Playerbase distribution

Started by crymerci, March 31, 2004, 01:17:39 PM

How well is the playerbase distributed?

Pretty well--neither crowded nor empty.
32 (41.6%)
It's a little crowded everywhere, open some more options.
6 (7.8%)
It's kinda crowded in the cities, but we need more folks in iso clans.
15 (19.5%)
Seems kinda empty in the cities, close some iso clans.
8 (10.4%)
Seems kinda empty everywhere...is everyone hiding?
16 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Voting closed: April 30, 2004, 02:17:39 PM

How well do you think the playerbase is distributed?  Are certain areas too crowded, too sparse? I'm just sort of curious here, and I am not trying to start an pro/anti-iso-clan thread so don't make it into that.

Obviously each of us will only have the perspective of our current region but it should still give an overall idea.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Gemmed! We need gemmed ones! The only one I saw for long was an animated one by the imms.. Or was that? I'm not sure.. And yes.. I'm visiting other temples from time to time for IC reasons. This is my first magicker and it would be nice to chatter with other ones.

Ive seen a lot of magickers come and go lately in nak...contrary to what youre saying.

Although not an unpropotional number either. Like too many. *Shrug*
Veteran Newbie

I've been to both north and south recently and it seems that both areas have PC's all over them. However It's rarely ever so spammy that it's disruptive. At the same time it's rarely ever so quiet that it's boring out. I think we're doing pretty well. It's still my dream to have around 150 PC's on a peak hours. Imagine all the rooms of the Barrel, Gaj and Traders filled with PC's. The specific classes, from mercs, to nobles all in the right place becuase they don't all crowd into one bar  looking for intereaction. God will that rock.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Definitely need more gemmed.

A place to buy food and drink in the Quarter with some tables and chairs - doesn't have to be a tavern per se, could be right in the square - as well as an OOC board, could go a LONG way toward helping PC gemmed mages find each other, I think.

The cities seem pretty well populated other than that, though. Hopefully we'll see some spread to iso clans, and have them all fill up to a decent size.

I've always lobbied for more additions to the game in terms of little villages, etc. I still advocate this. While I don't want to see more cities, more villages are fine. I think the cities are fine as they are. I think that if the selection is limited in the new places openned, the cities will -never- lose signifigant population.

Even a better idea perhaps, would be for one or both city-states to fracture, destroyed in some sorta event, or for one of the kings to die and thus cause a civil war, and the population to spread out, making new locations of civilization.

A traveling trader, in this manner, would be more apt, and I think have a more desertish, desperate view on life. I'd expect most of the Merchant Houses, if not all, to have their own locations, as well, with perhaps a few Noble Houses running villages.

Well, just my two sid.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

You know, it's kinda weird. I think it's because the game world has gotten bigger but I don't notice people out in the wilds anymore. I can go for days and days without ever seeing another PC. Im talking RL days. IC days it can be half a month even.

But that means its good in the cities, and thats where most people play. Not to mention, I suppose it is a bit realistic that there's few people out in the middle of nowhere (especially where my current PC lives which is.. ridiculously dangerous).  However, I'd still like to see more people in clans and tribes that live off the land.

People seem well distributed to me.

Quote from: "Pungee"You know, it's kinda weird. I think it's because the game world has gotten bigger but I don't notice people out in the wilds anymore. I can go for days and days without ever seeing another PC.

Probably too many ugly death elves.  ;)  I've run into more would-be wilderness PKers than usuall in the last few months, that has a chilling effect on desert travel.  It also makes travelers more likely to turn and go the other way when they see a stranger three rooms away.  Six months ago I'd try some cautious conversation, now I avoid being in the same wilderness room with a stranger unless I'm very near a city.  Nothing like a giant or a few delves parking on the roads to make people avoid the roads.  :P

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"Probably too many ugly death elves.  ;)
Hehehe... Shhh.. Don't let the nobility find out.

Quote from: "Angela Christine"I've run into more would-be wilderness PKers than usuall in the last few months, that has a chilling effect on desert travel.  It also makes travelers more likely to turn and go the other way when they see a stranger three rooms away.

Heh, now that only is a detriment if you play a character with little combat skills. I usually play the types that can deal with bandits or handle them in some fashion. I like walking right up to them and having a nice, casual conversation with my weapons drawn. Bwahahahaha. Even more fun is if you play a magicker and don't have any weapons at all but you talk to them as if you were Tek himself.  8)

To me, the playerbase seems to go through phases.  A while ago, there was just a horde of bynners in 'nak.  A little after that, the Tooth would have 10-15 players chatting every night.  Sometimes there are a lot of sid miners outside of nak.  Stuff moves arounds randomly as trends draw new characters to various areas of the game.  If we had more players, all we'd see is these shifting groups getting larger and larger.  I'm not sure if its really possible to spread the playerbase evenly, because players will naturally clump together.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

This discussion keeps coming up, it's never going to end. I raised it once, and learned through posts by Immortals and the like that the discussion comes up frequently, and the playerbase moves around.

It came up for me because I didn't see a lot of players on, which is boring. But the truth is, the population is very well distributed, it isn't too thin. There aren't a huge population of players in tribes in the far reaches of the Known World that I know of, the majority of the population is extremely concentrated in the cities, with a bit less in the tribes near the cities, then there are some indies. and that's pretty much it, except for all the evil dudes and the occasional minion.

This is all an opinion based on some of the facts and observances I've seen.

The only reason I asked is because (it seems like) we've seen a decent growth in overall playerbase in the past year or so.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I think there are far too many pcs in the game with more /_337 gear than mine.

Some of you are gonna lose your pcs.

REAL soon!   :twisted:
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

I'm with Naatok. Me and you should team up! Yeah. An elf/half-giant team seems like a good idea. Get brains and brawns all together. Yeah yeah. We can get them good.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "naatok"I think there are far too many pcs in the game with more /_337 gear than mine.

Some of you are gonna lose your pcs.

REAL soon!   :twisted:

Bring it.

Bitch.

:P
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

I never seem to see enough Rinthers.

Then again, Rinthers are a sneaky bunch.

Ok, so the thread's a few months dead. I still had to agree with the post above. Since I started, I've played three 'rinthers. Two humans and an elf. Admittedly, they didn't last long, mostly from my starving imps goofing a steal off an npc and me forgetting to switch my nosave before the guards got to me *sob*. But with three characters, two lasting a couple RL weeks each (the other one lasting two days) and knowing where one of the seeming 'common' places in the rinth you'd expect people to meet.. I can count on one hand the number of other PC Rinthers they met, in or out of the northern part of the city.

My only other complaint (not really) is... Why the hell isn't anyone else on at 4am for me to play with?!

That's my pointless addition to a dead thread.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

I find that there aren't enough players in the Zalanthas area, while there are tons too many in Midgaard and the Super Saiyan Space Station.