Hey Man! Don't steal my thunder.. .

Started by sarahjc, March 01, 2004, 04:22:11 PM

Ever notice that sometimes when you see one person doing something refreshing and different, or you do something really interesting and different, all of a sudden you start to see a few people taking up variations of that same idea. I notice this every once and a while in game. So do you take offense to this kind of behavior, or do you see imitation as the highest for of flattery?
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I get annoyed, unless the character is intentionally trying to emulate mine.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Flattery, definitely.

The most blatant example of imitation I can remember coming across in recent times was with a certain character of mine who had a distinctly unusual short description. He had a reasonable lifespan in a very dangerous line of work in a region at the other end of the world to the one he was born in. After a while things caught up with him, and he died, and I made a new character back in the city he came from, having not played there for several months.

My last character then proceeds to walk through the door of the tavern I'm sitting in, and spoke with exactly the same accent as he did while alive. I experienced a very surreal moment before I noticed that the sdesc wasn't exactly identical; it was missing a comma. After getting to observe him for a bit longer on one or two more occasions, I realised he was something of a newbie, and bethought me of some of the deceased newbie characters who'd run afoul of my character on the other side of the world. Evidently I'd made an impact. There was a little lingering annoyance, but mostly I was pleased by the notion that someone wanted to model their character on one of mine.

Quirk
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

Everybody took my keyword and used it for their characters.  *grumbles*
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I like it when that happenes.  It means that someone likes/respects/admires my character enough on some level ICly or OOCly to want to immitate him.

I will always be the original, the underived.  I am the Alpha and the Omega, who is, who was, and who is to come.

Quote from: "Anonymous"I will always be the original, the underived.  I am the Alpha and the Omega, who is, who was, and who is to come.

He's so original he/she won't tell us their board name, so it can not be copied!

Quote from: "grog"
Quote from: "Anonymous"I will always be the original, the underived.  I am the Alpha and the Omega, who is, who was, and who is to come.

He's so original he/she won't tell us their board name, so it can not be copied!

Um...guest -is- his board name ;)
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Really, he must post alot then?

:roll:

lol, yep.  More than anyone else.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Hey Man! Don't steel my topic!. Take it to the Derailment Exp... :wink:

Back on track.. I do think it cool when people take an idea that was once mine and run with it. But there is also there is that slight tinge that they are steeling away with my cool little bit of thunder..
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I don't really care, I think everyone should just go with whatever they like and if they think of something cool too, great.

I've also thought of this as well, just because I haven't seen it before I started doing it, doesn't mean someone has never done it or something like it before. *shrugs*

Sometimes I see different variations of the same idea....and one will just stand out to me as being much cooler than the rest.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

This reminds me of second-grade all through my life till now....

Starting from the begining:

1.I didn't want to eat pudding, and then no one else did.
2.I liked nintendo----- everyone bought SNESs
3.I liked to watch x-files---everyone else wanted to watch x-files
4.I read Harry Potter---Everyone else read harry potter
5.I read lord of the rings---everyone else read lord of the rings
6.I saw lord of the rings----everyone else saw lord of the rings
7.I started playing arm----well, this is still happening
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Happens to me all the time too:

I breath.  Everyone else breathes.

I drink.  Everyone drinks.

I eat.  Everyone eats.

Uncanny.