Me and my lack of internet

Started by Akaramu, March 25, 2004, 03:29:48 AM

For those of you not in my clan who will wonder why I'm never around, my cable modem was shut down for possibly several weeks because of an administrative problem. I can check the GDB and email from work, but thats about it. Maybe I'll get a 56k modem next week.

:evil:

And I'm online again, with my crappy new 56k modem. No more Arm from public computers, cheers.

Congratulations, 56K is more than enough for mudding, I use a 28.8 myself.

You may want to alter your browser settings though, some web pages can be slow through a non-highspeed modem.  Personally I keep pictures, animations and javascript turned off unless there is something I really want to see.  It speeds things up a bit.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"Congratulations, 56K is more than enough for mudding, I use a 28.8 myself.
Wow... I... didn't know they made such a thing... :|

Quote from: "Angela Christine"Congratulations, 56K is more than enough for mudding, I use a 28.8 myself.
I didn't know modern ISPs could communicate with such an old modem  :shock:

Quote from: "Loner"
Wow... I... didn't know they made such a thing... :|

They don't, but they did in 1996.  ;)  Most of the parts in the computer I'm using at the moment were made around 1995.  It's amazing how long computers can keep chugging along if you avoid reading the advertisements for new stuff.  :P

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Hey, it's cool, whatever lets you play Arm, aye?

Think of all of the posts that AC has posted over the years.  

Now imagine ALL that data oozing its way through a 28.8 modem.

Wow...
laloc Wrote
Trust, I think, is the most fundamental tool which allows us to play this game. Without trust, we may as well just be playing a Hack and Slash, and repopping in Midgaard after slaying a bunch of Smurfs.

Quote from: "John"
I didn't know modern ISPs could communicate with such an old modem  :shock:

Modems are wonderful things. You could call a modern ISP with a 300 baud acoustic coupler modem if you wanted to. They'll always negotiate down to the lowest common denominator. Basic modem technology hasn't changed in a long, long time.

And for text mudding, or whatever, 2400 bps is plenty fast enough. I mudded for years with one, before I got my first 28.8K in college. Even at 2400 bps, the data comes in faster than I can read. Of course, that was before web browsing and such...

-S