Yes
25 (65.8%)
No
9 (23.7%)
Other
4 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: February 26, 2004, 01:30:53 PM

An IRC discussion brought up a problem with weight management. There is no way to find out the weight of an object without using Value or paying to get it weighed.  Of course, being able to get the exact weight of an object is unrealistic; we can't get the exact weight of an object in real life (unless we have a scale, or experience in that sort of stuff). So for that case, value works fine.

But... in real life, if you gave me two objects that have a fairly large weight difference, it would be easy for me to judge that one is heavier than the other. I don't see any indication that Zalanthians wouldn't have the same basic skill. So.. my idea:
A "weigh" command that allows you to compare the weight of two objects, requiring two free hands.
>weigh bone obsidian
You compare the weights of a bone broadsword and an obsidian longsword.
You conclude that an obsidian longsword is {slightly heavier than|about the same weight as|much heavier than} a bone broadsword.

Feedback?  :wink:

I seem to remember this message when I pick an object up, you pick up so and so, it is very light.  

Might that be along the lines your looking for?

Well..
Yes:
two easily manageable swords may not way the same, and I would want the one that is lighter.
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

Its called value. Deal with it.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "uberjazz"Its called value. Deal with it.
For determining exact weight, value is fine.
The point is that in real life, anyone can compare the weight of two objects - it doesn't require special skills.

Quote from: "value from helpfiles"This skill allows those that have been trained in the day to day commerce to accurately estimate the cost and weight (in stones) of an item, thereby being able to judge how much to sell it for.

Uberjazz, that isn't what is being disucessed here.  It shouldn't take skill to figure out if the pebble you hold in your right hand is lighter or more heavy than the bolt you hold in your left hand.  If there is a lot of difference in weight, you should be able to tell.  

When you view an item in a shop it tells you about how heavy an object is and if you'd be able to use it... this "compare skill" would work about the same way.  Is item A lighter or heavier than item B, no real coded skill needed.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Hmm...maybe you're right.  I can see comparing two objects you have in your inventory with a rough estimate, but not two items that are in a shop's inventory.  And merchants and people with value should be better at this.  Well, they'd probably just use Value instead, but a weigh command might be a good idea.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

What about making a weigh skill available to all classes, but better for merchants?

You might have a rough idea of how much something weighs (within four or so stones with objects that way about 20 stones, and maybe 20 or so with ones that weigh in the hundreds) and gets better and more accurate as the skill goes up? Each class could have a limited version of this, with merchant having the best.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

I like it, but I'd suggest maybe just allowing value to have two arguments.

>value thingamajig  dohickey

The orange-striped thingamajig seems to be more valuable than the indigo-splashed dohickey.
The indigo-splashed dohickey seems to weigh much more than the orange-striped thingamajig.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Whenyou pay to get it weighed it is placed on a scale like device (for most I think)

Anyway, I'm for this idea I guess, I'd like the added feature to the value command.
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Quote from: "flurry"I like it, but I'd suggest maybe just allowing value to have two arguments.

>value thingamajig  dohickey

The orange-striped thingamajig seems to be more valuable than the indigo-splashed dohickey.
The indigo-splashed dohickey seems to weigh much more than the orange-striped thingamajig.

Value already tells you an items weight if you succeed, so I'm not sure where you are going here.

I've thought for a long time a 'compare' like command would make perfect sense.

I'm just saying that 'value' with one argument would work the ordinary way, and with two arguments would be what you call 'compare'.  It's just a cosmetic thing.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

The problem is that not everyone has value, and comparing objects doesn't require skill. Well, I guess your idea would work if the 'compare' part of it didn't actually require the value skill, so that everyone could use it.

Oops.  Yeah, nevermind.  I thought I was making things less complicated but I'm not.

I think it would be neat.

Yeah this is a sweet idea.

The muscular bouncer looks between both of his massive war mauls, eyes squinted

<2000/2000hp 2000/2000stun 2000/2000mv> weight maul 2.maul

You compare the weights of a massive bone war maul and a massive obsidian war maul.
You conclude that a massive obsidian war maul is much heavier than a massive bone war maul.

<2000/2000hp 2000/2000stun 2000/2000mv> think I should probably hit that feckin' wench over
her krath forsaken head with the bone one..I do not want to kill her.

<2000/2000hp 2000/2000stun 2000/2000mv>
You think "I should probably hit that feckin' wench over her krath forsaken head with the bone one..I do not want to kill her."

<2000/2000hp 2000/2000stun 2000/2000mv>The thick bar wench squeals loudly as she spots you!

<2000/2000hp 2000/2000stun 2000/2000mv> think *as he looks down at a massive obsidian war
maul* Perhaps it is good I have this as well.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

I am so down with this idea.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"I am so down with this idea.
Bingo. This is just a little flavour command. It does not tell the exact weights...it compares. Nothing wrong with this.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Yeah, I think it would be reasonable and helpful.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "spawnloser"I am so down with this idea.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Get the IC information about a stone bottle.

>Value bottle

A stone bottle is weighed 600 stones.
A stone bottle has a value of 999 obsidian coins.

>think I am dumb.
>You think "I am dumb."

And I like the weigh command.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Nadav"
Quote from: "uberjazz"Its called value. Deal with it.
For determining exact weight, value is fine.
The point is that in real life, anyone can compare the weight of two objects - it doesn't require special skills.

Just a special code  :roll:
Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
Don't enter the Labyrinth.
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.