Mounting 2 people on 1 mount

Started by AaronG, February 29, 2004, 02:50:10 AM

This message concerns having two people on one mount.
I'm not sure if there are any mounts that carry two people or if the beasts in Zalanthas are shaped for only one but it would be very realstic (possibly), efficient, and neat to be able to have two people on one mount.

-Please take this into consideration

AaronG   (the kank whisperer)  :roll: [/u]

Heh, go check the other threads concerning this. It's been argued time and again.

The only way, atm, to have two people ride a mount, is to have your friend type nosave, then:

>subdue friend
>mount
>have at fiend

Be aware, you are at a MAJOR disadvantage when doing this, ie. you die QUICK when an aggro critter ambles on in to the scene.

Its also a coding hell (I hear from the coders at least). And it peripherally effects many things from fighting, charge, hitching, following, naming mounts, packing, etc.

Gilvar brings up a good point.  But one word mentioned got me thinking: pack.

Could there be some sort of basket or seat that could code wise carry someone?  Then that could simply be mounted onto said animal.  Not exactly realistic, but not bad.  Simply a basket type seat that is able to be carried by strong animals.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Disclaimer:  The following is based off of how I have seen the ride command done and handled on another DIKU based mud.  Depending on the way Armageddon has done and handled the ride command, this whole post could be a crock of dung.

There actually is a fairly easy way to do this.  You can look at it two ways.  From the main rider or the passenger.  The main rider would have  commands similar to hitch and unhitch.  The basics of the command would be simple.  The passenger would merely be hitching a ride.  They would have all the + and - as a normal rider or maybe even more, maybe less.  Of course the person hitching a ride would be limited to NOT commanding the mount, but would sustain the same effects that the rider did.  When looking at it from the pasenger's point of view, it would be much like a modified follow and dismount command.  Get my drift?  It's a fairly easy concept it seems.  Of course, instead of making new commands, you could actually just add some IF statements to the current commands and a couple new flags or positions, which would make it MUCH easier.

Couple of examples.

>mount kank  
You climb onto a blue kank as a passenger.
>mount kank
The blue kank cannot have another passenger.
>mount kank
The tiny blue kank is to small for a passenger.

From the main rider.  (same would be possible for the passenger)
>dismount fred
Pulling on the reins of a blue kank, you throw an elbow knocking fred off the back of your kank.
>dismount fred
Throwing an elbow at fred, you try and dismount him but fail.
>dismount fred
You fall to the ground as you fail dismounting fred from a blue kank.  Fred takes control of a blue kank.
Fred rides south on a blue kank.

You think: Krath, another kank lost!!!!!!

I'm not sure how Arm does their riding code, but the other stuff I've seen is fairly simple.  When a PC is riding a mount, the following happens:

1.  The mount follows them.
2.  The PC is flagged CH_RIDING
3.  The PC's long desc changes.  Fred is here, riding a blue kank.

KABOOM, your riding a kank!!  In actuallity what happens.

1.  Your PC checked for the ride skill, it will either fail or pass.
2.  Movement no longer is taken from your PC, it is taken from your mount.
3.  Your PC falls under a new set of rules.  IE:  You are not walking anymore, so you may have some different effects and outcomes.
dropped everything and held my breath. This could not be happening. This was not my life. I began panting, all alone in a locked cubicle in a half-decent restaurant in France with a dead tapeworm hanging out my ass.

Hrrm, sounds interesting. I like Crashloft.

Why not have the mount have two positions (or more)
rider and passenger(s)

mount->rider (is a pc/npc)
mount->passenger (is a list of pc/npc)
Also make it so each mount has a max_rider number.

Passenger has no command over the kank.
Rider gets same commands as of now with another.
make <mount> allowothers (toggleable)

So all the riding related skills and checks are based on the rider
alone. Perhaps with some penalties for how many people you
have on the mount with you. The passenger can become the rider
by the use of the hitch command, just like anyone else. if the
mount is able to be hitched. I.E. not hitched to anyone else.

Passengers can fight but then again, they are still under the
penalties for riding, might fall off etc. To remove passengers,
you can ask them nicely or rest the kank and everyone has to
stand. If the kank isnt allowing multiple riders they can't get back on. Likely under the current system, would tire mounts out a lot faster.

Bob1, Bob2, Inix are the actors. Bob1 is the rider.
Bob1: hitch inix me
Bob1: make inix allow others
Bob2: Mount inix
Bob1: make inix allow others (now no one else can get on)
Bob1: mount
Bob1: say Let's go.

Two people on one mount?  I think that's covered in roleplaying discussions, under the heading "relationships in Zalanthas"...

Alright, this is complicated and bizarre but if it works, I'll use it,

Thanks to everyone and anyone who eplained this to me!