Analyze

Started by Jookmaster, March 15, 2004, 03:44:20 PM

Is there some reason that when I use the analyze skill on a weapon I have skill with I get no response of any kind?  not a 'you have no idea what this is made of" or "this is made from..."  or not even something like "you begin to analyze the object"

Just wondering if i am doing somethng wrong here.

With Analyze, no response means that the item cannot be analyzed at all.  It is unusual in that it doesn't give you any other type of failure response.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Analyze is used to determine how an object was made, or how a replica could be made.

In other words, analyze is a skill that, assuming you have the proper skillage, tells you how you could craft an item like that.

Taking a travel cake, for example, would tell you that it's been made out of flour.

Not all items can be crafted, though.  If you take an item like that and try to analyze it, you will get no message at all.

Though I could be wrong.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

It just seems to me, that most weapons would have been crafted at some point.  They wouldn't have materialized out of thin air.

So I think that analyze should tell what something bought from a store would be made of, had it actually been crafted by a PC.  So if i wanted to recreate a particular item...instead of just buying it i could increase my skills and use up those items I have with me.

Quote from: "Sanvean"2824 objects are craftable (15% of database)
There are 27132 rooms, 18368 objects, and 6436 npcs in the game.

You likely have one of the 85% of the items that are not craftable.  Analyze shows you nothing because it was made from nothing (from a OOC point of view).   If you really want to be able to make it, think about what it would be made from, and submit it as a craftable item.

Think of it this way. Many items are made using "top secret formulae" held closely by Salarr, Kadius, Kurac, and various other merchant-type groups and individuals.

ICly, being able to analyze something means that you now have the formula, even though OOCly, all it means is you know what materials are needed.

If you look at or examine an object you'll see clearly what it's made of (most of the time) and analyze isn't really needed. If you want to know the exact formula, you need to either analyze it, or be a member of the clan that holds the patent, so to speak.