Short Lifespan of "Feature" Roles

Started by Petra, March 18, 2004, 07:18:34 PM

Do you think that the majority of "feature" roles (greater house merchants, nobles, and templars, specifically) tend to be short lived, often resulting in retirement?  It may be my login times, but from my viewpoint it does seem a bit of a trend.  The average templar (in Allanak, Tuluk doesn't seem to suffer the same dilemma, I've noted) seems to last a good three months before (s)he innevitably vanishes without a trace -- and I suspect they didn't meet some grandiose demise in-game, rather, they got bored.  The same holds true of some of the merchant and noble houses, a couple (who shall remain nameless), seem to never have a consistant playerbase.  I admit the possibility of being mistaken here, so don't quote me!

But... if you were to accept the above statement as true, what's the solution?  These roles are hard and ideally you shouldn't accept one unless you plan to stick around a long time.  So what can be done to make these roles more appealing (at least to those who are seasoned enough to even be able to play one to begin with)?  What sort of insentive can be offered to ensure anyone accepting/being approved for such a role sticks around?  Or do you think this isn't necessary and it's fine the way it is?

My take on the retirement issue is that it's a matter of expectation.

I don't know that when people take on these roles they always understand that part of their play will become work. They are just harder to play. Unlike many of the other roles that we play these require management skills, interpersonal skills and an investment of time.

Some additional issues include what do you do when your concept is personality driven rather than activity driven? Perhaps you always wanted to play the meanest templar in the south. Great. But what do you do all day, I mean besides sneering and insulting people, oh and the occassional mutilation? It can be difficult to find a focus that compels you on a day to day basis.

Too, there is a lot of pressure in these roles. Often they are, or become leadership positions. Suddenly, you are responsible not only for your own enjoyment, but the enjoyment of those you employ or lead.

Another challange is the conflict. I think the people who best thrive in these positions are those who enjoy making not only friends, but also enemies.

There is a lot of scrutiny in these positions. Imagine playing a templar in one of the cities and reading posts that say all the templars in that city suck. You need a hard skin.

Finally, in these positions often you are doing absolutely nothing or fifty things simultaneously.

My suggestions (these are Nidhogg's not the entire staff's) are these. First before starting to play address with the clan imm what you should or could be doing. Go in with some goals. Plan things out. Have both short term and long term goals. I find that sometimes unattainable goals are particularly fun, because once you get what you want you have to think of something else to strive for.

Avoid these roles if you do not like conflict. These roles attract angst and anger far more than any other in game.

Once playing, do not hire more people than you need or can handle. Hire judiciously. Once you take them on you're kind of stuck with them. For a while at least.

When burn out hits, go away for a day or two. Watch tv. Take a walk. Call your mom. (I know talking to my mom always makes me want to play Arm)

And finally communicate with your imm. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
idhogg

Ask me if I'm a tree

First, I would start out by saying that people cannot know what it is like to play a 'featured role' before trying. I think it is a good thing that we get to try, even if it is frustrating to everyone when these characters disappear.

Second, I will try to tell what kept me from retiring a fairly long lived character.

1. The Character:

a) It is important to like playing that person not just the position.

b) It is also important to like playing the position.

c) The other people. Friends and enemies. Or amiable people and annoying people. The conflict does keep interest up, even when it all happens just in the mind of the character. The 'friendly' people pump positive energy into a the game.

d) Other interests. The character having interests not required by the characters position.  

2. OOC

a) The excitement about the new things, initially. Gratitude for having been given the chance, against all odds.

b) Sheer stubborness.

c) Knowing that you do help people by doing your job. Just one note of 'thank you' can work wonders.

d) After all else failed writing to the Clan Imm. ( I recommend others not to wait that long).

e) Finally realising four things:

-I too have the right to do fun things. It is a job, certainly, but it  
            is also a game.

- While I have the responsibility of being available, giving people
             tasks and such, it doesn't mean 24/6 and some on Saturdays.

- I cannot entertain everyone all the time. I am, after all just
             a human being. My resourses are limited, the same could be
             said about the character.
             While I trying to provide people a framework, a reason for
             being there, I cannot make them have fun. That must come
             from them, their character. I can only stretch so far.

- I don't have to be perfect, my character can fail being perfect.
             It does not matter if all people do not like my way of playing,
             as long as those who matter do: those my character sees a lot
             and the Clan Imms.

Third, there are highs and lows in a character's lifespan. It is inevitable. I agree on taking time off when things get too stressful. Very few characters are so important that their absence for 2 days would be a problem. I have also noticed with several longer lived characters both on Arm and elsewhere, that there is are 'critical' times after a certain amount of played time. Everything just slows down, like trying to swim in molasses. Knowing that helps me to keep going, I tell myself that 'this too shall pass'.

And at that, I will take my own advice and go to bed for I am too tired to play right now.

One thing I've also noticed in this situation...

Is that while it's up to those in these special positions to provide roleplay and activity for other PCs, th eother PC's should realize that they need to take an active role in getting these assignments.

Never could I expect a noble to walk into somewhere like the Gaj and tell my unemployed character they have a vast range of opportunity waiting for me.

In a clan I was in, I saw several people come in, and ultimately leave, saying it was because they had nothing to do. I couldn't understand it, because the clan leaders were constantly keeping myself and one other busy enough that we always had some fun to take care of when we logged on.

The others, they just sat in a tavern all day silent.

Would have made a HUGE difference in their character's activities had they took a walk to a place where more nobles frequent, or if they had checked in with that noble's aide so the flippant and usually careless noble might remember them.

So my take on the short lived characters, is a lot of people expect too much.

Rememer, it is the Nobility's place to provide you with work, but it's also up to their players to play a Noble; and why would a noble actively seek out a commoner when he virtually has tons of servants and vnpc guards to assign?

Look for the adventure this noble has, and it will be assigned to you. but sit around all day and expect it, and more likely than not, you're going to miss out on what other people in the clan are being assigned to do, because you'd prefer to tavern dwell all day.

And in this happening, many noble/templarate characters become bored and retire, because while it's their job to help the PC's, they aren't getting a chance to do so, because very few people look for it.

I, personally, don't expect nobles or special-position characters to last more than three months. It's a demanding position that is easy to get burned out from.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

I know of one long-lived "feature" role who was created with some very lofty, long-term goals.  I don't actually know what the goals are, only that they're the kind of thing that will take a really long time to make happen.

One of the great things about these roles are that they put you in a position to change the world in a real way.  Maybe its adding new products to what your House sells.  Maybe its establishing a presence for your House somewhere new.  

Without big goals like that, I don't know how you would stay interested in that type of a character.  I know the one character of this type that I had did not have that type of goal, and I got bored fairly quickly.  Before I play another, I'll do some serious thinking about what sort of goals - big, long term goals - could make them fun for the long haul.
laloc Wrote
Trust, I think, is the most fundamental tool which allows us to play this game. Without trust, we may as well just be playing a Hack and Slash, and repopping in Midgaard after slaying a bunch of Smurfs.