What made you join?

Started by Trenidor, March 13, 2004, 07:39:43 PM

Quote from: "X-D"Many many years ago in a galaxy far far away called perilouse realms,(which is still running by the way) a H&S mud that I had gone to because I was bored with epic mud, I'm playing my level 140/120 mage warrior when somebody gossiped about a darksun RP mud that had just opened to public, unlimited pk.

I was like, darksun, unlimited pk and rp...gotta check it out. So, I went, made a half-giant stone cleric. He was validated in under 48 hours I might add, entered the game sat down at the fountain in tuluk, started practicing spells and reading docs. To tell you the truth, it was the spell system at the time that kept me playing, later it was the RP that brought me back time after time.

Holy shit, you came from PR also?  That's awesome.  I was coding there when I heard about Arm and decided to check it out.  I'm interested to find out who you were on PR.
We all become what we pretend to be.  -Rothfuss

I was playing Darkemud at the time, and one of the Imms was talking about some mud which he thought was really cool because he was stuck somewhere in Allanak, drunk, penniless and starving with no idea where to find water or food. For some reason I thought that sounded cool and I decided to check Arm out. That was like 8 years ago, my first character was a half giant ranger. I only played him for maybe a month tops and then I didn't play muds at all until my reg date on the GDB here. Anyone else here from Darkemud? :P

I played on a hack and slash mud (Darkemud) for a few years, and IMMed on another hack and slash mud (Daybreak Ridge) for a few years before I got totally burnt out on mudding.

Then spawnloser started playing Armageddon, and that got me interested in mudding again, because I saw how much roleplay is involved.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I played a graphical game called underlight, which claims to be rp immersive. I wanted more immersive. I also wanted to be able to have a greater affect on the game world and to be more effected by it. I found Mudconnector and looked for a post-apocalyptic mud (visions of a boy and his dog) and ended up here.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: "Barzalene"I played a graphical game called underlight, which claims to be rp immersive.

I played Underlight, too. Who were you, in the dream? :P
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Annabel
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I found it while typing in random addresses in the address bar.

Luckily I had started MUDing a couple months before with some mostly-stock CircleMUDs, and didn't just dismiss Arm on the spot.

How badly Achaea sucked.

Sanvean made me join.

She had a gun...

Quote from: "Anonymous"Sanvean made me join.

She had a gun...

She must trust you alot...I mean, I would only do the gun thing if I trusted that they would actually play it right.

Or it could be that you're a psycopath that would fit into the assassinry guild just fine, who knows if she trusts you....
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Quote from: "Barzalene"Annabel

Never heard of you. I went by Callisto.

Were you around for the "feathered football" theft? That was hilarious.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

I started playing muds because of the book "Playing MUDs on the Internet" by Rawn Shah and Jim Romine. It has some great stories about muds and explains how to play them but is more focused on Hack and Slash than RP. Still, it got me started playing MUDs and in particular this one.

Bushranger
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

My friend started playing, me and him have played a few tabletop RPGs together and said it would help ease the urge to RP inbetween campaigns. 10 minutes, I was hooked. That was 2 years ago.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I was looking through mpogd for something to do a few years back when I first found Materia Magika or something like that. It was alot of fun, but it became boring after a while and I started going through a few muds at topmudsites. Came to Armageddon after Dartmud and a few Tolkien based muds and have decided to stay.

I really like the perma-death and skills set up of Armageddon. It's nice that the mud is level-less and limits your skills to your guild without making it feel like your limited skills are stopping you from doing what you want to do. The low amount of magick also drew me here, since I had gotten really tired of people hurling fireballs and thunderbolts and what not. This could go on on so instead of doing it here, I'm going to go post a review.

I came through Ottawa's Freenet.

A friend of mine showed me it while I was in his basement.  Made a character, attacked a mob in Allanak, was killed by soldiers - respawned only to be attacked and killed again when I tried to do a corpse retrieval...

Next character was some magic class - I believe a whiran.  I played for a little bit and basically left to play Blue Facial.  

Eventually I came back and started up an asssassin in Tuluk.  Ended up having a lot of fun and even stuck with it when the skill percentages were removed.  ;)

Since then I've played on and off.

