What made you join?

Started by Trenidor, March 13, 2004, 07:39:43 PM

Nidhogg has good taste....   (watch the movie and you'll get the joke, people!)

I played on an "RP-encouraged" Wheel of Time MUD for about 5 years. It was reasonably fun, but had huge problems with "well, my character should be able to do X, and you can't do that because if my character could do X I'd already have avoided it..." kind of arguments. Staff members actually quit (or were fired) over arguments like those, and you can guess the kind of playing environment it created. PK was a huge problem, because while the code supported it, without permadeath or looting it didn't MEAN anything and just led to more and more people bitching (You can't do that! I was in my room with my 20000 NPC guards! No, they weren't coded but I should have them! I even emoted them just before you got there!)  Eventually, the people running it got tired of doing so, and it closed.

When it closed, I went looking for a MUD where I could get the solid RP hook that I had come to like, but without all the OOC bitching about "well, I should be able to do X but the code doesn't support it." The Mud Connector led eventually me to Armageddon. My first character took 4 hours to create, and died forever in only 3. My next lived for more than 75 days of playtime. set Addiction = "yes".  :wink:

I'm another Dark and Shattered Lands refugee.

Well, I still play there occassionaly. Because I'm important there and my chracter's a little bitch on arm. But I'm constantly impressed by the way Arm does everything[/b] better.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I started MUDing when my friend found a crappy MUD under the disguise of RPing called Threshold.  (It's up there on the top 10 usually) Got addicted to that.   THEN he started going on and on and on and on about this MUD called Armageddon.  Sounds like absolute crap, what with perma-death and a post-apocalypse that didn't have metal and the remains of society. WHAT THE HELL!?!?

He tied me down and made me make a character one night. Played it for about 10 minutes, desided I didn't like it, and went link-dead in the tavern in Red Storm.  Three months later I decided to give it another try. About 600 of my coins had been stolen by then, and a merchant took me, spotting that I was a newb.  I belive I was hired to assassinate a templar with my very first character too! Of coarse it didn't work as I tried to kill everything ever spawned and ended up getting lost and dying in the Rinth somewhere. I was addicted.

The same friend that made me make a character now hates me for spending all my time on Armageddon.  Ain't that a twist of fate? He hates teh Arm now. I think I'll have to kill him.... :twisted:
i] Sarge's Lifting Advice:[/i] Don't lift with your legs. Your back's the strongest muscle in your body! And look man, your knees aren't even locked. How do you expect to stand up straight? Put your groin into it!

I was introduced to Armageddon by a friend of mine who had been playing since 95, we frequently played a tabletop called Dark Conspiracy and I was looking for a fix to get my dose of RP inbetween games and he refered me hear. I've been hooked since. Played around 3 years.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Well my first MUD was Dragon Realms and at that time when I was young I thought it was the best in the world,  soon I didn't like the clear greed driven actions of simutronic's so I left.  I tried other muds and being spoiled by the easy user friendly system I quit muds all togather.

I waits a few years tried muds again and found most rp to either be A.) Not there B.)To be ruled simply by sterotypical anime cliche cute little character who are by far the most annoying with their cute run on not funny jokes.  ARGH!
I found Arm on topmudsites.

So far I've gone through two characters in 3 days both have been a blast to play.  I really enjoy arm, aside the waiting period for new characters.

Sigh, I was pulled into Armageddon by Elvenchipmunk (no no, he wasn't the reason, dear god no, but he told me about it)

I came from Medievia about 4 or 5 months ago, a huge H&S MUD.  I constantly told elvenchipmunk how Medievia had the gigantic average of people online at 500 or 600 people.  It got really boring after a while.  Kill this, kill that, get some phat lewt, level up, do quests... that sorta thing.

Finally, I decided to give Armageddon a try at my school.  Made my first character, he got promptly killed by a bad player, who happened to be another friend, sitting right next to me...

Second character, sorta got bored of him and attacked a templar.  Third character, went strong for about 4 and a half days, and with him, that's where I really got the hang of all the emoting and the world.  I was just really enticed by the permadeath.  If you're running from something vicious in Medievia, you could probably just whip out a handy teleport spell, or just run without a care, because in 5 minutes, you're back to life.

In Armageddon, however, if you're chased by something vicious, you had better run!  The realism of the game was astounding to me.  You hire someone to assassinate your enemy(or you do the deed yourself), you can be sure you ain't seeing them again, ever.  Great thing, no global communications, only have two hands (unlike the H&S style four hands, light, wield, hold, shield/offhand weapon), people had personality.  They weren't just your average experience-getter.  There was actually law within the cities.  In Medievia you could kill 10 guards and 50 commoner NPC's, and nobody gives a shit.  

Arm's great!  No levels, no experience-points, hardly any numbers, except when you're dealing with coins. The shops in Armageddon actually sell you things you would wanna use.  You're not going zone-to-zone for phat EQ or anything like that.  Just so realistic...

One thing I have to say to Elvenchipmunk:  Damn you...! :P
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

I started playing Armageddon when I became too frustrated with Accursed Lands, a game I have played for several years.  The OOC atmosphere was absolutely terrible--the creators have built a very thick wall between themselves and the players and there is cheating out the waa-zoo.

