How to use a bolo

Started by Smiley, April 07, 2004, 12:36:30 AM

I recently purchased a bolo from a weapon tent.  I figured there would be a help file to show how to use it but I can't find one.  Do you just throw it at someone and if you hit them it ties them up?

It basically just pummels them with the giant stone balls. Not like those nifty spinning things you see that tie up people's legs.

I think he means he wants the syntax, not "what is a bolo?"

I'm not sure, having never used one in the game, but a bolo in real life is something you'd throw from a distance. If "throw" doesn't work, try "shoot." There are helpfiles for both.
ugar and Spice

Throw works.

> ep bolo
> l west
Near to the west:
A menacing cloaked figure
> throw cloaked west
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

From reading Smiley's post, I surmise Gilvar's reply was a proper one, but could do with some fleshing out.
Let's do just that:

The way to use a bolo is to simply throw it. There are no special syntaxes for using a bolo to specifically trip someone, and it's more of a thrown pummeling weapon here in this game.

Furthermore, the syntax to throw things must include the item you wish to throw. 'throw bolo figure north'

Editted, because I'm dumb.

...I have no further comment.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

But -shouldn't- the bolo wrap around the person's ankles and drag them to the ground?  Wouldn't that be a lot more practical?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Whether a bolo (or any other throwing weapon) can knock someone down is IC senstive information.  Pick one up and try it.  Find out for yourself.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Whether a bolo (or any other throwing weapon) can knock someone down is IC senstive information.  Pick one up and try it.  Find out for yourself.

Agreed.

I have found out and I didn't like the outcome.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Why is knowing whether a bolo ties up something's legs (which by the definition of a bolo it should) considered IC info?  In fact by asking around in game a character should be told a bolo does tie up the target's legs.  Just as a character should be told food rots even though code wise it dosn't.  It would be stupid for a Byn sargent to teach her soldiers that all bolo's in the world are defective and don't seem to ever tie up anybodies legs even though they should.  It seems to me that bolos not tripping people is an OOC thing, the code hasn't been implemented for whatever reason. I don't see how asking if a bolo trips people is any different than asking if a cup can hold water, or if a torch can start a brush fire.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, for they multiply the number of mankind.

Quote from: "uberjazz"I have found out and I didn't like the outcome.
You may have found out something, but I have a feeling you haven't found the truth yet.

As to what a dull black gem said, things are more realistic than you may think.  I won't say how realistic though, as it is a matter of the code that you should find out yourself.  Perhaps I shouldn't have said it was IC info...I still should have said to find out in game.

You missed their legs I guess. Keep trying?
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.