RE: The child question again (sorry!)

Started by Tamarin, April 06, 2004, 01:07:05 PM

I thought it was pretty clear I was referring to a clanned role of upped standards (not necessarily noble, merchant aide offspring perhaps) and not the common dirt poor street kid. Either that, or tribal. I would both consider roles with fun potentials for a PC child (IF it was possible.) I pointed out that such a role would have to be embedded in a strong social network to be of interest, and add to the game and entertainment of others. A half-starved street kid without skills, without father and a mother too busy to pay attention would NOT be fun to play.

I am aware any Zalanthan child, rinthi or commoner or noble, would be busy with activities other than play. In many cases, nearly no play. I would consider a noble child's lessons enjoyable roleplay as well. I was picking my examples randomly, I didnt try to present them in a way to prove everyone exactly how much I know about culture and the details of daily schedules... I dont, really. But I have common sense.

There are toy shops in Zalanthas... ever seen those? I never see any of those objects put to use. But they exist. VNPCs obviously have a demand for them, otherwise the shop would close down.

You dont have to lecture me about harshness, I am well aware what the Armageddon version of the world is about. I was referring to a special role that would be fun for everyone involved. NOT one that represents the large majority of the population. Adult PCs dont exactly represent the average Zalanthan either, right?

Quote from: "sarahjc"Who is to say that a child PC would be so demanding on adult PC's..

Who is to say that they don't have a job at age 8 at one of the local taverns carting around trays of ale and cleaning up puke and spills for a 50 coins a month and spend their free time hiding under a tavern table playing with a flithy headless doll? Someone's got to do that job right?

Sorry, quoting myself here to restate a point but…

I think you should let the players decide what is fun to play.. instead of deciding for them. Just because a role may be difficult, does not mean it is not fun.. Let's face it, not everyone on Zalanthas can rise to become an uber-hunter of greatness. Being a low-class struggling, grimy, parentless child, might just be fun. And don't we have enough uber-hunter of greatness really?

But yes, you can make a case for both fifthly and poor kids as well as rich a pristine ones. I personally think a rich kid might be boring, but that's just me. Any role can be fun to play... all depends on what you want to accomplish with it... I can understand a need to limit such roles, but I don't see why they need be taken away.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Quote from: "Akaramu"A virtual child cannot surprise you, cannot develop something creative on their own, without you knowing about it already, and cannot speak.
Btw... is wrong to make VNPC child speak? Indeed, there is problem with languages, but...
Just curious.