ones that have been submitted or ones that have actually been fixed?

These are things that were fixed this week.

i read the helpfiles to axe_making.
Does anyone get it that can use chopping weapons?
Could rangers, Assasins, whatever else get that?
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Sanvean"If we ever close down the game, I'll make sure they are visible to people at that time, and at some point we'll go through and create versions for the public website (not until well after a character has passed into obscurity)

Please no more speaking of closing down the game!

Thanks!

Actually I like the idea of historical figures being recognized for their accomplishments.  It makes people feel like a lot more is possible if they can see what other actual players have done on their own.
We all become what we pretend to be.  -Rothfuss

Quotei read the helpfiles to axe_making.
Does anyone get it that can use chopping weapons?
Could rangers, Assasins, whatever else get that?

No... for the same reason a warrior, who theorhetically could use any weapon, could not make them.

Your probably refering to:
"Skilled crafters and those accustomed to the use of axes are often
able to produce such implements from raw materials."

which is misleading tp some extent, but I just merely mooched off the other helpfiles related to weapon creation.

Alright, Let us say I was a ranger, That used and mastered bludgeoning,
i wouldn't be able to make a club? even though I would be accostemed to it?
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

No, for the same reason that if you were a warrior and mastered the club you would not. You can try petitioning the mud (mud@ginka.armageddon.org) to have this added, but for now its just a pair of new skills used by the same people that have all the other weaponmaking skills.

Are those with the weaponsmaking subguild going to get these too?
laloc Wrote
Trust, I think, is the most fundamental tool which allows us to play this game. Without trust, we may as well just be playing a Hack and Slash, and repopping in Midgaard after slaying a bunch of Smurfs.