Physical greetings

Started by Oxidised Lizard, March 31, 2004, 03:10:38 PM

There seems to be a bit too much nodding going on to me...  Every time somebody sees somebody else they know, they nod to them, or incline their head (I do do this myself).  Or else they smile at them, although this is not quite as common as nodding.  Any suggestions for other acknowledgment or greeting emotes to add a bit of variety from the plain old nod?
8)

A lot of tribes have specific greetings that are way different from nodding and personally I like the good ole' fashioned wave.

What about tapping near the eye. Acknowledging you see them?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I like clicking my tongue twice and making the Benjari sign of the Harvest in the air with my right hand, while the other holds up two fingers in their direction, the traditional 'wave' of his tribal subsect.

I know people like it, because they respond with the usual motions which are looking confused, taking a few steps back and walking away.

How about an Arsenio Hall-type pumping of the fist accompanied by a "Lady Oash in da House!"

Or maybe not.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

<xyz> nods at you.
>draw steel
>draw steel
>emote charges into <xyz> letting out a warcry
>bash <xyz>
>say -grinning How'ya doin'?
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

I don't know... walking down the hallways at work, I do some nodding.

Just a simple, recognized form of acknowledgement.  Same in the game.  I see you, I acknowledge you.  

Besides ":nods to ~wigglechops" is easier than typing out something more complex, and gets the message across.

Mix it up with "bobs his head toward,"  and "gives a quick dip of his head to", maybe an "inclines his forehead in acknowledgement in the direction of" and you're probably good to go.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with ":greets ~wigglechops", either.  Let -her- decide how you greeted her.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I find I nod too much which might be why my neck has a crink in it sometimes.

Where I grew up, the main way you greeted someone if you saw them in school or whatever was a sort of nod.  Basically you saw them, made eye contact, then you lifted your chin.  It was a latino, I'm tough kind of place.

I would think there would be two kinds of nods.  One deferential, where you dip your chin downwards in a nod.  And one more of an equal to equal, or even slightly hostile, where you lift your chin.  Of course, I'm probably letting RL bleed over here too much.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: "Twilight"I would think there would be two kinds of nods.  One deferential, where you dip your chin downwards in a nod.  And one more of an equal to equal, or even slightly hostile, where you lift your chin.  Of course, I'm probably letting RL bleed over here too much.

If you are, I'm guilty of the same thing with one of my past characters..

The people she felt equal to, knew on a casual basis, or knew she was able to take on she'd lift her chin in a nod to.

The people she was deferential or polite to would get a dip of the chin for a nod.

It's funny, because I never really realized she was doing it at first until I thought about it one day, and then I just sorta chuckled and made it one of her standard quirks, and she did it from that day on 'til her death.

Nostalgia, sorry. My main point was that I don't see anything wrong with it, and in fact it seems like different forms of that sort of body language would be right in place in Zalanthas.

I'm not a big fan of body-contact for mainstream greeting gestures. Why? Cause everyone's sweaty and dirty. That and I don't like body contact as a greeting gesture IRL as people tend to be sweaty and dirty in Australia (next year the government says they're going to introduce indoor plumbing :D)

I agree with the too much nodding.  Bobbleheads are fun to watch, though.  Sometimes as a greeting I'll generically "em raises his hand in a greeting to ~you" or look over and "em smiles and lifts his hand to ~you"  

If I'm playing a soldier, I'd rather salute than nod.   Amongst peers and non-officers the salute is casual, lazy. . a greeting rather than a crisp, firm sign of respect and deference.  

I try not to smile much.   I'd rather go monkeyman and when I bare my teeth at you it doesn't mean "I'm just kidding" or "Hi!" or "Gee, you're funny!" . . instead it means, "I'm about to bite you."

I always preferred lifts a hand in parting...
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."