Shovels, Axes, and Headaches

Started by Kade, March 22, 2004, 10:12:44 PM

It seems to me that things such as woodcutting axes and such other tools that need a specific location are unusually hard to use OOCly, and have little documentation on them.

It rather bothers me to find out I dont have enough mana to use an axe, or can't for the life of my character figure out the syntax to use things such as a shovel.

Any thoughts on this?

assess -v is your friend. So is view, especially now that it's been tweaked.

Use view to see things that the trader offers, such as:

view #4 (where #4 is "an obsidian-bladed axe).

Use assess -v to see things that you already possess or that are in the room on the floor.

Yes, I know that, it doesn't make sense to me that a shovel, something that I picture as being able do dig up rocks with, would tell me it works well for skinning, and doesnt mention digging, or rocks whatsoever.
Did I buy the wrong shovel?

Many items aren't 'use'd per se, but can instead help you along when 'held'. 'Hold' the item, and it might increase your chances of success with an action.

As for skinning with a shovel, well, there are many creatures on Zalanthas where brute force is far more suited than a small knife.

The command 'use' is rarely used. 'Help use', 'help forage' and http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5999 should grant you some needed, extra information.

Some items may not have any coded use or bonus what so ever and are just RP props. Keep that in mind as well.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I asked a helper about it 2 years ago, and I got told there was no way to know whether or not an item offered a coded boost, and to just use common sense and not worry about the code ;)

So a shovel may or may not offer coded support for "forage"ing rocks and stones. But if you think it makes sense to use a shovel, then by all means use a shovel ;)

Some items may not have any coded use or bonus what so ever and are just RP props. Keep that in mind as well.

Yes, but I still hate it when someone crafts a breastplate from a scrab shell with bare hands... C'mon! At least draw a dagger and emote that you're cutting the shell, then bending it.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

*sigh*

Well I suppose I might have bought some props, but I doubt the shovel at least is one.  It is two handed, and you need a free hand to forage you see.  As for the other things, I'll just ask around in Arm, maybe somebody in there can show me the ropes of where to find good stones, or if I need a certain tool to dig them up.  

I still think it is odd about that mana message though.

Thanks again for the info!
Kade