How far is too far to go in public?

Started by Carida, March 07, 2004, 09:45:06 PM

Alright, now I'm not talking about in a private room.. or.. a area with very little people.. or some place in the back..

I'm talking about a full to bursting tavern.. how far is too far to go with affection? There's a kiss here and there, maybe a pat on the thigh.. but .. what about sucking earlobes and full out  making out with tongues.. and sucking on necks..

I'm curious what everyone thinks. How far is too far?
The Duty Of The One Inspired By The Muse~
          ~~
So sleep now
my longing heart, do not worry I won't tarry.
We shall be together in your dreams,
to be happy and make merry.
               ~~

..I know.. I'm a romantic.. its disgusting..

*snicker*

I think I know who you're talking about.

They should have to ask for OOC consent from -everyone- in the room.  Then, pending answers...uh...play on?

Although, it -is- annoying to see in a place where people are just hanging out.  It's like unnecessary spam.

Pay for the room.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I'd say when the nipple makes its first appearance.

Heh, seriously I say that there really isn't any established norm.  The people of Allanak are probably fairly conservative (with women tending to wear low dresses so as not to be seen as common whores), and the people of Tuluk seem to be less so.  Beyond that, go with what your character (and everybody else in the tavern) seem to be telling you.
Back from a long retirement

When the activity starts involving the genitals, or where you would need to ask for consent in a normal place, is probably a time when it wouldn't be accepted in a tavern and they'd tell you to get a room or get out.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Personally, dramatic public displays of affection grate on my nerves. I mean, give your mate a quick kiss hello goodbye, a fond squeeze of the arm or leg, that's great. But when people start slobbering over each other and getting all touchie-feelie at the dinner table (and that's what those tables at taverns are, for the most part) and that's when I start thinking - get a fucking room and don't subject me to that shit.

If I want my character to make out with their mate or fuck-buddy, we'll take it somewhere that other people don't have to see it. Even if it's just a hot wet kiss or constant fondling. I just think there's a line between what could be considered a tasteful or subtle display of affection, and going too far.

It's also one thing when you -think- no one's watching, but you just happen to be in a room or place where people can watch and you don't realize it, and intentionally making out in front of a crowd of people.

It also depends on where this is taking place. In a quiet corner of a big garden where other lovers wander by holding hands and being romantic - that's great. But in the main room of a tavern? Eh. Not to my liking. I won't make a big stink about it, but my character might be tempted to comment or two, depending on who I'm playing. Maybe my character would shrug it off and just look the other way..or be disgusted and leave..or be disgusted and demand by the power of my authority as Tek's booty-baby to get a room, pronto. Or hell - maybe I'll order them to come with me and we can have a threesome!

But no, I don't like public displays of affection other than what my own grandmother would feel comfortable seeing if I was with my husband in a restaurant.

I know what you're talking about, actually.

In their defense, they're both very fresh newbies...
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Bestatte"Personally, dramatic public displays of affection grate on my nerves.
ICly I can understand that. OOCly I don't get the big deal. I say as long as it doesn't need consent, go for it. Expect IC consequences, but I see very little IC problem with it, depending on the tavern (I'm thinking taverns in the rinth wouldn't care one whit if you started having sex there).

I've seen some stuff in fairly normal clubs that went a lot further than what you describe. I could see lapdances in the Gaj not shocking many people. Would I as a player want to see it? Hahaha... I'm giggling too much to answer. :lol:
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]

Let em screw on the tables if they aren't graphic to the point of needing consent.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

RL, making out in bars and taverns, although not within the accepted norms of the western society, is not uncommon.  In game,  Zalanthas has a different set of norms and cultures from RL, and from what I've read of the docs, and heard from the staff, they are very much different - looser.  Multiple partners, public displays of affections, etc.

Some of this might make players - including myself - uncomfortable, and that's understandable considering most of us grew up with the Western culture's norms and mindsets.  However, I want to point out that, often if someone is doing something that seems borderline offensive, there usually is a reason behind it.  So, put aside your uneasiness, as much as you can, and think about it.  Is there anything unusual about that person/pair?  Are they from different houses?  Different cities/cultures?  Career differences?  Magickers?  Poor/rich?  

In my experience, I find that most players often perform certain scenes for a specific reason.  Usually to try elict IC reactions, whether good or bad, from people.  And, from what I know of this case that the original poster is referring to, there was definitely a reason.
A Converted Prude

In some taverns, specifically a place like that Gaj, I don't think I'd be too shocked by a subtly emoted sex scene. I figure that quiet often, people are probebly subject to the barmaid on the bynners lap, moving a bit oddly beneath that skirt of hers, and both making funky faces.

Now, I could see if said people are stripping down naked like they were in the confines of their home or a private room being a problem, but in the way as mentioned above, my character might glance their way, stare oddly for a few moments... And then give a few whistles and cheers of encouragement for the lucky suckers getting it on.

In a place like the Barrel, it might be rare, and in the Trader's or Sanctuary, unheard of unless it was Noble A playing secret games beneath the table with Noble B's undergarments. The Tembo's Tooth, I'd imagine has quiet frequent displays, sometimes probably even going too far, with all the hormones and, intoxication, and spice going around that place.  :wink:

In such a harsh World where sex is a pretty common thing though, I don't think it'd be too rare, or really shocking at all. Even the occasional 'display it all' fest would probably happen, leading to guard intervention, or perhaps the Bartender charging admission to watch.

RL PDA can be obnoxious without being anywhere close to graphic.   But the same is true of nose-picking or talking with a mouth full of food.   But being ICly obnoxious isn't bad roleplay.  

Now if it is graphic to the point that it's flirting with the consent rule, that is ridiculous.    But otherwise, not a big deal or inappropriate roleplay IMHO.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

If I am in a place where it is rather public, like the barrel for example, with the gambling tables upstairs, rambling drunks. And I wasn't on the balcony, as in like the antichamber or the main room, It would be very innapropriate, unless it was a quick
Ooc We are just going to say we made wild love on the floor next to the archway, alright?
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

Hmmm... what about sacac's sig? That goes into the same direction.  :P

I take it from a total IC perspective.  Some characters, would shoot the couple dirty looks, some would watch intently, some would ignore it entirely.

Quotesome would watch intently

>emote bows quickly towards ~noble

>tell noble Ummm, M'Lord?  Can I help you?  Why are you staring at us?

With a wide grin, the well-dressed nobleman says to you in Sirihish
   "Don't mind me.  Keep going.  Though, if you could both turn a bit to the left that would be great..."

:D

Seriously, though, OOCly I don't mind this sort of thing within reason.  I think it should stop or move to a more private location when its time for consent protocals, since you can't ask consent of everyone who may just walk into the middle of the scene.

Make sure that your "private" place really is private.  It is disconcerting to be walking down a busy road and get echos of carnal emotes from a place that overlooks the road but is sometimes mistaken for private.  :roll:  Not bad mind you, just surprising.  Since my characters are usually voyuristic perverts I grab a bag of popcorn and settle in to watch.  

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"It is disconcerting to be walking down a busy road and get echos of carnal emotes from a place that overlooks the road
People on the road get echos from that place?  :shock:

That's the last time I ever have a PC mother. Was wondering how she knew what I was up to  :x

Yes, John, there are places that you can see from the road...just as there are places that can see the road...so yes, I would suggest making sure on the whole privacy thing.  Personally, I would have no problem with anyone getting down and dirty in public...but if it got to where 'consent' was needed to be asked, I would request privacy...just because you can't ask consent of any random person that might walk in, as has been mentioned.  I would give it...but you have to ask before I walk in and see...
QuoteThe dood wraps his lips around the chick's large boobie and pretends he is an infant all over again.
...no matter how much I would laugh at that emote...and tell stories about it, both IC and OOC.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Blow job under the table.. Thats my limit.. :wink:
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Quote from: "Barzalene"Let em screw on the tables if they aren't graphic to the point of needing consent.
This is an OOC comment for the OOC issues brought up.  I'd just like to remind everyone though that even if it was posted "ooc let's say we just did it on the floor" our characters would still see... that means IC reactions.  

Icly (as stated) it just depends on the place and person.  And such actions should be preformed expecting –IC- reactions.  I mean, if I was a templar or noble who came in and saw, I might decided that they evidently like performing in front of people (we should use the arena more often  :twisted: )
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: "sarahjc"Blow job under the table.. Thats my limit.. :wink:
Your limit...but is that an offer?  :twisted:

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"
Quote from: "sarahjc"Blow job under the table.. Thats my limit.. :wink:
Your limit...but is that an offer?  :twisted:

Heh.. you paying?
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Don't tell me, you're playing the one-legged prostitute, aren't you?

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"I'd say when the nipple makes its first appearance.

*snicker* Nice quotation.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]