*bumping up a seven month old topic for my single post*

I used to DM for Darksun campaigns when I was younger (12-15yr old,
I'm 24 now) and I started mudding on Carrionfields some PK RP (kinda)
mud. Maybe a couple years after I started playing that (16 yrs old maybe)
I ended up doing a search for dark sun and mud and whammo, got
Armageddon.

So I give it a try, immediately make a sorcerer (no karma then) and die
when I try gathering just outside the gates. I was twinky to no end. I
remember making a water elementalist and spamming cast [spell name]
repeatedly without ever making it go through, thinking that it may up the
spell %/level. No avail, and an immortal scratched his chin.

So anyways, every two or so years I'd come back to the mud and make
a character or four that each dies in the same day I make it. Finally,
maybe two years ago I make a human, rp cutting up a corpse and get
d-elf karma, then make a d-elf and play a few gith cause they were open
then and got hooked a bit, but was still sorta twinky in a "I don't emote I
spam hunt to skill raise and my desert elves are humans that can run
far" kinda way. Chars all died and I got busy with rl stuff again.

Anyways, thats then, and come July of last year '04 I say what the hell,
and made a character, and wow, I did alright with that character and I
could safely say I'm no longer noobie anymore, not by far. He died and
I've had other characters since and I'm re-hooked.

My story,
Ktavialt

I started mudding when I was 13, on a place called Alexmud.

I moved to one called Ravenmud, due to a single death message, "Your slash removes the head from a filthy cat, which rolls away with a look of horror on it's face."

Played that one for awhile, while also playing two other muds, "Realms of Illusion" and "Black Aria".  Got the highest level possible on the side muds, had three high level characters on raven mud, and just abruptly got incredibly bored of hack'n slash.

I searched for muds on the mud connector, luckily Armageddon starts with an A, and I found it.  Applied for a character, got rejected, and said fuck it.  Later in the year 199...8?  I think?  I got bored of H&S again, and reapplied.  Received my character.  Attacked the first npc I saw, which was an unarmed slave, got thrown in jail, and met a templar.  He could tell I was a newbie, had pity, and released me, when I promptly left the gates and died to a scrab.

I can't play anywhere else anymore.  I laugh in the face of other 'RPi' muds.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I found it off the top mud site place after getting irritated over the game I'd been playing. It was a general sort of hack and slash sort, with quests you could do 50 times, levels, etc etc. And it was free for a month, then after that it started reminding you that you should make a 50 dollar donation. Then, if you wanted perks, like sleeping to heal faster, etc etc, you had to pay more. It was somewhat decent when I started, but the longer it went, the doofier it got. The final straw was a big 'plague' that swept the realm... Where everyone started farting and got dibilitating abdominal cramps.  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:
So I took a peek at some of the other games offered, starting at the top of the TMS list and reading about them, trying some of them, and found Armageddon. My first char died within a RL week, and I was hooked. Now the only time I try one of the other games, is for amusement properties, make a char and run around fishing and catching butterflies for some mind-numbing. Sort of like playing 20 games of computer solitaire, not a whole lot of thought required.  :wink:
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

February 11, 2005, 01:39:23 AM #68 Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 03:29:47 AM by Dystopia
(null)

I certainly don't miss the color. Especially when with the previously stated game, there was a spam message in neon colors about every 15-30 minutes that reminds you to go vote on TMS.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

I got bored of Achaea within the month and searched TMS, and got interested in the permadeath aspect. I always thought reincarnation was..well stupid.  

Quote from: "CRW"How badly Achaea sucked.

Worth repeating.
Lovehina- Ken Akamatsu

Quote from: "SewerRat_inTheOpen"
Quote from: "CRW"How badly Achaea sucked.

Worth repeating.

Again. I really don't get how they manage SO many votes. Seriously. I can't imagine that many people wanting to play it.

I can't imagine that many people wanting to watch RAW wrestling every week.   :P  People have different tastes.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Two reasons:

i) A friend called Cenghiz "The pale, gay-looking man" told me about ARM.

and

ii) the jet-skinned templar called Shome.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT