Is anyone using this email adress?

Started by Akaramu, March 02, 2004, 01:46:20 PM

Hmmm... I just received a strange email titled "approved", by paulagarvin@hotmail.com. With an attachment and a note to have a look at it. I have never received spam or "unsafe" email to that box in years, so I give it the benefit of the doubt, but I definitely dont open attachments from unknown senders.

If this was any of you, please PM me.

I can almost guarantee that's a virus of some sort.  I've been getting stuff like that for a few days now, just a simple title, message saying to open the attachment and a file.

Delete it
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Would be a first in many, many years then. *sigh*

Delete it, and speak to the people you confer with via that email box regularly.  One of your contacts possibly has one of the viruses that has been circulating lately.
Ashyom

As someone that used to receive emails for a living, yes, that is most likely virus spam.  In fact, I would say nearly 100%.  Someone else is infected with a virus and has your email in their email client, so it got sent to you too.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Highly likely it's a virus. "Approved" is a common title of Spam messages.

The reason why you got spam? Your ISP may have sold your email address off to Spammers, it's been known to happen.

Quote from: "gfair"Highly likely it's a virus. "Approved" is a common title of Spam messages.

The reason why you got spam? Your ISP may have sold your email address off to Spammers, it's been known to happen.

I work at an ISP, and it's been known to happen is a lot like. "My brother's best friend heard about this baby born with two heads"  

Though I wouldn't put any money making scheme beyond my boss, he would sell ear wax if he thought it would make money.

Quote from: "gfair"The reason why you got spam? Your ISP may have sold your email address off to Spammers, it's been known to happen.

Like I said, I havent gotten any spam or virus mail in many many years, so that is very unlikely.

You should note that the e-mail address that virii/spam come on can be spoofed.  I've gotten a virus e-mail from a friend who's system I know is absolutely secure, though it was one of his e-mail accounts that is listen publicly in a few places.  Also I've gotten spam e-mail with MY e-mail listed as the sender.