I thought, "So what if it's a diku.. I might as well try it."  

And here I am.  Lovely Armageddon!  I love you!

Well... I got into it because of my boyfriend.  He'd be playing Armageddon, I'd be watching movies... or something.  Asked about it... and he started telling me all about it.  Figured... "Okay, sounds neat, I'll go check it out and give it a whirl."  

I'd never done anything like this before.  Amazed my boyfriend and even myself that my first character lasted about ... well, a long time.  I started at the end of July 2004, have been playing ever since.  Took to the game really quick, and I love the roleplaying.

Currently juggling gaming here, and at Dreams and Awake.
After knocking back a mouthful of the contents of a full shot-glass, toking away on a rolled joint directly afterwards you say in desert-accented sirihish:
"They call me Tuber, and my son is Tuber-tot."

Armageddon was mentioned on the Cantr II forums (a browser-based online game, text-only, about as RP intensive as Arm... I run the forums there.)

I decided to take a look.
I liked the sound of it.
I read most of the documentation.
I liked it more. I joined.

This is the first proper MUD I've ever played, too.

First MUD I've every played, i tend to stick to M*'s. ^_^ I found it  from a beautifully written review, and I had to check it out. I've been enamoured ever since.  :D

AOL - Dragon Realms.. AOL decided it would cost money, so I stopped MUDding..

Friend introduces me into SWMUD, so I play there a while.. its fun, but theres no Rp.. and you have to go get equipment every boot.  Also, you respawn..  and once you memorize locations, you can be uber.

I bounce around for a while, playing on SWMUD, and even.. *shudder* an aber MUD called aberPhoenix.  Eventually, quite randomly, I find Arm..  its cool, so I make a character.. die.. get bored and leave.

About three years after that, a friend and I are playing GWSE (a game where the IMM is an insane powerhungry freak, who randomly teleports in and kills people for fun.. even if the game itself is quite well made.)  and we migrate over to Arm.. somehow.  So, I was there.. played a bit, posted on the GDB, and pissed a lot of people off..  or, at least, some people off.  I stop for a while, RL concerns taking over.. then start back, make a Human, have fun.. randomly get D-Elf karma.. now I have a D-Elf, and I'm having fun.
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

I made myself join.

Now I wish I could blame someone else.

I first started mudding in probably 1994, attracted by all the signs in the University computer labs that said, "No MUDs!". I landed at a place called Threshold, which was just starting out at that time. I played there for a good long time, building up one of the most powerful PCs on the mud, a  catfolk thief by the name of Magnus. At first I was only attracted to the hack and slash elements of the game, but I eventually tired of that and got involved in roleplaying.

While there, I met a PC by the name of Jolanda. We struck up an OOC friendship as well, and she kept telling me that I needed to try out a mud called Armageddon, if I was really interested in roleplaying. I finally relented and submitted a PC. I wasn't able to really get into the game, though. It just was too different from the environment I was used to. Eventually I got really tired of Threshold and flitted around to various other muds, mainly Darkemud clones. Finally I found myself back on Armageddon, this time determined to give it an honest try. I did, and I was hooked.

I played for a while, no really influential or important PCs. My longest lived PC (around 2 RL years) was in a now-defunct iso-clan. I played a couple of other PCs after that before being asked to join staff (that was before the application process).

I staffed for a little over a year, before I took a new job that didn't really allow me the time for staffing. At that point I retired, but I still keep up with the community through the discussion boards and occasionally logging into the mud to talk to the staff.
ack to retirement for the school year.

Well, I've been mudding for over a year now and have been playing SOI for the majority of that time.. just yesterday I decided I needed a change-up and here I am. I got in contact with a helper who helped (duh) me and explained some things and once I got into chargen and I was accepted first try.  8)

What can I say.. I'm hooked. Armageddon is amazing. I feel like my efforts aren't wasted when I'm solo roleplaying or just thinking. I wish I had better play times (right now I'm only able to manage a couple hours every day) because it seems like everytime I log in that I'm finding myself being sucked in by some incredible plot-line, or meeting some incredibly interesting characters.

Unfortunately, I hear that alot of first time characters bite the dust... and that sort of makes me nervous. Althought I used a very generic background, the character is quickly growing on me and I'm starting to get a feel for it. Hopefully I'll be able to make this one last. I'm having way to much fun.

April 21, 2005, 11:29:53 AM #114 Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 02:00:31 PM by mansa
Quote from: KankmanYeah DSL was actually started by an immortal from Moosehead, around the same time Redemption was as well.. DSL is the perfect example of "roleplay encouraged".

I remember during my early days of playing armageddon, while I was still involved in redemption for some reason...a friend of mine dragged me to a redemption player meeting at the BK on rideau street where we had a spitball fight with someone named Jehu.  Ya, that's right.  He went by his character name in real life...what a turd.

I remember at one point, arm stopped allowing free email addresses to apply for characters.  I got pissed off and emailed the freenet staff and had them remove armageddon from the list of available muds...I think I may have pissed off a couple people without knowing it.  My bad.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I used to play h and s's all the time, but they were lacking something... I think i heard cameron0202 talking about it.. with someone else, and i thought hey, that sounds cool, so i checked it out, and have been playing ever since, religiously.
your mother is an elf.